• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Long term boyfriend thinking of breaking up.

Meow1243

Bluelighter
So I've been with this guy for just over 4 years now. We met when I was 16 and I lost my virginity to him. In the beggining I loved him more than anything. We saw each other every day and it took over a year for us to get in our first disagreement, which ended up being a level headed conversation where neither of us raised our voices and ended up coming to a compromise that satisfied both ends. I found myself going out of my way just to make him happy, I always had him on my mind, and held him in such high regards. It was certainly true love, and nothing like your typical, immature teenage relationship.

A little after 2 1/2 years I found myself feeling resentment towards him for the first time. He still wasn't working or going to school and was free loading off his grandfather. Meanwhile I was working full time, saving up as much money as I could in order to move out of my mom's house (who I absolutely hated, I was miserable living there). My view on our relationship turned from purely positive to full of doubt, wondering if I should stay. I kept thinking about how embarrassing it was when friends/coworkers would ask about my bf and I had to tell him he had no job and pretty much wasn't doing anything with his life.

I kept thinking about how my respect for this person, whom I used to think the world of, was slowly fading and turning into dissapointment and resentment. Fast forward to now, 4 years into the relationship and I'd rather be alone than with him. Most times I hate it when he touches me, most of the things that he says are simply irritating, and sex is no longer pleasurable (just something I do every once in a while to appease him) and I'm constantly thinking of breaking up with him.

And yet somehow I just can't bring myself to do this. He's been suffering from severe depression (has talked about suicide several times, and has been baker acted twice before we knew each other for attempted suicide) and has bi polar. I feel so bad for him and feel that if this depression could be lifted that the person that I once loved could somehow be brought back to me. It feels like nothing that I can say will ever make him feel better, he's just to preoccupied with his own self pity. This relationship has been draining and every time I'm around him I feel sad, frustrated, angry etc. I want things to be the way they were in the beginning, but sometimes I wonder if that's even possible.

Give him an ultimatum. If he loves you enough, you only need to tell him once. Let him know that if he doesn't change, he'll lose you. If he doesn't shape up, then he doesn't care.

I feel for your situation so much, and what I realized about being in a somewhat similar situation is that you can't live for him. You have to live for yourself. You are so young (21 if my math is right, probably isn't :p), and you need to begin living your life. My 20's have been the best and most experience filled years of my life. I spent a lot of them with a girl (we dated for 7 years 18-25), and I wish I had lived for myself. There were so many years filled with love and satisfaction, but also so many years filled with doubt. We were on drugs together, but I got sober and she continued so I stuck around because I felt hopeless for her. I was so scared that I couldn't walk away, but one day that all changed. It took time, but I began living for myself, and I cannot tell you how satisfying it is.

My point is that even if he changes, you are going to hold that resentment and doubt, but it's unlikely he will change over night anyway. Continue with your life, go to school, find a hobby, start meeting new people, and your life will fall into place. It's never out of the question that you meet again in a few years and rekindle that love that made you crazy about each other in the beginning, but my advice is to tell him your heart will always be his and you need this time to yourself to find who you are.

Thanks poke it's nice to know I'm not the only one. I've always been the type to put other's happiness before my own. I'm really worried over his mental state. Ik it's fucked up, but he's insinuated a few times before that he'd kill himself if he didn't have me. Underneath all the disappointment and resentment deep down I love him and it'd kill me if he ever went through with suicide, especially after a break up. Not to mention he's my first love :/

http://www.sharischreiber.com/articles.html

yup been their :/ sucks but good can come out of it if you're diligent enough and accepting of YOUR emotions. Also look up The Drama of a gifted child on PDF :) What's kept and keeping you with him is infatuation and enmeshment(your sense of responsibility). My exes nickname was kitty. I think it's ironic how these personalities are so consistent. I'd really like to pm you. I'm 21 and pretty much in the same boat or maybe just a little further down stream.

An ultimatum is a bad idea. I would think if you do this it would trigger his abandonment fears and he'll start acting out or use emotional black mail(suicide threat) which triggers your rescuing compulsion.

I agree that an ultimatum is a bad idea..

By the sounds of it this relationship has already ended. You don't love him any more and chances are that you are not going to.
If he were to get a job tomorow, would you really feel different? It might be for his own benifit of you left him, he might realise that it is very difficult to get a new gf with no adult priorities. He doesn't have to work anywhere glamorous but at least a part time job would improve his image.

He may fight it, promise you the world (or try to make you feel guilty) but you shouldn't let that determine what you want.

If you stay together and nothing changes, he will eigther never be able to move with you (provided you want that in a long term relationship) or out on his own and you will continue to resent him.

If you give him an ultimatum, he will likely end up resenting you.

If you leave while also telling him why, he may keep his lifestyle or he will change it, but it will be on HIS terms.

Maybe you can reopen the possibility of a relationship aafter a while of being alone

You can't let him hold you hostage and be in fear. He needs to get the right treatment, and as a grown man he can do it for himself. I hate to sound cold, but I have been in a situation when I was threatened with suicide and stuck around because I too was in fear. It isn't fair to you and you need to start living your life. An ultimatum won't work, you just need to leave. It's over.

you're younger and you fell in love with him when you were still (no offense) children

he was a boy, and you were a girl. now you are a woman (or doing grown-women things, at least) - and he is stunted in boyhood... still

sounds like you're not happy. end it - it only gets worse from here

you're younger and you fell in love with him when you were still (no offense) children

he was a boy, and you were a girl. now you are a woman (or doing grown-women things, at least) - and he is stunted in boyhood... still

sounds like you're not happy. end it - it only gets worse from here

This is exactly what I would say as well.
Things change a LOT from when you were sixteen. You grow up.

you sound so mature for a 20yo. youve really thought about this and it seems like you know what you want to do. is there some way you could cushion the blow for him? like get him help with his mental health or turn him onto someone thatll look after him before ending things?

Thank you so much for your support guys... I'm torn I feel like this relationship has so much potential and yet I think you guys are right that it may be time to end things. I will give it some time and really think things over before making any decisions, this is so hard for me :/

Oh, and born again feel free. I'm still a green lighter, so I think I only have so many PM's but I'd love to talk to someone :)

You both had young love and now you both need more life experiences. Rarely do people who are dating/relationship in high school last past a few years. Even if he was doing FINE, you both are not the same kids. You both should start going your own ways. Also, a guy or woman who is going to use emotional blackmail on another person is full of shit. Either they are bluffing or eventually will kill themselves anyway or may take you with them.

Your BF needs to grow up, get a job, start taking medication for his bipolar. Don't let him hold you back. You're already resenting him and it'll get worse.

I've meet and had relationships with a few divorced women who married their first guy or two, and spend 10+ years in a suck-ass relationship with bad sex with an immature male.