• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Living in Sioux Falls, SD. No Medical Marijuana?

williamsmark801

Greenlighter
I've lived in Sioux Falls now for about a year. During my time here I've been diagnosed with a somewhat rare form of arthritis which is fairly debilitating when I have flair ups. I'm working with my rheumatologist to find the right biologic, but it's a slow process and has it's own side effects. Somewhat recently I was in CO and tried out some marijuana and CBD, and it had worked wonders! Now that I'm back home, I'm trying to figure out if I can get a medical marijuana card at a neighboring state but google isn't really helping me out well. I know North Dakota and Minnesota have medical marijuana legal, but does anyone know if I can get a card even though I'm not a resident of those states? I don't even know where to get it on the street, or if the stuff available on the street would help.

Carrying cannabis across state lines is a federal crime and if the dispensary (whether med or rec) knows, they probably won't sell to you, just a warning. That said, having a molecule of THC in your body is technically a federal crime too and the DEA only exists to protect big pharma.

I'm not sure if anyone other than shady doctors (which I don't necessarily have an aversion to) would prescribe for an out of state patient if they don't have an in-state address they can provide. If you absolutely have to, you could make a road trip to a legal state with someone and bring several ounces back. Just don't get pulled over, especially in a non-legal state on the way back. If it really helps you that much, I think this is an OK option as long as the way your life is allows you to take that road trip.

Carrying cannabis across state lines is a federal crime and if the dispensary (whether med or rec) knows, they probably won't sell to you, just a warning. That said, having a molecule of THC in your body is technically a federal crime too and the DEA only exists to protect big pharma.

I'm not sure if anyone other than shady doctors (which I don't necessarily have an aversion to) would prescribe for an out of state patient if they don't have an in-state address they can provide. If you absolutely have to, you could make a road trip to a legal state with someone and bring several ounces back. Just don't get pulled over, especially in a non-legal state on the way back. If it really helps you that much, I think this is an OK option as long as the way your life is allows you to take that road trip.

I'm aware that it's federally illegal to cross state lines with it. I was kind of thinking that these states/doctors would be liberal enough to know that not everyone has access to this in their home state, and that it may not be illegal/unethical to prescribe to a non-resident - only illegal for the patient to cross the state line with it. I know it's a small grey area, and maybe I'm not describing what I'm thinking very well since I have a massive headache.

It is not currently possible to get a card without being a resident of the state.

Several states are, however, currently recognizing medical cards from other states as a valid way to obtain medicine without being a resident. Unfortunately, this does nothing for people who don't already live in a medical legal state.

Sounds like the best options are either be very, very careful with a shipment from a friend in a legal state, or take a road trip and slightly reduce the risk yourself. Otherwise you're going to have to go illegal obviously, and not a lot of dealers will have CBD weed.