• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long term effects of insuffalating Oxys

AbsolutDoc

Bluelighter
Background:
I've been a pain regiment for 3 years now. OxyContinER 10mg 2x/day, and OxyIR 10mg 3x/day for BT. I generally only take 1 IR a day and end up insuff.throughout the day a total of 2. My pain comes sharp and usually doesn't last long. So I find that knocking back a bump or two when needed works better than ingesting an entire pill.

My question is this:
Has anyone had long term experience with insuffalating Oxycodone? What are the side effects, damage? Any advice?

Thanks!
~Doc

I don't have much direct experience since I very rarely snort anything but I believe possible damage to the lungs and nasal passages are a real threat when snorting pills long term.

Sometimes I would get irritated sinuses and a stuffy nose from snorting oxycodone. I haven't done it in years but one thing that used to scare me was a sleep apnea type thing where I would wake myself up snoring and gasping for air. I've read about people getting pulmonary talcosis but have no first hand experience with this. I found some old threads that you may find helpful:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/358955-Snorted-pills-and-garbage-ending-up-in-lungs-dangerous

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/528549-Snorting-OC-amp-LUNG-ISSUES

I snorted oxys and various other pills for 8+ years. I have been clean from pharmaceutical opioids for 3.5 years, but I have chronic sinus issues I can only attribute to snorting. It feels like I have a constant sinus infection, but I don't. It's sometimes painful from the inflammation, but mostly it's annoying.

I don't have much direct experience since I very rarely snort anything but I believe possible damage to the lungs and nasal passages are a real threat when snorting pills long term.
I never thought about the lung damage aspect, but at times it feels like I have asthma, and I'm not a smoker. Inhaling all that talc in pills definitely isn't good..

I'm with T. on this one. The primary issues that you are likely to encounter with this route of administration as opposed to say, oral ingestion, are going to be along the lines of Sinusitis of varying intensity, sore/irritated throad and nasal passages etc. however, they can be worse, in theory. Pneumonitis (inflammation of the lungs) is a real possiblity and can progress to more serious complications like Pneumonia or Pneumonic infection.

Continued insults to the Lungs can lead to more nasty complications like for instance, Pulmonary Fibrosis, which is a more or less permanent scarring of the Lungs. My point is that it's possible to do serious damage by inhaling powders directly into your lungs, whether accidental or not.

The good news, is that insufflation of drugs rarely develops into extremely severe complications or even anything worthy of an in-person with a physician. I would say that it's more uncommon to experience a complication in the course of their insufflation drug-use than to not, which is different than for instance, Intravenous use, in which most people you talk to who have been at it for years have experienced an issue or two. The only one who's going to be able to tell you definitively if you have an issue though is going to be a medical professional.

OMG I hope this thread isn’t closed! I’m new to BL and joined specifically to find advice on this issue. I would post my own question, but as I understand it, I’m too much of a “newbie” to post, or if not, I just don’t know how. I truly don’t want to jack someone’s thread. I just really need information! Please answer if this thread isn’t closed.

I insufflate about two to four 15 mg of oxys per day- for three years now. That’s less or equal to about third of my prescribed dose-birth defect in spine (spondylolithesis). Honestly, I’ just like the jolt, and it helps me get going in the mornings. I’ve had some tough things happen in my life in the last five years, but I’m working very hard to get back to the place I want to be-back to the person I want to be. I plan on giving this up as soon as Ive accomplished a few more things because it does get in the way in many aspects. I know I’m depressed and am on an anitdepressant. I’m also in therapy.

If I don’t have to do anything on a particular day, I don’t snort. If I’m visiting my family, I don’t snort unless I have to do a lot of walking.

I’ve been very lonely as I’m far from my family. The snorting helps me maintain until, like I said, I get to the space I want. I have no sores in my nose, but it’s constantly red around the nostrils, nostrils always have flaky skin like if I had a cold and blue my nose too much, and my internist grimaced when he looked in my nose the last time-after I’d been doing this for a few months. I apply Carmex/Neosporain around the outside of my nostrils to help any cracking and use makeup to help any redness. It seems no one notices, but maybe I’m kidding myself.

I’d appreciate any non-judgmental advice.