• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Lips Swelling

Kezia_X

Bluelighter
So I have been taking MDMA for about a year and a half now. I ended up getting my hands on some Purple Plus Minuses. I did test them before I took them. The first time I did take them. I woke up the next morning and my lips were huge, nothing I have ever dealt with before. At first I thought it was the coke because my buddy was putting coke on gums and we shared a cig. My lips got numb from the coke so I assumed that was what did caused it. No, I ended up taking half of one, one night and not even 3 hours later it started again. I was thinking about it could it be what they pressed the pills with? Has anyone ever dealt with something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not have been a reaction...perhaps it was swelling from sucking/chewing on your lips while you were rolling?

ajnGykZl.jpg

My normal lips

ajnGykZl.jpg

next morning

You really need to go see your doctor. It might be a direct reaction to the MDMA, it might be an infection because of lowered immune system caused by MDMA, it could have been an unrelated allergic reaction to something, could be angioedema like Mel said, could be a lot of things. Could be harmless, could be harmful. You are not going to get any certainty by replies on here. Go see your doctor, tell him or her honestly what went down, you are protected by physician–patient privilege so no need to worry about privacy. Tell him you never had this reaction before, and you're sure it was MDMA you took (you are talking about these pills?). Tell them things that might be relevant, like what medication you're on if any, how hydrated you kept yourself during the night, how often you use MDMA, if you did any other drugs right before or during that night, if you have any allergies, make sure to show them the pictures if the swelling has already gone away, tell them everything you think might be relevant

The good thing is you tested your drugs, allergic reactions to MDMA are very rare, though there have been documented cases. Makes me think it's not directly caused by MDMA, though it's probably a contributing factor. In any case, nobody on here is going to be able to tell you for sure what caused this

If they are the pills I've linked above, I've done them myself, more than once, tested them too. Never had any issues with them. They are high-dosed though. I'm going to add the (tested) prefix to your thread

Lol, fuck.

Angioedema?

certainly possible. in that case the most probable cause would probably be the colouring of the pills (who knows if they still use those dyes, that aren't banned for the pharmaceutical industry because of allergenic potential). allergy to mdma itself is pretty rare; i haven't heard of it yet, but i guess it's possible with amphetamine being a possible allergen due to protein binding. anyone know more about that?

but the harmless version - biting on the lips (or unknowingly mistreating them some other way) - still cannot be ruled out...

@op
whatever you do, don't take that particular pills anymore. having an antihistaminic on hand and not rolling too far from civilisation might also be a good idea.

edit: bluebull is right. a visit to the doctor is certainly the best course of action.

That certainly looks like an allergic reaction to something - anti histamine will get the swelling down and some ice wrapped in a cloth will reduce the pain. I know the pills your talking about and they are very popular, I have not heard anyone else complain of this so could you have maybe come into contact with something? Latex, alcohol wipes, new lipstick, lip balm, vicks etc. Those pills are pretty high dosed so were you not chewing on your face?

certainly possible. in that case the most probable cause would probably be the colouring of the pills (who knows if they still use those dyes, that aren't banned for the pharmaceutical industry because of allergenic potential). allergy to mdma itself is pretty rare; i haven't heard of it yet, but i guess it's possible with amphetamine being a possible allergen due to protein binding. anyone know more about that?

I had a friend that was allergic to amphetamine but not MDMA. I don't think it can be a reaction to MDMA in this case if he's been taking pills for the last year & a half.

I had a friend that was allergic to amphetamine but not MDMA. I don't think it can be a reaction to MDMA in this case if he's been taking pills for the last year & a half.

It actually could be, even though he's been taking pills for a long time. Allergies sometimes takes a long while to develop. I've experienced that myself.
However, it's more likely that there was something else in the pill. Binders, fillers, color, another active substance, etc.

When you get an allergic reaction like this, you need to be very careful. The minute your throat swells up you have a problem... Always have antihistamines by hand, in case you take something that makes you swell. Test your substance, and maybe buy crystals instead of pills (in case you react to some of the binders, colors, fillers, etc). Be careful.

It could also be an outside stimuli. Something that you ate or came in contact with while high. If they were high in dose, you could have chewed and sucked on your lips. There are plenty of possibilities here.

It actually could be, even though he's been taking pills for a long time. Allergies sometimes takes a long while to develop. I've experienced that myself.
yep, true.
However, it's more likely that there was something else in the pill. Binders, fillers, color, another active substance, etc.
most binders and fillers and other adjuvants (typically cellulose, lactose, SiO2, starch, glycerol, ...) aren't allergenic. at very least you'd be allergic to all kinds of tablets (Mg-stearate is a possible allergen and pretty much in every tab). in this case i really suspect the dye, but active ingredients or contaminants are also possible.

When you get an allergic reaction like this, you need to be very careful. The minute your throat swells up you have a problem... Always have antihistamines by hand, in case you take something that makes you swell. Test your substance, and maybe buy crystals instead of pills (in case you react to some of the binders, colors, fillers, etc). Be careful.

in case of the throat swelling up, a trip to the hospital would be first thing i'd do. serious cases require epinephrine injections.
(undyed) crystal is definitely a good idea.

in case of the throat swelling up, a trip to the hospital would be first thing i'd do. serious cases require epinephrine injections.
Ops. I didn't mean to say antihistamines was the solution to swelling in throat area. I just meant to point out a possible life threatening situation. I absolutely agree, if swelling in throat occurs -> hospital ASAP. :)

Mild angioedema can be treated at home with over-the-counter antihistamines (such as Zyrtec), I've had great luck with that my self (I'm prone to both urticaria and angioedema). Take the antihistamines as soon as the swelling occurs, or beforehand if there's a specific situation that often leads to angioedema.

So I have been taking MDMA for about a year and a half now. I ended up getting my hands on some Purple Plus Minuses. I did test them before I took them. The first time I did take them. I woke up the next morning and my lips were huge, nothing I have ever dealt with before. At first I thought it was the coke because my buddy was putting coke on gums and we shared a cig. My lips got numb from the coke so I assumed that was what did caused it. No, I ended up taking half of one, one night and not even 3 hours later it started again. I was thinking about it could it be what they pressed the pills with? Has anyone ever dealt with something like this?

I had the exact same thing happen to me the first and only time I have tried pills (untested). It was however only half of my bottom lip which was swollen and even more so than yours. It however returned to normal by the end of the following day. My experience however triggered the most brutal of comedowns (just like First Bad Comedown and Somedud-rip, to the extent you Have followed these boards for sometime) which I am still suffering from 17 months later.

@bluebull Okay, so i highly doubt it was the straight MDMA. I did test the euro press before i took it. So picture was from the time that I dropped the whole thing. I don't think it was MDMA that caused the reaction. Cause when I took half of one last week over new years it didn't get nearly as swollen as the first time; It could be because I started the to take the benadryl when I got home from the event. Since I saw my lip swelling a little bit I had switched back to the regular stuff that I normally take which is a powder (Yes, I test EVERYTHING that I put into my body.) My lipped didn't get nearly as bad the second time. Either due to the Benadryl or taking half of one.
This is what the pill looked like and like I said, it came back positive for MDMA. I have the whole kit from dancesafe.
http://www.pillreports.net/index.php?page=display_pill&id=33811 that is what the pill I took looked like.

@Black. I take an XR 10mg adderall every day so I don't think I have an allergen to amphetamine.
I don't think I really need to go to the doctor because I have never had a problem with MDMA powder/crystal. The only time I have ever had this problem was with this pill. But yes now when I take any sort of MDMA I will bring some benadryl.

@luxray Like I stated to blue I ended up switching to my normal stuff that I take and it didn't get any worse. I kinda play a game called don't bite and suck on my lips. If I catch myself doing it I stop it. If I can't stop it I just fork out the money and buy a binky. I don't like looking like a toodler but I can not stand the texture of gum.

Sorry took so long to reply I've been at work

@Black. I take an XR 10mg adderall every day so I don't think I have an allergen to amphetamine.

i didn't mean to say you're allergic to amphetamine. i just reasoned that one get an allergy to mdma, because mdma has a similar structure to amphetamine, and amphetamine can bind to certain proteins, thus making it "large enough" to be detected by the immune system.

i didn't mean to say you're allergic to amphetamine. i just reasoned that one get an allergy to mdma, because mdma has a similar structure to amphetamine, and amphetamine can bind to certain proteins, thus making it "large enough" to be detected by the immune system.
Sorry, I miss understood. Well, I don't think I have an allergen to MDMA. Cause i can take the powder and the crystals with no problem. I mean I could, the purity is a lot higher in them is what I am told. But that is just second hand information.

yeah, it's unlikely to be the mdma, but be careful the next time you drop, just in case. unlikely doesn't mean impossible.

The topic has been fairly well-covered in this post so I won't repeat what others have said, however I will point out: Lips swelling is a very close step to throat swelling. If your mouth is having any kind of reaction, it's very easy to advance to your tongue and throat swelling up and inhibiting your breathing or killing you. Antihistamines that you get over the counter take up to 20 or 30 minutes to kick in, which is far too slow if you have this worse reaction. PLEASE avoid taking these pills again- there could be some of literally hundreds of different binders, fillers, colorants, or chemicals in them as well as MDMA, and it could be any of these that you're reacting to. It's impossible to know.

Don't take these pills again, and in the future when rolling:

*make sure that you are with friends who you trust will without a doubt call 911 if you start to have a bad reaction. This may have been a milder reaction compared to what can happen in the future, since as Luxray said, allergies can develop and worsen over time.
*do keep allergy pills on hand to take just in case (Benadryl or the regular stuff is more effective than the long-lasting 24-hour pills like Claritin), and take one or two if you experience any swelling or tingling, then watch closely for worsening symptoms

Be safe!!