• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Looking for a nootropic: dopamine agonist or selegiline?

AA357

Bluelighter
Lately I have been doing some research into nootropics.
I have looked into the racetams and noopept but they don't really appeal to me as the results seem to be quite variable and inconclusive. I want something hard-hitting and efficacious that will enhance my cognitive performance and feel good.
I am particularly interested in the dopamine agonists (esp. cabergoline and pramipexole) and selegiline. Prami causes significant elevations in hGH and is safer for the heart than cabergoline, which is nice. I am a bit wary of selegiline as it's a MAOI, though it does seem to be more forgiving than other MAOIs and gets very good reviews.

Of these, which one would be more effective and safer/healthier in the long-run?

Thanks.

I don't have any experience with either of those, but I use modafinil to great effect,

I love the stuff, it really helps me focus while I'm studying. I can easily do 12 hour sessions without losing concentration and there's no nasty comedown like with amphetamines

Thanks but I'm asking for information on these drugs in particular.

I already use Modafinil 2-3 times per week. It's good at keeping me awake and it's quite safe but it's totally different to DA agonists and selegiline.

I'd try selegiline first. Dopamine agonists can have a severe discontinuation syndrome. Just make sure to stay away from phenethylamines while taking selegiline because it can potentiate those drugs.

Technically, you are barking up the wrong tree. It sounds like you're looking for a safe and effective stimulant, not a nootropic. In VERY basic terms, normally, a nootropic is a non-addictive chemical that enhances cognition via other mechanisms than dopamine and norepinephrine, otherwise its a stimulant. Something that is marketed as a nootropic called prolintane, is actually a NDRI and gives effects indistinguishable from amphetamine (for me). Sure, it enhances cognition, wakes me up and makes me feel good, but it's a dopamine stimulant, it's addictive, causes depletion/down-regulation, feels somewhat straining on the heart in higher doses, it's extremely re-dose prone, etc.. All classic stimulant properties, and not ideal for daily intake. As a matter of fact, prolintane works SO good for me that I've moved it out of the nootropic cabinet and into my weekends-only recreational toy box. It apparently has a "good safety profile" and is given to elderly patients as a result, however this drug makes me feel like I'm on REALLY good coke for nearly the whole day, especially when alcohol is introduced. I sound like I'm selling it, which I'm not, I'm just conveying the difference between a stimulant and a nootropic. Even modafinil is more stimulant than it is nootropic.

No nootropic is going to "make you feel good". Aniracetam, my favorite, can provide extremely subtle anxiety relief, but I feel like that comes simply because my brain becomes more capable of processing all the incoming information, thus giving me less anxiety about it. I feel like aniracetam opens up multiple "lanes" of thought in my brain, allowing me to process and evaluate my thoughts and incoming information with liquid-laser efficiency. For example, when I'm jamming with my band while on aniracetam, I feel like I can come up with cool things to do on my instrument a lot easier and more confidently based on the music, as opposed to frantically trying to think of what to do next while still holding down the groove, not messing up, making it sound good, etc...

I make this analogy:

A stimulant is like adding NOS to your car. You'll go fast, that's no question, but what you do with the speed is up to you....and when it runs out, it runs out.
A nootropic is like replacing the driver of the car with a professional. He may not always drive your car, but you will remember his techniques.