Mental Health Looking for advice from those who are diagnosed with depression

Hey all. An update- she was diagnosed with Aspergers (Autism level 1). Between my last post and now, we have been through hell and back. I stopped her anti depressants due to extreme behaviour in June. She was diagnosed in July and now on Abilify (on 5mg, working our way to 10mg). It feels like things are slowly getting better, there has been no talk of suicide or self harm in over a month. She seems genuinely happier- she works part time, volunteers at the local hospital, comes to the gym 3x a week with me, and I try to fill in any of her spare time (jigsaw puzzles, road trips, local fairs, etc). I feel hopeful for her future!! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and compassion.

My 15yr old has been suffering for 6 months. She is seeing a psychiatrist, on meds (3rd round) and on the wait list for a renowned child psychiatrist. Seeing you also suffer from depression, what can loved ones do for you to make the day not so terrible? What can they say? Looking for insight as everything I do or say seems to result in extreme anger towards me.
I've been dealing with depression and anxiety since I was very young. Started cutting myself at 12. And honestly for me I needed healthier boundaries with my parents and more love and attention. Knowing how much your parents care helps, even if she pretends she doesnt care. It helps.

I have reactive attachment disorder,PTSD,major depressive disorder, schitzoid personality disorder,anxiety disorder and rapid cycling bipolar

In my opinion there's nothing anyone could do to make it better(in my case)all they can do is give everything that is wanted n tht only helps at the moment

What meds is she on n truthfully if be careful taking her to psychiatrist as most child psychiatrist are just in it for the money n will prescribe all kinds of meds (go in with her when she sees the doctor so you can judge what's going on)

what's her diagnosis???

I have reactive attachment disorder,PTSD,major depressive disorder, schitzoid personality disorder,anxiety disorder and rapid cycling
In my opinion there's nothing anyone could do to make it better(in my case)all they can do is give everything that is wanted n tht only helps at the moment

What meds is she on n truthfully if be careful taking her to psychiatrist as most child psychiatrist are just in it for the money n will prescribe all kinds of meds (go in with her when she sees the doctor so you can judge what's going on)

what's her diagnosis???
Agreed with this. But I find knowing someone gives a guck if you live or die might make you slightly less likely to end it.

Hey all. An update- she was diagnosed with Aspergers (Autism level 1). Between my last post and now, we have been through hell and back. I stopped her anti depressants due to extreme behaviour in June. She was diagnosed in July and now on Abilify (on 5mg, working our way to 10mg). It feels like things are slowly getting better, there has been no talk of suicide or self harm in over a month. She seems genuinely happier- she works part time, volunteers at the local hospital, comes to the gym 3x a week with me, and I try to fill in any of her spare time (jigsaw puzzles, road trips, local fairs, etc). I feel hopeful for her future!! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and compassion.

Glad things are getting better. Keeping yourself preoccupied - whether by volunteering or having a job or even just having a very involved hobby that requires using your brain - is a very good way to weather through a depressive episode so all this is sounding very good. Exercise is also very helpful. And to answer a question you asked previously, yes depression is most commonly something that comes and goes, it's rarely constant. Also it is important to keep in mind that it's worse in adolescence than adulthood in many cases due to the complications already caused by hormones etc at that age. As someone grows out of adolescence it usually gets easier to deal with depression as it becomes less intense and frequent.

Fwiw I've been depressed and anxious since I was 10, I wanted to kill myself at that age, and got no treatment until I was 16-17 and I'd say no helpful treatment until I was around 21. I'd likely be better today if I got treatment earlier but then I didn't know what I felt was abnormal or had a name at the time and didn't mention it to anyone for a long time so it's a difficult one. I only started considering the possibility something was wrong when I was 16 or so.

But things are much better in adulthood than they were in adolescence. I mean it's all still there make no mistake, but I have a better grip on it and have learned healthier coping mechanisms than self-harm or numbing myself with drugs. And it's not a constant feeling nor is it as intense as it was in my younger years.

All this to say that these issues are unlikely to magically disappear but they do get better with time for various reasons.