• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Likelihood of serotonin toxicity

Moschops

Greenlighter
Hello darlings,

SWIM is a new member and really needs some advice. checked online but can't find an answer to my specific question.

had a few dabs of an extremely lovely base (speed). taken citalopram -prescribed - and antihistamines (to aid relaxation).

However, belatedly found out that there's a risk of serotonin toxicity if you mix the base with the citalopram, an SSRI. In short, bricking it a little bit (that means scared to our American cousins).

My question is: what is the probability of this happening? I know it's rare, but how rare?

I'd welcome your advice, lovely people.

X

Last edited:
I can't give you a definite answer, but the risk is absolutely there. Don't use any more speed unless you stop the SSRI and it's out of your system.

I can't give you a definite answer, but the risk is absolutely there. Don't use any more speed unless you stop the SSRI and it's out of your system.
Thanks mate. Oh believe you me, I definitely haven't and won't. How long is it until out of the system?

Thanks mate. Oh believe you me, I definitely haven't and won't. How long is it until out of the system?
Half-life of citalopram is around 36 hours, so 72ish hours and you should be good? Depends on your body of course, could be more or less.

And good, yeah definitely don't redose until you've given yourself a few days at least. Serotonin syndrome sounds like a terrible thing to have to deal with.

Half-life of citalopram is around 36 hours, so 72ish hours and you should be good? Depends on your body of course, could be more or less.

And good, yeah definitely don't redose until you've given yourself a few days at least. Serotonin syndrome sounds like a terrible thing to have to deal with.
Oh yeah speak from experience serotonin syndrome. Was completely fucked

Hello darlings,

SWIM is a new member and really needs some advice. checked online but can't find an answer to my specific question.

had a few dabs of an extremely lovely base (speed). taken citalopram -prescribed - and antihistamines (to aid relaxation).

However, belatedly found out that there's a risk of serotonin toxicity if you mix the base with the citalopram, an SSRI. In short, bricking it a little bit (that means scared to our American cousins).

My question is: what is the probability of this happening? I know it's rare, but how rare?

I'd welcome your advice, lovely people.

X
Welcome to bluelight, relatively new myself, there's no need to use 'SWIM' in conversation btw, it's all good to talk in the first person 👍🏻

Low to moderate doses of amphetamine isnt too problematic with citalopram, they are somewhat commonly co-prescribed. However if you're fooling around with amphetamine base its easy to get into the high dose territory.

Overall the SSRI is going to increase the side-effects

Thanks all of you for getting back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it. X