• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Let's talk TRAMADOL (I.E. ULTRAM)!

jonnynobody

Greenlighter
This thread is directed at individuals with experience taking Tramadol (brand name Ultram) both positive and negative.

I found tramadol by accident before they became a Schedule 4 controlled substance in the US and was abusing them for approximately 6 months with a prescription. I thought because they weren't controlled, they weren't going to be addictive or habit forming. I initially started with 1 50MG pill and rapidly progressed to 6 tablets in a days time which brought on what I believe was seretonin syndrome which was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I then had to rapidly reduce from 6 pills/day to 2/day. I had to take 6 MG of xanax just to be able to sit on my couch and not convulse...mind you, I don't take nor do I abuse xanax; 6MG would knock me out for 2 days had I not been experiencing such horrendous withdrawal.

After a nightmarish 2-3 days, I finally leveled out. I was then taking 2/day in the morning and nothing else for the rest of the day (100MG). It was pure utopia for me. I had energy, I felt great, I was constantly in a positive state of mind, and was ready to take on the world every single day. Then I refilled my script, noticed the pills were different but didn't think much of it. I took my usual 2 tablets (round AN 627's) which takes 10-15 minutes to hit me (fast metabolism), but after 45 minutes I got none of the usual tramadol symptoms such as elevated mood, increased energy, etc...Instead, I got extremely anxious, nervous, hostile, and aggressive which is unlike anything I've ever experienced taking tramadol before.

I then verified online that the pills I was taking was indeed tramadol as I thought the pharmacy fucked up. They were indeed referenced as tramadol, but from a new INDIAN drug manufacturer called Amneal Pharmaceuticals who flooded the market with their new CHEAP formulation and it is like a completely different drug. I then experienced a 2 day hangover where I was depressed and agitated which is very unlike me. I tried one more dose and threw 150+ pills down the toilet; that's how bad an experience this was.

I then tried a different generic made by an ISRAELI pharmaceutical company called Teva. I took my usual 2 and within 15 minutes, I was so fucked up, I was terrified to drive less than a mile to go home and I subsequently passed out on the couch. My wife thought I had scored some H or something. I assured her, I just took tramadol. Again, I experienced something that was unique to this manufacturer. There was no pleasure, no satisfaction, no energy, no positive feeling; just agitation and severe anxiety. Extremely frustrated and unable to afford the brand name Ultram @ $2.52/pill, I tried another generic by Sun Pharmaceuticals; another INDIAN pharmaceutical company. I got the exact same experience from the Sun Pharmas (round 319's) as I got from the Amneal 627's.

I then decided to do some research online about my little conundrum as I strongly want some tramadol on hand for just 2 tabs once or twice per week, but something is indeed going awry with these generic formulations.

Low and behold, there are many reports online of people being switched to the amneal 627's (pharmacy gets a cheaper price) and reported the same experience I received. Since India can't even provide clean water to their citizens or keep their electrical grid up for a solid 24 hours, even in their capital city, I'm loathe to believe they can produce quality pharmaceuticals of the same quality as the Germans / swiss (i.e. Grunenthal) and my personal experience with their versions of tramadol confirm my suspicions. Both Sun Pharma and Amneal are currently under sanctions by the US FDA for a variety of reasons, none of which are appealing if you happen to be a customer of theirs.

I then called every pharmacy within 30 minutes of me (and I live in a large city) and EVERY single pharmacy was selling either Amneal or Sun Pharma as their generic tramadol. CVS stocks Teva. The previous generic that performed well for me (did lots of pill identification searching to zero in on this) was from a pharmaceutical company called Caraco which was just recently acquired by fucking sun pharmaceuticals (fuck my life). Tramadol is one of the most widely prescribed pain killers in the world and these shit bag Indian companies are snatching up the market by taking some obvious shortcuts in the formulation process that is allowing them to undercut every other manufacturer and my negative experiences (as well as many others) is the end result.

I have an appointment in 3 weeks and I'll be telling the doctor to write brand name only and I will report my experiences to him.

Any other tramadol fans experience this shit?

And before anybody gives me the right act about generics being equivalent to brand names; save your typing. There are a number of generics that have been pulled from the market or can't be prescribed due to the generic not performing the way the brand does. Now let me put this in terms drug users like us can understand:

Have you ever smoked good weed / bad weed?
Have you ever done good / bad coke?

Guess what, when it's chemically tested, it's all coming back positive for the substance it is. There's no good or bad factored into the equation is there? But any drug user knows there's good shit and bunk shit. Please understand this analogy before anybody tells me generics are the same; they're not. If it was indeed the same, Sun Pharma / Amneal could not possibly sell a tablet of 50MG tramadol HCL for 6 cents USD while Grunenthal (brand name) costs $2.52 for the same 50MG tablet. I got news; they're NOT the same.

Oh and another perfect example just came to me. Everybody knows and loves oxycontin right? Of course you do :) Try to give a generic oxycontin (oxycodone ER is what they're labeled here in the US) to a regular OC enthusiast and they will hand them right back to you and say no thanks. They oxycodone doesn't release the same way and the fucking 80MG oxycodone ER is like 5 times the size of an OC 80...nobody wants them.

I'm very excited to hear the feedback on this and as you can see, I did my homework on this.

Last edited:
had a very similar experience many years ago and recently have had to start taking it again for back pain but i HATE the effects of most generic manufacturers as well, curious if you ever figured out any way around it all?

Didn't really read it all but you said you had a hard time doing 6 a day and even 2 a day?

I was on 500mg a day for about 2 months at one point until my supply ran out. Quit cold turkey and didn't have any withdrawals other than a headache for a day or two.

I can go on tramadol with no problem. I don't think i had generic.

I started at about 300-350 mg easily. I may have had minor hallucination, but that was it. My problems with tramadol are when i'm withdrawing. It makes me very angry and also pumped up and emotional which is not good. I may have low level depression, and it's much better if i don't have a bunch of extra energy.

I was on tramadol, about 300 mg a day for several weeks with no lessening of the effect. I was taking them for pain, so i think without the pain i would be fine with 200mg a day.

I took tramadol tablets 50 mg throughout the day, and it was truly wonderful. No anxiety, in fact, it took away my anxiety. Maybe it wasn't completely gone, but it was extremely management. Are you normally and anxious person?

It's possible that the India formulation is unbalanced in terms of tramadol isomers.

One isomer affects serotonin and the other norepinephrine. Normally the mixture is about 50/50 but if there's more of the isomer affecting norepinephrine, you night feel more agitated.

And let me add that using tramadol for anxiety is a mistake. I thought I had found a miracle drug with tramadol.

It wound up ruining my life. Please save yourself and try to get off it now, before it's too late.