• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Legitimate questions about herion.

NottheBatman

Greenlighter
This is a legitimate post, I am very new to the idea of herion myself, but my gf has had years of experience. I have not, and will not at this point shoot, my gf has a few times in the past month, and this is ultimately the reason for my post, cuz I'm at a loss for words. Apparently the h she was able to get ahold of was mixed with fentanyl. Needless to say the second time I ever witnessed her shooting, within minutes of it, she fell over and stopped breathing, I had to give CPR and call an ambulance. So yea that freaked me out, but less than a week later she said she had some different stuff, and wanted to try it again. This time I was super nervous! And I didn't do any myself, and just like the time before, seconds after, she passed out and stopped breathing. So she stayed clean for about 3 weeks, and has told me that she wants to do it again, but this time just snort it. Honestly I don't know how I feel about it, but I definitely don't want her home alone doing it. So I guess I just need some advice on helping her with dosing, and maybe just some kind of general advice on handling all of this.

Be careful and with all the strong dope and dope that's cut with fent nowadays you really are putting yourself and someone else in danger if you or they decide to use heroin. A LOT of people OD and die on heroin. This can happen to experienced users as well. Stay safe.

Is there a way you can convince her to not use it, or to get into NA/Detox/rehab?

Another thing is I'd recommend trying to get ahold of some Narcan (Naloxone). If she does overdose then give her a dose of Narcan and that will free up all her opioid receptors and stop the OD. Also if she ever does overdose and you don't have any Narcan make absolute sure you tell the operator to tell the ambulance it was an overdose of heroin, as it is essential they know to bring Narcan.

Another thing is I'd recommend trying to get ahold of some Narcan (Naloxone). If she does overdose then give her a dose of Narcan and that will free up all her opioid receptors and stop the OD. Also if she ever does overdose and you don't have any Narcan make absolute sure you tell the operator to tell the ambulance it was an overdose of heroin, as it is essential they know to bring Narcan.

Good idea! But you should learn how to administer it and keep in mind that naloxone has a pretty short half life, so after approximately half an hour the opioids will bind to the receptors again, so calling an ambulance is still important.

Rather than CPR what you should do is rescue breathing, which is just breathing for them like with CPR just no chest compressions. Also if it is state legal pick up a prescription for IV/IM ready narcan (nalaxone) that comes even in an auto injector now that you just remove the cap and press over the muscle and five seconds later they get a muscle injection quick, clean, and easy. Ask your local needle exchange about narcan. Having that around could mean the difference between a quick save & recovery vs needing the ambulance and risking her losing the supply of oxygen to the brain, which is likely to cause permanent brain damage if it happens.

If you can't persuade her to stop after two ODs, I don't think there's a lot you can do to avert harm. Maybe convince her to snort rather than IV and use a much smaller amount? This is in addition to the advice given above. The heroin cut with fent is killing a lot of people. If you hadn't been there when she fell out, she'd be one of those stats.

Honestly, you asked for advice and input so here it goes-
Your girlfriend, based on what you wrote, sounds like she has a serious problem and is either suicidal or seriously lacking in the common-sense department. Two overdoses within a few weeks time, and she still wants to keep doing it. The weird part is that your post sounds like she is giving you the decision to make, which I doubt she will adhere to if you were to say No. If she wants to do it, which I fully believe she does, she's gonna do it.

With that said, it sounds like you have a brain and enough good sense to not have shot up and not have an active heroin addiction yourself. Good for you, really. Do you want to keep it that way? Get as far away from this girl as possible. You aren't going to fix her, you won't change her, at the very best you'll waste God knows how much time being in a relationship with someone who's significant other is heroin. You don't want that for yourself, you can do better!

I lived through more than one overdose, thanks to kind people and the fact that they somehow found me. I usually shot up alone. Back in the mid-80's, I bought 15 bags of what I thought was heroin. Yeah, the same people (a gang) usually had good heroin (if you could call it that.) I went to a motel and sniffed ONE BAG. I came to about 5 hours later with compartment syndrome. I had no idea what it was and forced my bent right leg back to straight. It took about two days to do it. My entire quadriceps were black and I could barely walk.

Later, I got a call (a desperate one) to tell me that the heroin was laced with fentanyl. I was an experienced user at that time. Luckily for me needles were still illegal in my home state so I didn't have one. That was pure dumb luck or God looking out for me.

I really freaked about the whole thing and tossed 14 bags. I've never done that before. In my next detox, I met a guy in a wheelchair who needed many muscles cut out of his leg from compartment syndrome. You can do your best with Narcan and all that but this girl in on her way to the afterlife. I don't know what you can do but pray for your girl and refuse to be around heroin. It sounds harsh, but the only ass you can save (maybe) is your own. Only last April 2015 did I get on MMT. I will always want to get high; that will never change.

Between the 80's and now, however, I had more overdoses and served three prison sentences all related to drugs. I am so very tired and lucky to be alive. Michael

As I'm sure the above posters have suggested, have narcane on hand, make sure she's not one of those idiots that thinks she can do the same amount of heroin that she last did, also, it sounds like your on the east coast, probably get stamped bags, she should just cut one bag into a couple lines and start off with one, wait 30 minutes before dosing anymore, unless you have a scale this is probably the best way to. If you can acquire a scale that will measure out mg's or at least under a 100mg (I think those at the 1/1000 scales) then measure out 1/4 or 1/2 a bag. You can always do more, but you can't do less.

Yeah I have to agree that you need to say goodbye. Don't let her drag you down. Give her a choice you or dope. If she chooses dope atleast you won't go down with her. Trust me this is not a place you want to go. It may be too late for her but its not for you. If 2 OD's wasnt enough of a scare for her, I dont know what to tell you other than save yourself.