• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long Term Tramadol

SunshynFF

Greenlighter
Hi, I am new to this site, I have read it many times, but I just registered and this is my first post, so please tell me if I did anything incorrectly. I started taking Tramadol about 3yrs ago, eventually he was getting 100mg pills and taking about 1600mg a day, a gram in the morning and about 600mg in the evening. After about a year of that I decided to quit and actually checked himself into rehab. From all the horror stories he's heard, he thought it would be really bad, but luckily he didn't have too hard of time with it, I didn't even need to take suboxone, which was offered to him in rehab. I was clean for about a year or so, but about 3 months ago started taking Tramadol again. I'm no where near the dose he used to take, he's just under a gram a day, which he knows is till a lot. So here is the kicker, when I was clean, he was diagnosed with crohn's disease along with IBS(which he's had for a while). He had all kinds of stomach pain almost daily and horrible diarrhea(sorry for being graphic). My blood sugar also rose to borderline diabetic, his blood pressure was high and had to be put on a beta blocker to keep it down. He also gained a lot of weight and was pretty chubby. Once I started taking Tramadol again, all that disappeared. He recently had a physical for work and his blood pressure was great, blood sugar was great, he was down to a healthy weight and most noticeable was the IBS/crohns symptoms COMPLETELY went away. The only thing a little bit bad on his physical was his good cholesterol being low and his MET number being a little low, which both could be fixed with stopping smoking and doing a little more exercise. So my question is, why does he want to quit? The only side effect he has that he doesn't like is his sex drive isn't what it used to be. He knows he needs to quit again and is sure he can do it on his own this time, but it's hard to see how well his health is doing, and he also knows when he quits he'll be going back stomach issues and high blood pressure. I would be happy to hear others thoughts or advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
That much tramadol will give you a seizure. If you want to be dependant on opiates, get on something safer. Codeine maybe...

Also, we dont use swim here.

Also, I am a patient person, but others may have a hard time reading that wall of text. If you use paragraphs youll probably get more replys.

Good Luck

... Tranadol is not a cure for high blood pressure

Opioids so help IBS, actually one of the main treatments is technically an opioid

However is tramadol is a pro-drug; it has to be metabolized to dmt, which is responsible for the opioid effects

Neverminding that, Tramadol itself is more like an antidepressant, except it lowers seizure threshold and your doses are dangerous-just giving you the info, DWYW

If you take more then 400mg tramadol you should use benzos with them. Highest dose of tramadol I ever took was 3g with 600mg pregabalin and 20mg diazepam, I didn't get any seizures but I got very nasty and strong muscle spasms for 2 hours, was really terrible, didn't even feel good. Other time 1g tramadol with 3g gabapentin gave me seizure even that gabapentin should prevent seizures.

Tramadol is a very bad drug to get hooked to, better oxycodone, morphine or hydrocodone as they dont cause seizures if you take too much or stop taking it and wont cause the extreme anxiety symptoms from common atypical tramadol withdrawal. It was the hardest thing ever to kick for me and how awful it was when nobody in the nhs would give me any when I needed it or seemed to know the dangers didnt help

Opioids do help very well with a lot of things however like diarrhea, ibs, cough, fast heart rate, high blood pressure and off the books anxiety, insomnia and depression :)

Anything over 400mg a day puts you at a huge risk of having a seizure. You are taking way too much.

I have been getting prescribed tramadol for 2 years due to an accident with almost an unlimited amount of refills and I think my body just got used to them because I had to start taking more than the what was prescribed for the to work but I have to say I never got hooked or had any withdrawls. I was to the point of taking 500 mg at least daily. I also get prescribed Xanax, valium, and hydrocodone for pain. For the trams to work, I usually have to mix one of the benzos to help. I don't want to ask for anything stronger however I am looking at getting spine surgery. But I havent had any siezures or bad withdrawls and I quit taking trams cold turkey.

I appreciate all the responses, and I am not trying to be rude, but I work in the medical field along with extensively researching addictive Tram use when I started taking it regularly. So I am well aware of the daily seizure limit of 400mg and also, but everyone's body reacts different and can handle different doses of meds, I also am prescribed xanax and often used it if I had a high dose of Trams for the day. I mostly was just curious on peoples thoughts of Trams covering/subduing my medical issues, and if I should weigh the options of continuing to take Trams to not be miserable physically, or am I just masking a medical problem that's gonna crop up eventually, Trams or not.

You'd think that someone in the medical field would realize, yeah, everyone tolerates drugs differently to a varying extent, but just because you have had a seizure or what have you from repeatedly taking a dosage that walks right up to the line of "very high dose already, more would be begging for a problem" doesn't mean you're immune from here on out. Regardless, this thread essentially reads like you came here searching for someone to endorse your unsafe, unsustainable method for combating your physical ailments and when it didn't happen, you turned into the smarmy Mr. Medicine, who wanted to quiz us or something equally puerile.

You'd think that someone in the medical field would realize, yeah, everyone tolerates drugs differently to a varying extent, but just because you have had a seizure or what have you from repeatedly taking a dosage that walks right up to the line of "very high dose already, more would be begging for a problem" doesn't mean you're immune from here on out. Regardless, this thread essentially reads like you came here searching for someone to endorse your unsafe, unsustainable method for combating your physical ailments and when it didn't happen, you turned into the smarmy Mr. Medicine, who wanted to quiz us or something equally puerile.

Wow, that's quite an assumption and an asshole thing to say. I thought this site was about helping each other and answering each others questions concerning different drugs and medications. I simply wanted to know or hear someone else's story about Trams keeping medical conditions at bay. All I got was people telling me stats and facts about Tram that I already knew. I prefaced my return response by saying "I'm not trying to be rude", plus, I am in no way looking for an "endorsement" from anyone. Not that it's any of your business, but I am off the Trams now and dealing with my intestinal problems, but hey, thanks for being a dick hole!!