• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long term health effects

Blufxx

Greenlighter
Does anyone know what the actual long-term physical effects of daily use of cocaine and heroin on the body are? I already know about dopamine and resulting depression but I’m talking about heart, kidneys, liver, etc. All I can find are articles created by drug rehab centers that still refer to Coke as ‘nose candy’ lol... I think they are biased and want real truth.

I’ve been using both daily (for the most part) for a few years now and still am maintaining everything (bills, house, job, etc.) but my son (adult) is telling me I’m going to kill myself or die young. Just curious what I’m actually doing to my body because I feel great.

Does anyone know what the actual long-term physical effects of daily use of cocaine and heroin on the body are? I already know about dopamine and resulting depression but I’m talking about heart, kidneys, liver, etc. All I can find are articles created by drug rehab centers that still refer to Coke as ‘nose candy’ lol... I think they are biased and want real truth.

I’ve been using both daily (for the most part) for a few years now and still am maintaining everything (bills, house, job, etc.) but my son (adult) is telling me I’m going to kill myself or die young. Just curious what I’m actually doing to my body because I feel great.

In my honest opinion, the long term effects of heroin in the body and mind (if one survives) are minimal. I never felt opiate use made me stupider or “fried my brain” . However they will kill you faster than any other drug.

Cocaine is similar I have seen some fairly vicious crackheads come back to life and seem somewhat normal.

I think while heroin and cocaine can cause great harm, they are not the worst drugs for long term negative health effects. However cocaine use does have some risks like increased risk of heart attack (for life I believe).

Daniela Westbrook’s comes to mind though. I think she had some pretty decent nose and nasal surgery to get her back to relative normal.

I think cocaine is probably the worst of the two, it's not good for your heart. But as long as you don't combine it with alcohol I think it's not super bad. Combining it with alcohol forms ethylcocaine in the liver and this, while more euphoric, is extremely bad for your heart and is the reason for most heartattacks on cocaine as far as I know.

Tramalala has the right idea. Heroin ( and most opioids ) are relatively harmless physically with a couple big caveats. If your constipation gets too bad this can cause issues with your digestive system, but as long as your movements are regular you shouldn't have to worry about this. The other is, if you OD. Opioids cause breathing depression, if your breathing is depressed to the point that you are unable to breath period and you stay like that for minutes on end before being revived, this could cause brain damage.

Coke on the other hand is toxic to your cardiovascular system (even without overdose) which can lead to a heart attack in the short or long term. Thats not to say occasional or use at low doses is that bad... but you say you've been using daily for years, that definitely isn't healthy.

There's one other thing to consider which is your route of administration... which can cause their own issues. How are you taking your drugs? Snorting over the long term can damage the lining in your nose. IV, if done incorrectly can cause infections which can introduce a host of other problems. If you've collapsed veins before this can cause damage to your blood circulation. Smoking I imagine would cause damage to the lungs over the long term but I don't really know that for sure. Smoking is probably the safest method when it comes to heroin. With coke, idk, its pretty bad whatever way you choose.