• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Light to moderate DXM use while on SSRI's

masumune

Bluelighter
I know I should just avoid it all together. I understand the risks of serotonin syndrome. I have taken on a few occasions 10-20 30 mg dxm tablets before I was aware of the dangers of combining dxm with ssri's with no issues and yes I know that doesn't mean complications can still happen. I am wondering though if my chances of a bad interaction are significantly lower if I don't take my zoloft 2 to 3 days before dosing dxm. I am aware that it will still be in system but will it make a difference?

Sertraline (zoloft)'s half life is around 26 hours, so there will still be a fairly significant amount in your bloodstream especially if you have been dosing daily for some time - lower than if you had dosed within 24 hours though, of course.

It's one of those things where we know there is a risk of SS, and SS can cause death, but we don't know the exact doses. It is playing with fire though. I would not be confident in saying that just because you have been fine thus far, means you will always be fine at these doses, and I certainly could not say that anyone else would be free of danger (for anyone else reading this!). Reducing the plasma concentration of sertraline would probably help but again, it's an unknown and not worth the risk IMO.

There is also the very real risk that messing up your dosing schedule of sertraline will affect it's effectiveness - you don't want to bring about a relapse...

I would avoid.

I've done it before with no ill effects, however I wouldn't recommend it. It probably wasn't the smartest idea doing it the times I did either, Serotonin Syndrome is scary business.

Wait, I thought you were abusing it. Taking 30mg ONLY while on an SSRI shouldn't be a problem at all. I've taken 700mg whilst on 200mg Zoloft a day. But then again, everyone is different. Use your best judgement.

Edit - Never mind, you are trying to abuse it. No, only a few days will not be long enough. It's generally recommended to wait 2-3 weeks for an SSRI to leave your system fully, but you'll go through withdrawals. I also take back my previous advice, I wouldn't risk SS for a DXM high.

I also want to use low doses (60mg) to potentate kratom once a week;. I am on 50mg paxil daily. I cant imagine this being dangerous or random ssri users with coughs would be dropping like flies not so?

I also want to use low doses (60mg) to potentate kratom once a week;. I am on 50mg paxil daily. I cant imagine this being dangerous or random ssri users with coughs would be dropping like flies not so?

Good question.

I also want to use low doses (60mg) to potentate kratom once a week;. I am on 50mg paxil daily. I cant imagine this being dangerous or random ssri users with coughs would be dropping like flies not so?[/QU

I wouldn't think that 60mg would have enough serotonergic effects to cause a problem. I cant say for sure that you wont have ill effects, but my money is on no ill effects. Personally I have taken moderate doses of dxm on many different ssri's without any problem.

Just make sure you know the signs of serotonin syndrome and keep an eye out for them just to be safe.

Why you risking SS for 30mg of dxm?

Wait, I thought you were abusing it. Taking 30mg ONLY while on an SSRI shouldn't be a problem at all.

The OP said taking 10 to 20 30mg capsules, not just one 30mg dose.

I wouldn't think that normal therapeutic doses the same as those used for a cough would be very dangerous, but pharmacies and doctors do warn against it. For example The People's Pharmacy (a book and website providing drug and health information) states:

Do not take cough syrup containing dextromethorphan while taking Paxil, Zoloft or similar antidepressants. An article by Donald Arnold, MD, in the December 2002 issue of Pediatrics in Review documents the interaction between antidepressants like Paxil or Prozac and the cough medicine dextromethorphan. When people combine dextromethorphan with Prozac-like drugs the result can be serotonin syndrome.

It's really hard to find info on what doses of DXM present a real risk for SS when taken with an anti-depressant, and it varies greatly from person to person. I would either avoid it or try a very small amount first. 60mg isn't a low dose for me.

taking DXM on ssri's is incredibly stupid, it's not worth the risk for a shitty DXM buzz

I had no idea. I've been on 60 mgs of Prozac for 6 years and when I get cough syrup with codeine I drink it like soda. Ill look into serotonin syndrome. Never been warned about it.

dude cough syrup with codeine is different than DXM... DXM syrup is OTC and you have to have a script got codeine syrup.

codeine syrup and SSRIs will be fine, but the effects will be dimished by zoloft because it is a strong inhibitor of 2D6 which converts codeine into morphine, but some research shows that morphine procured is not responsible for it's opiate affects.

Codeine-6-glucuronide (C6G) is a major active metabolite of codeine and may be responsible for as much as 60% of the analgesic effects of codeine. C6G exhibits decreased immunosuppressive effects compared to codeine.[1] During its metabolism, codeine is conjugated with glucuronic acid by the enzyme UDP-Glucuronosyltransferase-2B7 (UGT2B7) to form codeine-6-glucuronide.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeine-6-glucuronide

Okay. How about this: I've been taking 60 mgs Dextromethorphan with my suboxone because I read it potentiates pain relief when combined. Remember, I'm also on Proxac 60 mgs daily. Topamax 100 mgs daily. Lamatcil 100 mgs daily. Is that dangerous? I was a pain patient who was taken off all opaite pain killers.

Yes, people say it is dangerous and Serotonin Syndrome is serious. But I had been taking one 20mg tablet of Paxil once a day every for over a month before my first attempt to trip on DXM, and I have drank whole Robitussin bottles in one night and survived. I went on a week long stint of taking 500mg+ of DXM daily and came out okay (as far as I can tell) WHILE taking my daily dose of Paxil.

in my experience basically any dose of dxm with an ssri will cause negative side effects and as little as 200-300mg can cause serotonin syndrome for me on the combo. and i'm 6'3" and fat so that's nothing for me. i've done as much as 1500mg or so in a day when not on anti-depressents. it is impossible to have a good experience on dxm while taking ssris IMO. or wellbutrin for that matter, probably any prescription anti-depressent really.

I would warn against this combination at all costs. Have I taken DXM while on serotonergic drugs, such as SSRI's? Yes, I have, and I have survived, but I have had a few experiences where I knew my body was being assaulted with the barrage of serotonergic effects, and it was not like a simple DXM trip without any serotonergics; it was toxic-feeling - not pleasant. And, I am not talking about large doses of DXM with SSRI's and similar drugs, but rather doses not much higher than the recommended therapeutic doses to suppress cough. Serotonin syndrome can be quite mild, or very severe and life-threatening, or anywhere in between. I know I have experienced very mild bouts of serotonin syndrome, and even that feels very wrong and very unhealthful. I would advise, most strongly, against combining any dose of an SSRI or similar serotonergic drug with any dose of DXM. I am fairly sure even my 'very mild' experiences put my body at significant risk. There will be some interaction, and it is just a very, very dangerous game to play. Also, it should be remembered that different individuals respond very differently to a given dose of DXM; some people can have a fairly risky reaction, even if not on any other drugs, after having taken only 30 mg or so of DXM, because of certain variances in how one person metabolizes DXM to the next, and because of the fact that the chemical response to DXM (and all serotonergics) varies a great deal from one person to the next. When I did combine DXM with a serotonergic anti-depressant, I was not in a good mindset, and was a bit passively suicidal (if you might call it that), and even then restricted my DXM dose to between 30 mg and 90 mg, with very notable psychotropic effects, and keep in mind, I am a normal metabolizer of DXM and tolerate serotonergic drugs quite well. Small doses of DXM, in those combinations, really caused marked psychological and physiological effects on my mind and body; I remember I'd always be burning up - feeling hot as hell - and sweating beyond profusely, I'd have saucer-sized pupils (much more dilated than after having taken a respectable dose of amphetamine, including MDMA), I would feel very, very queer, like I was thrust into some plateau sigma without any of the desirable effects of such a plateau, I would have trouble talking, I would be fairly confused over everything, experience grave dysphoria, have my heart rate very well above what is considered tachycardia, I'd just be praying for like a Thorazine to help even some of it out, and I'd experience countless other horrible effects as a result. Now, DXM alone, without any serotonergic drugs, had always been fine, even at markedly higher doses than the above mentioned 30 mg to 90 mg (well above 300 mg), with few side-effects and transient, if any, dysphoric experiences. So, I'd really, really take serotonin syndrome VERY SERIOUSLY; always, be cautious - you can always wait until a certain serotonergic drug has been discontinued for a while to have fun with DXM, but dropping Zoloft for just a few days to use DXM is just not safe. I beg you heed this warning.

AND, even if you've been in the clear with the same or higher doses, before, do not risk falling into serotonin syndrome - it really does only take one time, regardless of getting through past experiences okay. Even ultra-light use, I would warn against with all my might. Please, just avoid the DXM. It is not worth the very real, very big risk of significantly endangering your life.

I am on 300 mg of Wellbutrin for depression and 20 mg of Zoloft for anxiety. I used to abuse DXM years ago, but today i am actually sick. Can i take 60-120 mg of Mucinex DM only today and be ok? this will be a one time thing and i actually need it.
How much do you have to take and how often to risk serotonin syndrome?

No. I've been on similar combinations and miniscule amounts of dxm (like 30mg) made me feel like dogshit.

DXM doesn't do anything for a cough anyway get cough drops.

Ok this is my first reply on this website. Ive been a lurker of this forum for years now. Ive read all the rules and understand not to condone irresponsible /dangerous action when takeing any drug. So before i begin my story PLEASE dont do anything i say in this, this was very iresponsible and shouldnt be repeated.

So it starts with when i met some guy while haveing a smoke outside my appt. He came to me and was obv high on something. He asked for a ciggarete so i gave him one. I was high on a lower dose of dxm so i wasnt exactly staggering or super obv high.

he asks
"Are you high on something?"
So i reply honestly
"Yeah im high on dxm"
He then asks
"Whats dxm?"

So i tell him what it is and he suprseingly doesnt care. i personally thought he would think im weird. Turns out this guy lives in the same appt as me so i let him in and he goes into his appt and i go into mine.

The next day starts going, its like any regular day. then sunset starts and i here a knock on the door i answer it and its the guy i met the otherday.

He tells me
"Hey wanna trip on some of that stuff you were on yesterday?"
I ask
"What , dxm?"
He replys
"Yeah that stuff"

So i stupidly say yes. So we go to the store and "obtain" the cough syrup and head back to my appt. We open the door and mt gf is talking to someone so we wait and he invites me over to his appt to play on his ps3. I said ok and we headed over.

We sat down opened up the few bottles and started guzzling some random dose of cough syrup. I finished off a big bottle and a little which must of been 700-800 mg a heavy moderate to high dose.

So i say "good thing we arent takeing anti depressants"
He replys
"Um im on (insert ssri/maoi here)

I then tell him the dangers and things get awkward. So i put on my shoes and slowly stagger on back to my appt and attempt to sleep. The next day we talked he never got lethal ss . he told me he crapped his pants in his sleep and was pouring sweat the whole night. It scared me all night and i would never EVER take dxm and an ssri.

Moral of the story is dont take ssris and dxm EVER even a small dose i wouldnt risk even the mild symtoms of ss over trying yo get rid of a irritating cough. And plus dieijg of ss is one of the most painful deaths i here. I hope you guys enjoyed my story. Maybe it was in the wrong section im sorry if it was.