Lie Detectors (Polygraphs)

ultru-light

Bluelighter
Are police allowed to use lie detectors on people if they think they commited the crime and if the popo do use the lie detector is there any way to lie and get away with it.
Iv heard of one way and that is to put a pin in your shoe and when they do the controled test like ask if this is your name and address ect what you do is stand on the pin so it shows your stress levels hit the roof but your still telling the truth so they lower the sencetivity.
Would this work and do you know another way?
I dont need this info its just been eating the shit outa me to know how people would rig a lie test.

Lie detectors rarely hold up in court nowadays. They're too falliable.

Easiest way to get around one and still lie? Enter a state of meditation.

Lie detectors are NEVER admissable in court. The easiest way to beat one is to refuse to take it (based on the fact that they are fundamentally flawed and not very accurate).

They use polygraphs when hiring people to work with sensitive information but not usually for anything else.

They often threaten to use a polygraph in the hope that the suspect will confess (since most people believe that polygraphs actually work).

You can beat a polygraph by biting your tongue or thinking exciting thoughts when answering the 'test question'.

sonic said:
Lie detectors are NEVER admissable in court.
Not true. Much of this is governed by states' rules of evidence. Several states have prohibitions on polygraph evidence, but not all.

Learning how to beat a polygraph takes a serious time committment, and it is not as simple as putting a tack in your foot.

Here is a good pamphlet on learning "countermeasures:"
http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

Here is a good site on general (anti-)polygraph information:
http://antipolygraph.org/index.shtml

^ WTF? Any idea which states allow the polygraph? That's just wrong.

Polygraphs are generally not admissable as evidence in a court of law.

They will never withstand judicial scrutiny in an American court of law. In Europe they don't even bother, polygraphs are about as accurate as astrology.

Couldn't you just practice your 5th ammendment rights and not say anything even if they do hook you up to the polygraph machine?

sonic said:
^ WTF? Any idea which states allow the polygraph? That's just wrong.
I don't have time to search through every state, but a quick search yields UNITED STATES v. GALBRETH, a federal case, where polygraph results were admissible as part of a tax fraud case (908 F.Supp. 877 (1995)).

While there is certainly extreme reluctance and caution by courts when admitting polygraphs, especially when they relate to straight up guilt or innocence questions, the judicial system is far from imposing a total ban. There are plenty of other purposes for which they have been admitted.

NeverAgain123 said:
They will never withstand judicial scrutiny in an American court of law.
Again, this is simply not true.

Last edited:
Polygraphs are just usually when police want to further pursue a case, but have nothin', so they want to test if you can honestly say yes or no.

[Please note, my experience is limited to a few times, and they were all large settings (on person fired in after the other) after....unpleasantness]

Trick to beatin' the poly?
When your being set up (with the suction cups, finger clamp), Get very, very upset [Like, beat red], or sad [remember friend dieing, ect..] , any extreme of emotion to have as your "baseline" [Also, I heard pain works, but havent tried]. Good, Hold this emotion for a few moments, It completely FUCKS your test hard (Was told this by a hardened con, so I tried it, works). :p, The look on Constable (removed)'s face, when I told him I was "Jesus christ, Your Savior" and the fuckin' needle stayed within range! haha....

Also, being on substances also fuck your test (fuck your heartrate too bad to get accurate reading), havent personally tried, again, picked up the knowledge from a hardened friend.

Ungoliath said:
Trick to beatin' the poly?
When your being set up (with the suction cups, finger clamp), Get very, very upset [Like, beat red], or sad [remember friend dieing, ect..] , any extreme of emotion to have as your "baseline" [Also, I heard pain works, but havent tried]. Good, Hold this emotion for a few moments, It completely FUCKS your test hard (Was told this by a hardened con, so I tried it, works). :p, The look on Constable (removed)'s face, when I told him I was "Jesus christ, Your Savior" and the fuckin' needle stayed within range! haha....
Again, it's a bit more complicated than this (see links above). If you were dealing with a local constable, it is true that small law enforcement usually do not have people who are as highly qualified to operate polygraphs as say someone who is giving a CIA security clearance exam.

But if there is one thing that is abundantly clear from the inherent unreliability of polygraphs, it is that it is usually not in your interest to consent to one.