View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Liking Amphetamine Linked to Reduced Risk of Mental Disorders

edgarshade

Bluelighter
The Scientist

By Emily Willingham | April 7, 2014

People who report having enjoyed amphetamine are more likely to have gene variants associated with protection against attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder and schizophrenia, a study shows.

A euphoric response to amphetamine could signal the presence of gene variants associated with protection against attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and schizophrenia. Publishing today (April 7) in PNAS, a team led by Abraham Palmer from the University of Chicago reported having found that DNA differences associated with amphetamine response are also correlated with a reduced risk for both conditions.

The results link two disorders that are treated in opposing ways: people with schizophrenia are often given drugs to block dopamine signaling, while those with ADHD are typically given drugs that imitate dopamine. So identifying a common feature between them is “interesting and somewhat surprising,” Philip Asherson, a molecular psychiatrist at King’s College London, told The Scientist in an e-mail. Asherson, who was not involved in the study, called the results convincing: “to have these findings by chance does seem unlikely,” he said.

“I might’ve predicted that whichever way it went for schizophrenia, it would go the opposite way for ADHD because of what we use to treat these disorders,” said Palmer. “But in fact, that’s not what we saw. So that’s a little bit surprising.”

More...
http://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...e-Linked-to-Reduced-Risk-of-Mental-Disorders/

lol fuck yeah, amphetaminez.

Feel like I should dose some now =D

Ah, I shall exploit this study at every opportunity. LOL!

Please do.

"We will fight terror, with terror." - At least that's how I recall Bush phrasing it.

Anti-prohibition propaganda for a world once drowning in scientifically inaccurate, racially motivated, politically biased "facts" about Cannabis sativa, Papaver somniferum, and the Erythroxylum coca plant species.

Now would be a good time to really push towards undoing all the damage done by Harry Asslicker, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagen, the UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs treaties, the CSA, and the DEA in general, etc.

If America's war on drugs ends at the federal level, all other UN nations and their drug polices will soon follow - in the end, with the exception of Russia, who doesn't even allow Methadone Maintenance Treatment.

This doesn't make any sense. I've been declared ADHD since the age of seven and then took another evaluation at the age of sixteen. Amphetamines had been extremely euphoric for me. And most people I know that have been on amphetamines for AD(H)D have responded with euphoria as well. As well as all of my friends. A hyperthymic response from amphetamines seems rather universal.