View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lithium Interactions

cosmicsunset

Greenlighter
I'm aware that lithium and LSD have a very strong interaction. Does anyone have information on what other drugs lithium interacts with? I'm particularly curious about the NBOMe research chemical analogs, as well as 5-MeO-MiPT and psilocybin. From what I read it seems like these are all 5-HT2A receptor agonists and might have the interaction.

yeah lithium is a no bueno combination, heard alot about seizures, which of course are bad. not sure what youre taking lithium for, but i am bi-polar and on lamictal, much much less interactions, but not right for everyone. but back on topic, lithium and psychs dont mix, most things dont mix actually, so just be very careful.

Don't take any psychedelic while on lithium, it's dangerous.

Some threads where persons mentioned having bad interactions with psychedelics besides LSD:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/608095-Warning-Combining-lithium-with-psychedellics-is-dangerouse
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/412611-Lithium-amp-LSD-New-Experience-What-Happened-to-my-Brain

thanks for those links, they were helpful. I think your advice is very good but it leaves open the question of what you mean by "any psychedelic." Ketamine's not a problem and I don't think there are issues with nitrous oxide or dxm either. What about MDMA?

And just out of curiosity, do you know anything about salvinorin-A and lithium? Seems like it would be ok since the mechanism of action is totally different but I have no idea really.

yeah lithium is a no bueno combination, heard alot about seizures, which of course are bad. not sure what youre taking lithium for, but i am bi-polar and on lamictal, much much less interactions, but not right for everyone. but back on topic, lithium and psychs dont mix, most things dont mix actually, so just be very careful.

I've been on lamictal but I'm very far towards the depressive side of the bipolar spectrum so I actually get the most benefit from lithium. Even antidepressants work better for me than most mood stabilizers like lamictal.

as a side note, I was really amazed by the ability of seroquel to resolve whatever was going on with the LSD-lithium interaction. The patient went from near total psychosis to appearing completely sober and functional within about 5-10 minutes after an oral dose (800mg I think). I may try to get them to post a trip report.

thanks for those links, they were helpful. I think your advice is very good but it leaves open the question of what you mean by "any psychedelic." Ketamine's not a problem and I don't think there are issues with nitrous oxide or dxm either. What about MDMA?

And just out of curiosity, do you know anything about salvinorin-A and lithium? Seems like it would be ok since the mechanism of action is totally different but I have no idea really.
By "any psychedelic" he probably meant any 5-HT2 agonist. I don't think it's known why exactly lithium interacts so violently with LSD, but avoid serotonergic psyches.

By "any psychedelic" he probably meant any 5-HT2 agonist. I don't think it's known why exactly lithium interacts so violently with LSD, but avoid serotonergic psyches.

that's what I was thinking but I'm not sure if MDMA would be included. I read that it's a weak agonist of both 5-HT1 and 5-HT2 but that's not its main mechanism of action.

I'm not concerned about it affecting my bipolar disorder since I know how it affects me, especially if I post-load with 5-HTP and vitamin C, but I don't know how it would affect me when I'm on lithium. I can't actually recall if I've ever mixed them.

It seems to do the same thing with all tryptamines. I'm not sure about phenethylamines though, since I don't like them nearly as much as I like tryptamines, and don't use them often.

In my experience it also reacts with 4-aco-dmt and 4-ho-det, and maybe with dpt, though I'm not sure about that because dpt was so strong. No idea if the lithium made it more powerful, it's really powerful by itself.

I used to take half the doses my friend would take, and I would trip much harder than him. I took 18 mg of 4-ho-det and had an extremely powerful +++, with visuals so strong that I could barely see at some points. My friend took 31 mg from the same bag and mostly seemed like he was stoned.

This was before I knew about the danger of this combo. Now, I stop taking lithium at least two days before I trip. The downside of that though, is that I usually get manic whenever I trip, and sometimes end up in a really bad place mentally towards the ends of long trips, and occasionally do stupid impulsive things like tasting floor cleaner and grabbing radiators.

Given the paucity of info on that combo I would be very hesitant to try it. If you do decide to, the best thing to do would be to titrate your dose up from sub threshold over several experiences a month or so apart at least. Not exactly the quickest thing, but much better than jumping straight into the deep of uncharted waters.

Now, I stop taking lithium at least two days before I trip. The downside of that though, is that I usually get manic whenever I trip, and sometimes end up in a really bad place mentally towards the ends of long trips, and occasionally do stupid impulsive things like tasting floor cleaner and grabbing radiators.

I hope it's GBL floor cleaner at least... ;)

stopping the lithium briefly is a possibility. I think it would be safe for someone in my situation, who only has mild mania/hypomania which has caused virtually no problems in the past. However I have read that stopping and starting lithium is a bad idea since for some reason it diminishes the benefits of the drug and in some cases can actually trigger mania.

Given the paucity of info on that combo I would be very hesitant to try it. If you do decide to, the best thing to do would be to titrate your dose up from sub threshold over several experiences a month or so apart at least. Not exactly the quickest thing, but much better than jumping straight into the deep of uncharted waters.

I think that's always good advice.

thank you, and thanks to everyone who responded. BL rocks

What about an interaction between lithium and 5-HTP? That wouldn't really be an issue if you stopped taking it a few days before 'tripping', but if serotonergic psychedelics cause problematic reactions, isn't it plausible that the same might go for 5-HTP too?

What about an interaction between lithium and 5-HTP? That wouldn't really be an issue if you stopped taking it a few days before 'tripping', but if serotonergic psychedelics cause problematic reactions, isn't it plausible that the same might go for 5-HTP too?

I don't think that would be a problem since our bodies normally get 5-HTP from food and I'm not aware of any food restrictions related to lithium. Granted, the 5-HTP supplement dosage may be way higher than typical dietary 5-HTP but the body can only process so much of it at a time.

Also, 5-HTP may impact the body's supply of serotonin but the substances of concern change how the body uses that serotonin. That's why MDMA makes you roll but 5-HTP has little effect on a healthy person.

I doubt it would be dangerous to mix with either ketamine or nitrous, I would avoid taking DXM though; between itself and it's major metabolite, DXM has a pretty hectic pharmacological profile...

cosmicsunset said:
thanks for those links, they were helpful. I think your advice is very good but it leaves open the question of what you mean by "any psychedelic

When I use psychedelic as a noun, I refer to only the serotonergic ones. I should have phrased it more clearly.

marsmellow said:
I'm not sure about phenethylamines though

See the first thread I linked, it seems to be just as dangerous.

i believe i remember my doc telling me that lithium also dehyrdates you, so the need for water on MDMA(assuming no bad interactions)is alot more then normal. if anyone knows more about this or wants to elaborate or correct me feel free :)

i believe i remember my doc telling me that lithium also dehyrdates you, so the need for water on MDMA(assuming no bad interactions)is alot more then normal. if anyone knows more about this or wants to elaborate or correct me feel free :)

it definitely has some sort of effect due to it being a salt but I'm not sure dehydration is the proper term since it doesn't actually cause water to leave your body. My doctor just said it would make me thirsty and to drink plenty.

Very good point.

it definitely has some sort of effect due to it being a salt but I'm not sure dehydration is the proper term since it doesn't actually cause water to leave your body. My doctor just said it would make me thirsty and to drink plenty.

Very good point.
Dehydration is actually the right term here. I just started using lithium and would not combine it with any serotonergic drugs, DXM and MDMA included. So long, DMT! :(

Seems as good a thread as any to bump

I took psychedelic 5HT-2A agonists (mainly DOC) several times while on a lithium prescription and I experienced no adverse side effects. I would not recommend the combo, based on what others have said, but I personally did fine. I feel as if a person who is self aware enough will be able to combine the two. Those who are lost and in search of truth might experience difficulties. I had a great time tho. Even dosed my lithium while in the middle of a moderately high dose DOC experiment.

I always dose potassium and typically magnesium with my lithium however. Perhaps the broader ",entourage effect" of several electrolytes helps level things.