• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Long-term Suboxone Use

TSq

Greenlighter
Hi, I started taking Suboxone in my 50s in late 2005 and have continued since then. I've never been worried about relapsing if I quit Suboxone (although I'm afraid of the withdrawal), but the thing is that Subs have kept me from the crushing depression that I used to suffer from before, and which I treated with various opiates. I use 2 mg. a day, and don't notice it unless I miss a day. The truth is I don't want to quit. Since I started using Suboxone I haven't thought about doing street drugs, I've gotten two college degrees, a state teaching credential, and a 20-year marriage. I have a career as a college prof and I feel stable for the first time in my life. My problem is that the doctor who prescribed Sub for me retired and I'm down to my last 28 strips. I'd rather not get into a debate about pro vs con on long-term Suboxone use (It's helped me immeasurably) but two other matters. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who's had similar experience with long-term use. Also, I live in L.A. and I'm wondering if anyone knows an clinic or doctor who would see me and prescribe Suboxone so I don't have to go back to the uncertainties and problems I experienced pre-Suboxone. Thanks.

Hey there!
I am exactly like you, in the sense that I use to have soul crushing suicidal depression on the constant. The only things that helped it were opioids & cannabis.
After using opioids for 10 years, I decided that I couldn't live life without some form of opioid & needed to get on maintenance & was thankfully able to.
While suboxone doesn't provide the same amount of relief for me as heroin or even tramadol would, it still provides some & has kept me from drinking alcohol or being as suicidal & miserable as I use to be.

So it's always a big fear of mine that one day I could have to go through withdrawal or go back to a life where my depression is just too much, which would obviously lead me right back into self destructive drug seeking ways.

I think it should be relatively easy for you to find another doctor that will prescribe it though.
If I remember correctly, a law was passed in the US last year that allows more doctors to be able to prescribe suboxone. I think it was suppose to be any doctor can prescribe it now. I'll have to look it up again & see when it went into effect.

I would seek out a new doctor & explain your situation. You've been on this med an incredibly long time & it helps you & I think any doctor with any sort of logic would put you right back on it.
Don't be afraid either to express how it helps your depression or that you're worried about that depression returning. I was actually straight forward with my doctor when I first got on subs & told them "hey, these are the only class of drugs that truly help my depression without ruining me like antidepressants do". And my doc understood that not only were subs just "addiction" medicine for me but also an antidepressant.

It's not as difficult to get on subs as it was in 2005 either. A good doctor will totally understand your situation!
I'm planning to probably stay on bupe the rest of my life, unless they finally legalize heroin or full agonists.
I think you'll be alright & be able to find a doctor pretty easily.

All the best!