• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

lightbulb vaporizer. . worth trying?

ChipTrippyFox

Bluelighter
I've read over and over that once you go vape; you ussualy preffer it over the conventional combustion method associated with smoking cannabis; however I've not the money right now to buy a good vape. Also I only recently started using marijuana again after years of being suppressed from it.

So I ask you; is the lightbulb DIY vape worth trying out?
How many have tried it; I know the upsides of vaping; but are there any downsides aside from a little extra effort to load your cannabis into the bulb?

Thanks in advance :)

I've read over and over that once you go vape; you ussualy preffer it over the conventional combustion method associated with smoking cannabis

Meh. Just a way for people to feel better about their drug use because they are so "health conscious". Unsatisfying high IMO but others like it, whatever.

So I ask you; is the lightbulb DIY vape worth trying out?

Well it's not like it'll cost you much, go ahead?

How many have tried it; I know the upsides of vaping; but are there any downsides aside from a little extra effort to load your cannabis into the bulb?

I haven't used an actual lightbulb but I've used a glass pipe in the same way (weed under the bowl not in the bowl, heated from the bottom instead of burned from the top). It works. Just not well. Options are to not get a lot out of the weed at a time and end up sucking like a $2 whore for ages to get high and end up with partially vaped weed with a lot of THC still in it or then to overheat it, burn your fingers when handling the "vape", and end up with charred weed that still has a lot of THC in it. Maybe it's a skill one needs to master though. Crumble/grind it into really small particles and only have a very thin layer in the bulb at a time for best results.

Options are to not get a lot out of the weed at a time and end up sucking like a $2 whore for ages to get high

LOL!

Do you really think its that bad for economical consumption? I mean.. Personally I feel like i would have a similar train of thought and i couldnt allow myself to throw out the left over material after vaping and i would probably smoke it anyway.. :\ But that being said, i find it hard to believe that everyone who swears by vaporization is simply telling themselves that to make themselves feel better about being healthy >.>

One of the reasons i think you may have not had much luck with your glass pipe attempt is that the glass on a standard marijuana pipe is ALOT thicker than a lightbulb or vape pipe (such as ones used for smoking methamphetamine) so you would need to sit there for alot longer with the lighter under the bowl to effectively heat the substance on the other side of the glass. This would mean more of the pipe is heating up as well; which you risk burning yourself on.
Thats the main reason people choose lightbulbs for this because the glass is very very thin.

Do you really think its that bad for economical consumption? I mean.. Personally I feel like i would have a similar train of thought and i couldnt allow myself to throw out the left over material after vaping and i would probably smoke it anyway.. :\

Well it's how you look at it. If you are able to get high off a really small amount and still have vaped material that can get you high left over it might be the most economical way there is. But if you end up charring the weed it's pretty much wasted, and even vaped weed tastes really gross when smoked, bitter dryness. At least you can cook with it if it's just been vaped. Also you need a really low tolerance (which even if you do will disappear really fast with constant use), or a lot of time.

But that being said, i find it hard to believe that everyone who swears by vaporization is simply telling themselves that to make themselves feel better about being healthy >.>

Feeling better about their drug use, not about being healthy. But sure things aren't black and white there are other reasons too. But it's a huge issue that people aren't willing to admit. And it's prevalent in a lot of drug use, just think about fancy liqours instead of any old booze or pills instead of heroin or whatever.

One of the reasons i think you may have not had much luck with your glass pipe attempt is that the glass on a standard marijuana pipe is ALOT thicker than a lightbulb or vape pipe (such as ones used for smoking methamphetamine) so you would need to sit there for alot longer with the lighter under the bowl to effectively heat the substance on the other side of the glass. This would mean more of the pipe is heating up as well; which you risk burning yourself on.
Thats the main reason people choose lightbulbs for this because the glass is very very thin.

Nah it was pretty thin, would have worked great as meth pipe.

heh :p well i guess Ill likely end up giving it a shot, no harm in it really. Just some healthy experimentation to add under my belt. Im just trying to get some live action discussion on the topic ^^

Id like to hear from those who have tried it as well as other means of vaporization and how they compare to eachother as well as compared to combustion (smoking)

the diy lightbulb vape works as long as you don't burn the light bulb because it will cause black burnt mark and possible fumes you don't want to inhale

i've been a owner of many table top vaporizers (except volcano) and many hand held ones, save yourself some money $$$ and buy either arizer solo or magic flight launch box

my favorite is still arizer solo, it might not give you a big hit but the cloud and the high + taste is there.

bulb-style vape is ok for oil but a waste for green, just ends up burning it if you accidentally too much flame.

I've vaped hash with a lightbulb before and it worked somewhat ok. Tried with weed too but it didn't work very well. I mean it works, but you're better off smoking it imho.

Salutations ChipTrippyFox,

...everyone who swears by vaporization... ...to make themselves feel better about being healthy...

In my opinion you'd be wise not to give smoking (e.g. combustion) yet another try for the next 30+ some years, only to come back at us to share your frustrations (...), after walking that same path many others have experienced already. There's just too many to account for them all but i'm ready to bet you'd find a few who used the light bulb, aHummm, "vaporizer" over years if not decades. M'yeah, plenty of those considering the co$t and agravation linked to keeping paraphernalia around!! A light bulb is so "stealthy" and the evidence would be easily destroyed (then flushed in a toilet bowl) should some emergency situation occur... After all peace of mind also promotes health, yano!!! Yet with the ban of incandescent bulbs threatening to spread across the globe i'd candidly suggest you run to the next hardware store and purchase as much as possible, because light bulbs won't be around ferever - dude! Just try to evaluate your most pressing needs, for example for a teenager under age who's not even 18 yet i'd have to suggest making a reserve of, say 480 bulbs (if you plan to stay healthy for ~80 years or so) x 6 bulbs a year (if you keep breaking them often all along), etc., euh... Only 480 bulbs in 12-packs should cost you less in Cannuck money than a Volcano i guess, while your bulbs will last you a life time - litterally.

So, that's a no-brainer really. Think about it!...

Please consider joining the happy crowd of bulb-vapers for your own long-term benefit, and that of others i'm sure, euh...

Good day, have fun!!

=D

Last edited:
Yeah I imagen this would work alot better for hash or oil than it would for plant material. You would have to find a way to evenly heat the thc in the plant evenly which would be difficult to do without burning the plant .

Personaly i preffer to bust up my buds not with a grinder.. but with a pestle. I crush it into a very fine powder. Grinders are too inconsistent for my liking. The only advantage I can see to them is the ability to collect kief (which would likely work well to lightbulb vape, lol! )
But anyways, I think my method would help with the vaping process if I go ahead and try it ^^;
It's worth an attempt at least for the sake of experimentation.

waste of weed imo, better off just smoking it. chances are you are going to be using a lighter for heating element or some other source of heat that will make it near impossible to regulate temperature. The difference between burning, vaping, and just heating up the plant is a matter of degrees. Unless you have a way to maintain a temp of very close to 370 i'd say just smoke it.

plus what about all that shit they put inside lightbulbs.. ya you can wash it but i'd rather not trust it.

I thought vaping temp was between 200c and 300c ( closer to 200) and anything over that starts releasing carbon monoxide..?

Also there isn't anything in lightbulb besides the powder coating which appearently washes out easily, and is presumably nontoxic; and there are clear ones available anyways. :p

Thanks for the opinion though!

Yep, THC has a pretty low boiling point, well under 200c, but some other actives go up to about 230c. Going higher will create carbon monoxide (the black burnt mark trancetasy was talking about).

I've vaped hash with a lightbulb before and it worked somewhat ok. Tried with weed too but it didn't work very well. I mean it works, but you're better off smoking it imho.
This. Just don't even try it. When I made one it was pretty much just a waste of time and buds. Pretty weak smoke ability .

Just like what was mentioned .. It was pretty lame..but its worth a try. Something new.. .. I did it once never again .. Did work but not my thing

I have made many many of these back in the day. Id take a large bulb, break out the insides with a screwdriver, wash it out, then cut a hole in a coke cap and squeeze a pen tube through. Then cut a rush hole and tighten the cap, which should fit the lightbulb threads.

Heady sort of high. U can even smoke the weed after its vaped.

i dont think these are healthy in the slightest tho. No telling how much glass i inhaled from burning the outside, which u arent technically supposed to do.