Line Between Possession and Intent to Distribute

recordplayer

Greenlighter
I was wondering what the limit is for being caught with pills if they're for personal use. I've heard of people who had a certain number (but a small number, like under 10, I don't remember exactly how many) that they knew they were going to use for themselves, but they got caught and prosecuted for Intent to Distribute.

If I had like 3-4 pills on me which would it be?

Ive herd 1 pill maybe 2 ull get let off with possesion, any more and its intent to sell. Thats Australia, and thats info from a mate that got let off with 2,not even done for possesion, not definate on the legal side.

One thing that I've heard, but I don't know the truth behind it is that it matters how you have them bagged. If you have 4 in 4 separate bags, that could be intent but 4 in one bag could be possession (just an example). As far as a number goes, I believe it varies from state to state and probably situation to situation.

Intent to Distribute means that the combined weight of all your pills exceeds 28.35 grams.

pigeon20 said:
Intent to Distribute means that the combined weight of all your pills exceeds 28.35 grams.

That seems kind of off, that's like 100 pills. There's no way someone has even 20 for personal use.

I'm probably only going to take 3 with me because I was planning on splitting them with someone. They'll all be in one bag, so hopefully I'll be good if anything goes wrong.

I'm moving this to Legal Discussion, to help prevent misinformation from being spread back and forth.

All further legal questions of this nature should be posted there. Thanks. :)

recordplayer said:
That seems kind of off, that's like 100 pills. There's no way someone has even 20 for personal use.

I'm probably only going to take 3 with me because I was planning on splitting them with someone. They'll all be in one bag, so hopefully I'll be good if anything goes wrong.

Untrue.
Let's say you buy 2 pills and eat them. Best roll ever! Now you go and buy 50 of them because you know they're strong, plus you're getting a nice price for buying a lot. You might just want to not have to spend time trying out pills. This way, you know you'll be rolling off them so there is no chance of having an event ruined due to shit pills.

I've always wondered this to actually..it would suck to get a kick ass deal on a say 20 pills or something which realistically could very well be for personal use but ended up getting charged for intent if you ever got caught with them

i kno someone1 got caught w/ 50 n has trafficing, 7 years MMS. Rule number one DONT get caught

Ok here is what happen to me. I got caught with 30 and was charged with poss with intent to dist. Now I got off with poss when my case was all done. It doesn't not matter how many you have. You could have 1 pill but if they think you were on your way to sell it then they can still charge you with intent. Also how you have it bagged makes a difference.

their are people who get prescribed 300 pills a month and take 10 a day, If their your own and you had 4 on you and your supposed to take 4 or more a day I dont see how you could get in trouble as long as their in your bottle. Hopefully you were carrying them around for personal use.

rgpizza said:
their are people who get prescribed 300 pills a month and take 10 a day, If their your own and you had 4 on you and your supposed to take 4 or more a day I dont see how you could get in trouble as long as their in your bottle. Hopefully you were carrying them around for personal use.

I'm confused are we talking about beans or drugs you get with a script?

11abc11 said:
I'm confused are we talking about beans or drugs you get with a script?

Talking about them disco biscuits. :p

I can see the confusion, though. It was originally in ED, so I didn't mention ecstasy in the post.

Depends on the law in the state where you were busted (unless you were busted by the feds, in which case it would be about federal law). State law typically relies on surrounding indicators, like whether you had a scale, money, baggies, or a large amount. It is then up to judge or jury whether you "intended" to distribute. Sometimes a large amount in itself is enough to get an intent to distribute charge. But, really, it depends on where you are being charged.

Im in a state with one of the harshest laws in the land o America.

I got popped with 18 and got possession.

I got very lucky, had a great lawyer, and i have NEVER had run-ins with the law before.