• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Long term benzo use and/or abuse & dementia

truenamebrand

Bluelighter
Ok so I've always been aware of the risk of potentially permanent short-term memory impairment that comes with extensive benzo use, but only semi-recently have I learned of the tendency for benzos to cause full-blown dementia when used for a long period of time. I have been scripted benzos three separate times since the age of 19 (I'm 31 now). The first was for a period of about two years; the second time for a period of another two years or so; and most recently, I have been prescribed diazepam for going on three years now. Each time I have admittedly abused them, albeit at most times never taking them daily.

My question is, would continued use of diazepam all but guarantee me dementia at some point? And at a young age nonetheless? Is there anything I can do or take to negate this in some way? Because the truth is, I'm nowhere near ready to discontinue my diazepam use.

I am already suffering from somewhat severe short-term memory loss, even when I am not taking the diazepam. It's significant enough that my significant other becomes extremely frustrated with my forgetfulness. I am told things and do things and have absolutely no recollection of them (again, even when not under the influence of the diazepam).

This definitely concerns me. Frankly, I'm too young to be experiencing this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance, guys.

^^^i think u should be okay, from my experience, it seems to be seniors that get dementia like symptoms from benzos. As for the amnesia....u are taking diazepam which has a half life of 100+ hours, could it be possible that u are still feeling its effects a day or two later?
I myself notice my short term memory seems to not be the same since my last benzo habit (in which I was taking 15 x 3.5 mg home pressed alprazolam bars a day at times)

Also my coordination seems to have suffered....I am what I would consider to be a professional level lead guitar player, and I notice there are somethings I have to really focus on to pull off now (string skipping, chicken & sweep picking)

My first benzo habit I didn't notice really anything after I kicked, though then I was only taking 5-10 mgs of xanax or equivalent per day. Still a lot but nothing compared to my second habit which seems to have slowed me down a bit

http://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i90
Conclusion The risk of dementia is slightly higher in people with minimal exposure to benzodiazepines but not with the highest level of exposure. These results do not support a causal association between benzodiazepine use and dementia.
But imo if you already have problems with short term memory it'll most likely get worse with time, so you should think about tapering
Do you take them for anxiety and did you try therapy, i.e. CBT?

http://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i90

But imo if you already have problems with short term memory it'll most likely get worse with time, so you should think about tapering
Do you take them for anxiety and did you try therapy, i.e. CBT?

Yes, I take them for anxiety. And I am also in therapy, which I just started about two months ago.

As I have outlined in another thread, I actually tried phenibut for a while to hopefully reduce my valium intake, which of course led to disastrous consequences...

Would you rather be miserable and anxious and maybe get dementia or would you rather be medicated and happy and maybe get dementia? Personally I would do what makes you happy and it sounds like your anxiety disorder is flaring up if your worried about what is going to happen in 30 years?