• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

living in someone's apartment under their lease

Jean-Paul

Bluelighter
has anyone done this, and had a spare key they shouldn't? my friend had a replica of his key made and it wouldn't work -it slid in but didn't turn. a manager let me in and was like "next time he has to let you in". i get the feeling they aren't going to search like the gestapo, they just won't make it is as it's against policy. has anyone ever been kicked out for this? i imagine it would have to happen various times and i'd have to make myself some sort of scene for it to come to that point. i'm figuring we can get a better copy made or something and i can just go in through the side or back entrance.

I honestly don't see why this is a huge issue? I live in Australia and have had friends stay with me without being on the lease - generally with share-housing in Australia, people will initially sign the lease, then one will move out, another will move in, and you'll find that names might get swapped, but there will always be someone living in the house who isn't on the lease. I'm sure there are some property managers who are anal about only having leaseholders in the house, but a lot of the time, as long as the house is kept clean and not trashed, they tend to not really care.

As for your key situation, can't you just go to one of those key-cutting shops and get a copy made? If the manager made an issue of it, then perhaps don't broadcast that you're living there and just keep the room you're living in as minimal as possible so if there is an inspection, they can claim that it's a guest room and the clothes, etc in the cupboard are overflow from their room?

^Theres a bit of a difference between a house and an apartment for situations like that. A house is much easier to have someone living in without much problem, but an apartment, which it sounds like the OP is talking about, can be a little trickier. I've had my boyfriend living with me in an apartment for months without actually being on the lease and had no problem with it but I'm not sure the management actually knew about it. OP, it doesnt sound like you're going to have an issue as long as you keep a low profile, but I'm sure it varies from place to place. At least here in the US, they absolutely do have the right to kick you out, but as long as you arent causing any problems I cant imagine most will go out of their way to do it. It can complicate things though, having things mailed there, or if you ever need to prove your address for some reason...

It sounds to me more like the guy didn't know you and wasn't 100% sure about letting you in to someone else's apartment. If you have a working key you could come and go as you please, surely.

Someone I knew lived in an apartment with a friend. Her boyfriend moved in but was never added to the lease. Time went by and they broke up--She moved out, he stayed. So, there were two people living there, only one on the lease. Eventually, the one who was originally on the lease, moved out and someone else moved in. Now there were two people not on the lease living there.

There was never a problem as the rent was paid on time. The only issue that came about was after the final two moved out and there was damage--The original two on the lease were told they had to pay. I don't know if they ended up having to pay or not as I lost contact with them.

i have done this for the past 4 years.

here is what i do, every time: "hello, leasing person! my credit is no good and i'm moving in with person x. do i need to give you any money, or has he/she already paid the rent?" at this point it's good to have your checkbook or cash out. dont worry - they wont take your money, only ask that the lease holder come visit. they'll talk, and the bottom line is that you wont be on the lease but it'll be cool for you to live there - and they'll give an extra key to the lease holder, although not directly to you. get the leaseholder to go ask for some tags for your car and you're set. no need to be nefarious.

^ This.

Sort of.

But yeah, being honest and up front will go a long way.. I've never lived anywhere that the land lord or leasing company cared if someone who was not on the lease lived there. All they care about is the rent being paid on time and you not jacking up their property

I had a friend living with me in college were I was the only one on the lease. It was a one bedroom apartment (his room was the living room), and if we chose to have his name on the lease as well, it would have cost us each a noticeable amount more money. I decided to be the only leaser and save us both money (extra money for weed/drugs!). If we'd been caught I could have been evicted, fined, or whatever punishments they had on the agreement (don't remember). Luckily they never found out, or at least never said anything. He never dealt with any of the management, so he never had that type of event happen.

About a year ago, I could no longer afford the apartment I'd been living in so I was looking for a place to stay with a very short amount of time to move everything out of the old apartment. An acquaintance of mine had leased an apartment for a full year but ended up moving to NYC for a better job and let me stay in the apartment he'd already leased. I think the rent was something like $525 and he said I could just pay him $400 which was perfect for me, so I moved my entire life into the new apartment. I never really spent much time there, because my boyfriend lived just down the street and I would really only stay there once or twice a week. But after about 2 months, I guess the landlord went into the apartment (without any notice, which I think might be illegal?) and saw my cat and she freaked.

My acquaintance told me it was completely okay to have my cat in the apartment but I guess he only said that so I would accept his offer? I don't know. Anyways, the landlord basically threatened to take the cat to the SPCA if she wasn't out of the apartment within 3 days so I brought her to my boyfriend's house and the next day I guess the landlord figured out that the original tenant wasn't living there and told him that I had until the end of the week to get all of my stuff out of the apartment and that if she saw anyone besides my acquaintance there after that she would call the cops. (I'm pretty sure she had a right to, though?) I don't drive, nor do I have any friends with a truck so I literally lost everything I owned in that apartment and it really pisses me off to think of all of my stuff being tossed carelessly into a dumpster. :X

I had a friend who lives in a different state come to help me. I couldn't ask her to do it again two months later with a single days notice. :p

i know how that feels, king lux. i was staying in a sober living house a few years ago, and i came back drunk. at the time i was staying there because my parents were paying my rent and said it had to be there. it was a straight up hell hole. anyway, they wanted me to go to detox and the only reason i didn't go is because they had told me that i had 24 hrs notice to get my stuff before they threw it away, in the event of anything like that happening. so i was scared, and i took what i could carry and hitchhiked to a friend's place. well, i got back the next day (less than 24 hours) and they had thrown everything away. really fucking kind and "christian", huh? i could burn that place down.

according to some other chick who lived there, she had to go to detox one night and they didn't do anything with her stuff. i don't know if they were bullshitting to scare or us or what, but i don't take that shit lightly.