• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Long Term Gabapentin Use

penultimate

Greenlighter
I've been taking gabapentin for nearly 4 years now and it's been a little bit of a miracle drug for me in terms of lowering my blood pressure and helping me chill out in general:

Whereas before my BP was normal to borderline high it's now low consistently. Nurses know about this effect; doctors don't. I can imagine taking it for the rest of my life but worry about some of the more alarmist warnings I've read about memory impairment. In my experience, the only time it might interfere with your ability to recall something is because it made you a little drowsy - like you haven't had your first cup of coffee in the morning, and you weren't paying attention - not like with xanax or something where there are hours long chunks of memory that are just gone, I mean that kind of thing has just never happened to me. I think it also messes with motor coordination a little, especially when you first start taking it but that goes away after a while.

If it's addictive, it's got to be way down there on the scale. You're supposed to take the damn stuff 3x a day and I frequently forget to take it if I'm too busy. I've quit cold turkey just to know what it's like - very mild anxiety (I think) for a few days and my BP seemed to go back up. You can only get (kind of) stoned on it for the first few times you take it, then tolerance kicks in really quick.

The one truly horrible side effect of gabapentin (for me) is that it almost completely blocks the effect of caffeine. Every cup is like decaf. It sucks and there is absolutely no mention of it in the blackbox warning label. It's almost worth it to quit for a while just to truly know what caffeine is like again. But that's it! I have no complaints after nearly 4 years with a few short holidays. Does anybody have notes to compare/contrast with? thanks!

In my experience, the only time it might interfere with your ability to recall something is because it made you a little drowsy - like you haven't had your first cup of coffee in the morning, and you weren't paying attention - not like with xanax or something where there are hours long chunks of memory that are just gone
Agree with the perspective:
That memory loss is blackouts from over use of any GABAnergic... bzd, gabapentinoids, alcohol, etc.
Doesmt even have to be overused much but that line seems to be very thin ice ime
i also find that some of those "blacked out" memories to return after not using for a while.
ymmv

Pregabalin (and thus probably its cousin gabapentin as well) is memory inhibiting as fuck, different and somehow worse than any benzodiazepine if you ask me. I remember sitting in cinema with 900mg or 1.2g of pregabalin in my system and just stare at the screen but not really understanding the story. Was the newest spiderman, so I guess it was really me and not just a weird movie plot.

But it also stopped working for me after a few weeks, these gabapentinoids induce one hell of a tolerance.
I have tachycardia, no effect on that but I can imagine that it will work against high blood pressure as long as it's not overused as I did.

Gabapentin has a particularly high variation in its effects on different people, especially regarding withdrawal. Withdrawal varies from none to horrible. Have a friend for whom it is a miracle drug. Basically all upside. For me it is a strung-out mess with rapid dependence and withdrawal developing. Ive never heard of longterm memory reduction. Is that a thing?

Ive never heard of longterm memory reduction. Is that a thing?
I would dare to guess that it may be a thing.
We are learning a lot in regards to plasticity of minds but for sure if one does not engage their brain it will atrophy like anything else. Add a substance that may entice one to leave it all in neutral and I can see where memory and other mental capacities could be affected.
Be easy
Peace

Gabapentin is the capitalistic industrial complex's substitute for legal pot.
Somewhat similar in effect, but subtly but deeply physically stronger in dangers like memory loss and addiction.
It doesn't wrap you in a warm blanket and nudge you like pot. It's a chemical and feels like one.
You remain productive, but dumber. You question less, not more.
^^^^ Seminal thought and it needs work for clarity, but I think I'm on to something.

Gabapentin is the capitalistic industrial complex's substitute for legal pot.
Somewhat similar in effect, but subtly but deeply physically stronger in dangers like memory loss and addiction.
It doesn't wrap you in a warm blanket and nudge you like pot. It's a chemical and feels like one.
You remain productive, but dumber. You question less, not more.
^^^^ Seminal thought and it needs work for clarity, but I think I'm on to something.
Do you mean longterm memory loss, or short? If long, are you sure and how do you know? Thanks

Do you mean longterm memory loss, or short? If long, are you sure and how do you know? Thanks
Interesting and funny. If I had long term memory loss, how would I know?

I haven't really gotten a total handle on what I mean. Likely short term (at least) to answer your question.

Thoughts.

Gabapentin (etc.) seems to scratch that itch when I want to get high to an extent (except, I can "function" better)
It does seem to relieve many of the types of pain that pot helps me with.
It makes me horny, while affecting my erection (much more than pot, though).
Short term use will give me a withdrawal lasting a while, taking a couple days to hit, and having rebound pain and insomnia. Way fucking stronger on the rebound pain. Feels a lot more like a chemical if that makes sense. More subtle mentally but going to my core physically.
Makes me stupider. Again, more subtly but much moreso as well.
Mixes well with everything. :)

Someone help me find the words for this. Like I say, it's the fossil fuel, synthetic, industrial complex, capitalist version of pot.
More subtle mentally, more deeply physical, you can be a productive clone on it more readily, but it grabs you deep down and owns you.

Wow that was interesting, and what a closing. Ive noticed it’s quite variable by person - esp withdrawal. As for me, I hate it. Ive been stuck on it after only a month but think is finally breaking. (Im getting close to being off all.) I developed withdrawal and dependence super fast, so it’s nice to hear someone else have that part of my experience. Feel awful taking it and worse not taking it.
I did get a GREAT euphoric buzz taking it the first day, and once or twice taking way more than I had been taking. I kept saying to the people around “omg I feel Greeeaat”. It was so good I couldnt help it. But now even taking merely double does no good. The benefit is so hard to get; the cost of any benefit is so large, and that cost comes so quick. It’s just evil ime. I know most drugs are not worth it overall, but gaba an order of magnitude worse in that. Have a friend, no addictions or tendencies, who takes 100 or 200 couple times a week and gets serious relief from his varying pain in his partially mangled body. Is life-changing for him… Um, ok.
Re pot, there are two drugs that seemed to change after becoming Christian. Pot and psychedelics. Well, Im going from the experience of others regarding the latter. Just eg, yt video called “I tried psychedelics as a christian” on channel delafe. Pot seems to let in nasty stuff now (if you dont believe that can happen, to know that’s a thing.. check daniel adams deliverances or just the trailer for that movie “come out in jesus name” which was in theaters across the country but had to stop due to idk what you call it, “incidents” maybe. Shorter version of trailer better.)

I think it is pretty funny that gabapentin is compared to pot (cannabis). I have to say, both pot and gabapentin have the ability to bring a person so into the present moment that thoughts fly over head. I know as young stoners we thought we were killing brain cells (how primitive) but I suspect with both cannabis and gabapentin it is where the consciousness is that makes pulling up thoughts a little more of a chore as so many thoughts are flying overhead. Forget drugs, regular people forget what they are going to say mid sentence. That is not brain cells. That is being to present in the moment that recall takes a little work. A person eventually recalls what they were going to say. The idea or memory is always there to be recalled.

I enjoy playing guitar on gabapentin. It has its uses.

Lastly I think us humans are touch bastards. Long term gabapentin use? pfffft. No problem. The body will adjust. My personal opinion is gabapentin is gentle. Sure there could be a withdrawal. But our bodies need a million things to survive. Like air or water withdrawal. The body will adjust. I am strange that way. I do not even worry about members that take large amounts of benzos everyday. I think our bodies adjust. Mentally for me that would not work though. I could not take gabapentin or benzos everyday.

I have great memory for number combinations.
However, I have several times forgot things like bank account log-in stuff I ALWAYS remember when I am NOT on pregabalin/gabapentin. Just blank "WTF I should know this."
So, fucks memory recalling, apparently.