• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin ~~ Looking for help with heroin withdrawls ~~

trancespottingpl

Bluelighter
Hey everyone... wow it's been a while since I've been on here...

I'm posting this because I'd like some helpful advice with going through heroin withdrawls.

A little background:
To start off, I started using about 3 years ago, quit for about 8 months during which I was on methadone (went up to aroud 90 mgs and then weaned myself down with a weekly decrease of 3 mgs till I got to around 40 mgs) but was unfortunately kicked out due to an arguement with my counselor... Basically, he refused to let me guest dose at a clinic in the Chicago suburbs because I wanted to visit my family for Thanksgiving, some words were exchanged, and the next day I came in to dose he told me that he'd let me go there for a week more than I wasn't allowed. This was about 9 months ago. During the first two months, I did only about $20-$40 or .1-.2 g of some pretty good dope. I live in Cincinnati most of the year and the stuff is about twice as expensive as Chicago. Quality is similar, although overall, for the money Chicago's stuff is better. So basically now I'm doing anywhere from .3g to 1.0g a day. I usually do two shots a day - one in the morning a little after I wake up, and one before I go to sleep. I'm usually sick by around noon and after the morning shot I need to do another one at nightime or I won't be able to sleep and will begin to experience early withdrawl symptoms. My shots are on average a quarter gram each up to a half gram each. My tolerance has gotten pretty high the past few months - where a .5g shot use to make me nod all day long, I'll usually feel a nice rush, nod for a short time (20 mins or so), and then feel "normal" for about 8-12 more hours. I can't really put a percentage on how pure the dope I do is, but I can say that it's pretty good - someone with a small tolerance (like to where they can get high off 15-20 mgs of hydrocodone) will get nice and high off $20 or .1g. My girlfriend who does it on a regular basis as well can usually nod for an hour or two off .3-.4 snorted or .2 IV'd whereas two percocet 30's will not give her nearly the same effects. I'm trying to provide as much info as possible to give the reader a picture of my tolerance - how much I do, how often I do, how potent the heroin is, etc.

Trying to quit:
So I'm starting my last semester of college and I really can't afford to screw it up. I've managed to balance a heroin addiction and a college education at a prestiguous university but I have my hardest classes to take this year and I need to start looking for a job/internship. I think it's time to quit for a while- I can't afford to do it daily like I have been as it takes up a TON of cash and time as you all know. If I could get to the point to where I only do it once or twice a week and no more, I'd be satisfied. I'm looking for some advice in helping me reach that goal. I plan to go through withdrawls and not do any for a week to get it out of my system and hence lower my tolerance.

What I'd like to know:
How long does it take to get through the worst part of withdrawals? I.E. When will I stop having hot/cold flashes, leg cramps, etc.?
What OTC medicines/herbs/vitamines/etc. can help ease withdrawals?
Should I go to the hospital/doctors office to try to get prescribed something to help? If so, what would you recommend I say? (I really don't want to tell them the truth as I had cancer when I was younger and have been in remission 20+ years but nonetheless my health insurance is expensive and will be even more expensive if the company knows I'm opiate dependent. If I'm out of options I guess I'll have to tell them though.)
After how many days do you think I'll finally be able to sleep, even if only for a few hours? (I know that during the first night, and probably the second, sleep will be out of the question.)
What prescriptions meds or even street drugs may help with withdrawals? ( can't smoke pot b/c I have an upcoming drug test but perhaps JWH is an option? Or something else?)
Any other advice????
Also, I know benzodiazepines may help immensely, however they aren't available in my area (Cincinnati) at the moment.

Thank you to everyone who has read this and provided some beneficial insight. Please do not find any sort of negativity in this, I'm simply asking for help. I know I put myself in this position and that it was dumb, so please save yourself time if you just plan on talking sh!t.

P.L.U.R. & Once again, thanks a ton! Feel free to reply on here or PM me... I'll be checking often as I plan to begin my withdrawals tomorrow.

Hi trainspottingpl! Here in other drugs we have compiled a large amount of information, in order to make a Opioid withdrawal mega thread and FAQ. I advise you to check it out, as it should answer most, if not all of your questions about withdrawal. Here is the link - The Opioid Withdrawal Mega Thread and FAQ

Heroin withdrawal is no fun. I have been on and off dope for a number of years and withdrawals are never fun. Luckily, there are many things you can do to ease the symptoms and make it as bearable as possible. Obviously suboxone or methadone would make things much much easier, but if you cannot access either, there are still many options you have.

Stay strong, you can definitely do it. It won't be fun or easy, but do you best to stay strong and utilize the things available to make it easier. Also have a plan in place for after you get thru the acute physical withdrawals, as the lingering mental aspect of withdrawal, called PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome), is what leads many people to relapse ane catch another habit.

Also, since you have been using opiates for a long time, your plan of "just once or twice a week" is not a good idea. We all think we are strong enough to nly use occasionally, but the majority of us end up right back at square one in a very short amount of time. You may have the willpower to do so, but most don't. Don't take this the wrong way, it is just the reality of the situation.

If you have any other questions that aren't addressed in the mega thread, don't hesitate to post them, or private message me. I have been thru it a number of times and am educated in regards to opiates and dependence/addiction and would be glad to chat with you.

Best of luck! :)

Mike

I was in the same boat with you a few years ago and decided to get on bupe and later on methadone when I had a serious relapse. I have been on 20mg of methadone a day and have really no true cravings. It is easy to find a methadone clinic online and you could honestly be a patient within 24 hours depending on the clinic. But you will be on methadone for quite some time more than likely and it could prove harder to quit than heroin. I have never done heroin, but IME, methadone WD is worse than oxycodone or hydrocodone WD. For me personally, I know I could not quit opiates completely while going to school and bupe/methadone allowed me to maintain great grades while attending college.

But if you want to quit, go buy as much Immodium as you possibly can because 96mg once a day keeps withdrawals 95% away for me and I know it helps a lot of other people, but unfortunately not all. I would also suggest a beta blocker or clonodine for anxiety in addition to a longer acting benzo such as Klonopin or Valium. As far as aches and pains, I would take Aleve or either a prescription NSAID and for sleeping take melatonin or Unisom. Exercise, have sex, and try to stay busy if you decide to kick.

I'll pray for you man.

Thanks!! Sorry I'm kind of new to BL but I'll certainly check out that thread. Suboxone and the online methadone thing sounds good, especially because then I can wean myself off of it. I do agree with that methadone withdrawal is far worse. Perhaps it isn't as intense at first but it lasts a really long time. Some people say they experience WD symptoms for even months. Suboxone might actually be better though in this case because it is dirt cheap in my area plus its easier to get off of than methadone.
Ugh if only someone had some Xanax bars around here. Those would help immensely. I can deal with the cold/hot flashes and other WD symptoms, it's the leg and bone cramps that are unbearable. Anytime someone gets them in, even if its like 150 pills, they're gone in a matter of hours.
I guess I'll try the local urgent care, perhaps they'll give me some kind of benzo or muscle relaxer.

Also, has anyone tried Tramdol, DXM, Promethazine, Bentyl, or Diphenhydramine (Benadryll) to help ease opiate withdrawal? Experiences?

Once again, thank you for your time.

I want to begin by writing a little about "chipping" on heroin while being a opioidaddict.
That is not a very good goal to have.. extremely few people who are heroin or opioid-addicts are able to
'just' use 2 times a week. It takes a ton of willpower.

99% of the cases the individual slowly but steady work up a tolerance and full time addiction again. Thats just how addiction is.
Once bitten and you are screwed. BUT there are a very few cases where the subject actually is able to change the addiction to a once or twice a month thing,
this goes with all drugs, opioids, stims, alcohol etc.

Maybe you can do it for a while but sooner or later you will be where you left off.

I agree, thinking about chipping now is probably not going to help you to get clean. Get clean for a few months before even entertaining the idea IMO, and even then be wary.

The link BP posted has lots of good advice.

You're right about that. For about 4-5 months while on summer vacation last year in Chicago I only did it about 1-2 times a week, but that's mainly because I was staying at my parents house and hanging around old friends I grew up with who don't really do much more than drink and only a handful of them smoke weed. None of them do anything harder. However, as soon as I got back to college it went to 1-2 times per day almost immediately = / Guess you guys are right, I have to change my mindset. However, realistically I don't think I'll be able to completely stay away from opiates for good, at least not for the rest of the year after I go through WD's for the rest of this week. I'm thinking short-term at the moment and to me a goal of lowering my tolerance and doing it 1-2 times per week so I don't go through severe WDs again is far more realistic than completely abstaining. Once I finish grad school, get married, and especially when I have kids I do believe I'll be able to stop for good as those are much greater motivators than quitting so I have more money and better grades. In a way, I kind of wish I had hit rock bottom as many addicts claim that is what led them to change their lives. In terms of taking care of my responsibilities, I tend not to let drugs get in the way and certainly family life carries far more responsibility than going to school and keeping the gf smiling and walking sideways. I guess I'll talk to my gf about this since she lives with me so really she'd be able to give me support and well control me a little so I don't get out of control again. She snorts and occasionally IV's but not daily and promised not to do any while I'm going through WD.
I wish I never tried opiates in the first place... I remember the first time back in high school I ate 3-4 vicodin 7.5's I hated it - I puked, felt like shit, etc. I stuck to primarily smoking high grade marijuana regularly and occasionally LSD, MDMA, benzodiazepines, etc. Ah, and then one day my friend, who was at the beginning stage of opiate addiction, came over one day in my sophomore year of college with an ampule of hydromorphone that had around 4-6 mgs and having no tolerance it felt like nothing I had experienced previously -a full body orgam. Sadly, that "friend" and I had become "copping buddies." Even though he had injected me with hydromorphone, I was still scared of needles for a good while and I only snorted it for about a year or two. Even though I was snorting about a quarter gram daily, I remember some days I wouldn't buy any and I wouldn't experience hardly any withdrawal symptoms. Once I started IV'ing, that all changed = / I do wish though I wouldn't ever IV again. Since all this happened, one person I copped with overdosed and died (this happened about 3 weeks ago) and that same friend who had really introducted me into the scene overdosed while I was in the car with him and would have died if I wasn't there (happened about 2 years ago). Scary stuff now that I look back on it... yet I, and many people in the same boat as me, continue... I know I'll go through WD's this week since I pretty much have to (I'm seeing my rents over the weekend, college started, and I promised my gf I'd help her pay to fix her BMW) but we'll see how it goes... If I could truly limit it to 1-2 times a week as I had done in the past and have my gf control the money n stuff so I don't do more than that maybe it'll work... I do know I eventually want to get off yet I don't think I'd be able to and if I was truly able to do it on Friday/Saturday night and not during the week perhaps I'd savor the occassion and have something to look forward to. It's so freaken easy to get the stuff around here, it's seriously more popular than weed, coke, and crack. The boys on the corner don't ask you if you want weed or hard, they ask you if you want d. Sorry for the long rant, kind of helps to get things out...
Thank you everyone for your interest and help = )

Well I did my last shot. I did .5g which would've killed me if I did that much last summer when I was chipping - good indicator on how high my tolerance is = /
I'm going to break my needles and go pick up some Immodium and Robitussin DM. I know that many people think that doing 1-2 times a week is not a good idea, and I totally agree. I'm only thinking of that as a goal at the minute. Idk what the future will hold and what will happen in terms of my use. I'm going to take each day as it comes. The more days I tell myself I won't do any and actually not do any, the better off I will be in the long run.

SOO...
I appreciate all of your concerns and as mentioned above, I do agree that doing it once or twice a week may lead me right back to full-blown addiction. However, at the moment I'm just trying to get off for a while. get opiates out of my body, and go through WDs. I just want some advice, tips, etc. like that which Wiggi and BrokeDownPalace provided.

I'd especially like to know how long I can expect to go through WDs...

Also, has anyone taken any of the following to help ease withdrawals? If so which ones and what was your experience like? I have the following in my house and perhaps they could help - tramadol, singulair, sudafed, promethazine, bentyl, and silenor a.k.a. doxepin (sleeping pills, but are actually antidepressant in chemical makeup/molecule, however they don't work very well for sleep at least to me)? I know DXM and diphenhydramine can help ease WDs and I will buy some from the pharmacy tonight or tomorrow morning. I also have some OTC leg cramp pills with quinine in them and a bunch of other herbs but they don't help at all.

Lastly, are there any teas or herbs that can help with withdrawals?

I've read the Opiate Withdrawal Megathread and got some good info but I still would like to get more information about the stuff I asked above.

Thanks to everyone and PLUR to all!

Get zofran from the doctor... It will help with the nausea... And 1 .... That's right 1 suboxone sublingual tab and cut it into 10 tiny tabs... Only use 1 if you have to twice a daybut mind over body

Have several of these on hand:

Loperamide - for overall w/d's
DXM - for overall w/d's
Kratom - for overall w/d's
OTC pain relievers (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc) - for pain
Kava/Valerian root - for anxiety and insomnia
5-HTP - for insomnia, depression and anxiety
Ginger root/Peppermint tea - for nausea

Of course, drugs like benzos or marijuana are also helpful but come with risks of their own. Most of the things I listed can easily be found online or in drug stores for cheap.

Godspeed!

I went through horrible withdrawals from Methadone which they say is worse than heroin, I'm not sure cuz I've only used heroin once IV.. I personally would recommend a reputable inpatient detox center, drink tons of water, & if ur anything like I was, its hard to eat, but try even some toast to keep your energy up, & I know its hard to believe but exercise helps, even if u walk a few feet a couple times a day it releases your natural endorphins which is one pleasure chemical, also keep up on the vitamins. Go to your local drug store and buy a box of homeopathic leg cramp medicine for ur RLS (I did & it helped) & if u "know" anybody, see if you can get some valium or klonopin to help..I hate the addiction, & I'm sorry your sick, if all else fails go to a hospital & try to get something, believe it or not even Ultram works for wd's, so does the bp medicine "Clonodine".. I hope I was of some help, I'm still a green lighter :-( But I know all about withdrawals & DT's, I've been through it several times, not to mention, I am a walking pharmacist, meaning that I know all about various OTC & prescription drugs, & the effects they can have on ones body.. Good luck & there is light at the end of this dark tunnel!

I've been taking little pieces of subutex for the past 3 days. Last use was about 6:30 or 7 last night. Just curious now how much longer to wait before taking a piece of suboxone strip. Just now really starting to feel bad. Help!!

Hey, I've been in your situation multiple times in the past, I know how hard it is to be a functioning heroin addict while attending college, props to you for sticking with it, I would always just burn myself out after a term or two. Anyway, by the fourth day you'll either be going through the worst of it, or you'll be on the upswing. It might take 2 weeks for all symptoms to completely cease, but it might not take that long either.

Anyway, if you go to a hospital, don't tell them your an opiate addict. Especially in ohio, as that's where I came to kick. They won't do shit for you if you tell them you're withdrawing off of opiates, so tell them that your withdrawing from either alcohol or benzodiazepines. They will that way give you either some valium or some librium, and probably some clonodine (which is a must, more important than benzo's IMO) since your blood pressure will be high.

If you can't make it on just the benzo's and clonodine alone, get some kratom or some immodium. Yeah, headshop kratom isn't ideal, but when I was kicking really bad back in february, it made a huge difference for me, and it was just some crappy stuff from a vape shop.

I've been taking little pieces of subutex for the past 3 days. Last use was about 6:30 or 7 last night. Just curious now how much longer to wait before taking a piece of suboxone strip. Just now really starting to feel bad. Help!!
Subutex and suboxone are both bupe.... You can take them at the same time you don't need to wait. Only after full agonists like methadone, heroin, fentanyl, morphine, oxycodone, etc.

Hey, thank you for responding so quick. I wasn't sure if I was able to be seen or not. This is my 1st time using a forum chat room. I went ahead & took not even a quarter of a strip. Still not feeling like getting out of bed much. But tomorrow's a new day. I didn't realize that both subox & subtex have a blocker. Unfortunately I don't have anymore of either one for tomorrow. Lil worried but it's another day closer to getting the op's out of my system. Thank you again, greatly appreciated.. Have an awesome weekend. God Bless!!!!

Lady Codone said:
Kratom - for overall w/d's

Could be very useful, also mentally.

The effects of Kr. can be increased and dosage decreased by taking various substances like curcumin (weak MAO-I) which you can combinate with some black pepper (piperin) which enhances the bioavailability of curcumin (i read somewhere: up to 2000%, but can't find it now).

• First: the pepper (10% of curcuma dosage which starts to be effective about 3-5grams).
  • A few minutes after: the curcuma.
  • And (on empty stomach) 30-45mins. later the Kratom.

There are some people saying pregabaline is useful, too. At least i met someone who experienced that it's beside benzos and opis a bestseller at substitute ambulances and "drug-spots".

Against weaker withdrawals, drs. often use Doxepine supportive. But it won't be mood-lifting instantly, only sedating. It's easy to get a prescription. (I suggest: no long-term-use of ADs!)