• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Liberals to announce marijuana will be legal by July 1, 2018

ro4eva

Bluelighter
CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.

Bill Blair, the former Toronto police chief who has been stickhandling the marijuana file for the government, briefed the Liberal caucus on the roll-out plan and the legislation during caucus meetings this weekend, according to a senior government official who spoke to CBC News on condition of anonymity.

Provinces to control sales

The federal government will be in charge of making sure the country's marijuana supply is safe and secure and Ottawa will license producers.

But the provinces will have the right to decide how the marijuana is distributed and sold. Provincial governments will also have the right to set price.

While Ottawa will set a minimum age of 18 to buy marijuana, the provinces will have the option of setting a higher age limit if they wish.

4 plants per household

As for Canadians who want to grow their own marijuana, they will be limited to four plants per household.

Legalizing marijuana was one of the more controversial promises Justin Trudeau made as he campaigned to become prime minister.

But in their platform the Liberals said it was necessary to "legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana" in order to keep drugs "out of the hands of children, and the profits out of the hands of criminals."

The Liberals had promised to introduce legislation by the Spring of 2017. Announcing the legislation the week of April 10 will allow the party to hit that deadline.

Raids raise questions

Trudeau referred again to that rough timetable a few weeks ago when he said the legislation would be introduced before the summer. But at the same time he also warned that it wasn't yet open season for the legal sale of marijuana.

"Until we have a framework to control and regulate marijuana, the current laws apply," Trudeau said in Esquimalt, B.C. on March 1.

That warning became more concrete a week later, when police in Toronto, Vancouver and other cities carried out raids on marijuana dispensaries and charged several people with possession and trafficking, including noted pot advocates Marc and Jodie Emery.

Trudeau's promise to legalize marijuana was seen as one of the reasons for the Liberals' strong showing among youth voters in the 2015 election.

But at the NDP's leadership debate in Montreal Sunday, which was focused on youth issues, several of the candidates pointed to marijuana legislation as an example of a broken Liberal promise.

"I do not believe Justin Trudeau is going to bring in the legalization of marijuana and as proof that ... we are still seeing, particularly young, Canadians being criminalized by simple possession of marijuana," said B.C. MP Peter Julian.

===============================================
Article: http://www.cbc.ca/neThe Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.
===============================================

It's about freakin' time, Justin.

That's awesome, is that all definite? So you will be able to legally buy from shops and grow 4 plants at home? I would love that to happen here.

I dont mind paying tax on it, especially if it's passed QA and I know the %'s of THC and CBD and the strain etc. Atm the weed I buy can be all sorts of things and I generally have no choice, I either buy it or go without.

And to be able to grow 4 plants? Yes please.

CANADA TO LEGALISE MARIJUANA BY 2018, BUT COULD IT COME DOWN UNDER?

Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau is set to act on his campaign promise to legalise the recreational use of Weed.

Moreover, Canada’s latest change may push Australia to undertake reform itself, according to Australian Sex Party leader Fiona Patten.

So what would the changes mean if they were imlemented in Australia?

Download Audio

http://de9znd9hicg5y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/28070654/CanadaWeed.mp3

What if you had 4 plants and topped them a bunch of times? That could up the yield right? 4 doesn't seem like that many, and I'd have to guess every Canadian who smokes already has at least 4 plants haha

4 plants period, with no distinction between flowering and immature? Yeah, that really isn't that much.

Any legalization measure, no matter how compromised and imperfect, strikes a blow against prohibition and is thus welcome in my eyes, though.

Many of you are no-doubt aware that law enforcement continues to raid unlicensed shops and have continued to level Harper-era (and potentially-devastating) charges against the owners of these establishments. And the vast majority of these folks had no priors whatsoever, which makes it all-the-more tragic.

This issue has resulted in A LOT of backlash towards Trudeau, particularly because he seems to have adopted a hostile stance towards unlicensed store ops. Be that as it may, I definitely believe that he could purge any political fallout in the long-run IF he sees to it that weed becomes legal as planned by Canada Day 2018. Obviously you can't make everyone happy, but the majority of Canadians apparently want to see this become a reality a.s.a.p.

As for me, I've never really found pot to be worth the typical price of admission - to each his or her own. That said, the importance of the progress made by the ratification of such drug policy reform absolutely cannot be overstated. This will be a historic step away from the superstitious conjecture of reefer madness in general. And who knows? It may convince the rest of the commonwealth to do the same.

Along the way, we'll no doubt witness desperate pleas from Big Alcohol and Big Pharma to "think of the children" and to "just say no" (have a Bug Light instead - the politically correct psychoactive drug). Hypocrites - the lot of them. The despicable gig is up, and enough is enough.

Legalization is the future. Both in the United States and (to an extent) internationally. I'm a firm believer in this...the American west coast is the example for how well this works...not only has the human & economic cost of cannabis prohibition been eliminated, but the using base of cannabis has also greatly been expanded & evolved...it has enabled people from all walks of life & backgrounds to enjoy/benefit from this wonderful plant, not just "stoners" (i.e. the people who certain media outlets like to characterize as the typical marijuana consumer, chopping up garden hoses to make homemade bongs etc.) And if taxing cannabis sales helps fund essential services, I don't really have a problem with that personally (within reason...

And the quality of product is on-point. When I was in Oregon I purchased a quarter ounce of 27% THC marijuana for less than I'd pay for a quarter of mid-high grade weed on the east coast. Also purchased a variety of edibles and BHO products. The quality & range of cannabis products you can obtain is just amazing, truly something for everyone

I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but progressive marijuana reform also has a beneficial effect when viewed within the context of the larger "War on Drugs". For many people, especially young people and/or minorities, their first exposure to the criminal justice system is a marijuana possession charge.