• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Legalization progress in the next 2 1/2 years (Canada, US and Mexico_

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
I'm not sure how many non Americans know this, but at least 3 (that I am aware of) jurisdictions are pursuing full legalization this November; Alaska (state), Oregon (state) and Washongton, DC (city). These are voter choices at the ballot box. There is a good possibility (my opinion) that all 3 will succeed.

Uruguay (country) has full countrywide legalization, although I've read a number of reports that indicate implementation of the proposed Cannabis delivery system is proving difficult. This might fail before it starts.

If Oregon goes legal I certainly see another voter choice for California in 2016 (don't think this one would fail).

In October, 2015 Canada has a federal election. That's 14 months out, and in order for full country wide legalization in Canada, there would have to be a Liberal majority government. Supposedly (it's part of their party platform) they will legalize, regulate and tax. I think this is 50/50 at best. If the Conservatives win another majority or minority government, it ain't gonna happen. If the Liberals win a minority it ain't gonna happen; they would need to win a majority government (168/335 seats in parliament).

Is there anywhere else in North America where legalization might happen in the nest 2-3 years? How likely is it to 'spread'? If California, Oregon and Washington (states) are all legal, what could stop a march of legalization east?

In Canada the dispensary scene is poor (unless you live in Toronto or BC in my opinion). Other than that, there is very little retail pot, and I shudder to think how we are going to fuck it up. Most likely through disgustingly high taxes (weight based and strength based). Possibly it will be left to provincial alcohol bureaus.

Is legalization on the table for Mexico city?

Tom

Last edited:
Weed might as well be legal here in CA. The doctors hand out weed cards for mosquito bites and the cops dont even give a shit anyway unless youre hauling pounds. I doubt we will legalize in 2016 seeing as how last time we couldnt stir up a majority and half of the potheads even are voting against (because if legal, prices will fall and the dealers and growers bottom line will fall). I see the conservative opinion holding out but Id love to be wrong. I dont even see anything changing if it were to be legalized, honestly, I dont see what would.

I dont know about Mexico City but like CA weed might as well be legal there. If you have personal amounts you wont be hassled and even a truckload could be forgiven if you pay off the officer. Overall I dont see legalization moving full steam ahead because WA and CO legalized, at least not as soon as 2016. Im trying to be optomistic but also realistic.

I think any real victories here in the US would come if one of the states in the bible belt legalized, but that will probably be a cold day in hell (the rest would fall like dominoes). Good thread dude and sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Edit: I sorta skimmed and didnt see the first sentence (pothead!!!) but Oregon and Alaska would be 2 of the only states I could see passing. Southern Oregon is ridiculously cannabis friendly like northern CA and Alaska is known for some really lax attitudes and strong weed (Matanuska Thunderfuck anyone?) I dont know much about Washington DC personally but Id love to see it go down there. Smoke one for me boys Im on week 2 without it and Im jonesin... :shivers and scratches veins:

Last edited:
It may sound crazy, but I do think if DC legalizes after this round of voting, maryland will be the next one. Maryland, and the Baltimore area in particular has always had a very lax attitude for weed. I've been pulled over many times for weed with no consequence, and it was decriminalized a while ago. If you are driving while on the come down, and go to court with a "medical reason", 90% of the time they'll let you go. It's very lax, not as much as California or Oregon, but pretty much everyone in Maryland is down with the herb.

and not to stereotype at all, but I do believe the large percentage of african americans and disenfranchised white folk is what helps to contribute to the lax attitude towards weed.

here in the US southeast, i don't foresee legalization any time soon. there is still a lot of stigma against it, largely unfounded, but it's there. not even up for discussion in most cases. the conservative majority is still in control, and the majority of them are vehemently against it.

It was up or legalization this year in Rhode Island but unfortunately the bill wasn't voted on at all. It was put on the table until next year :(

If the Liberals win a minority it ain't gonna happen; they would need to win a majority government (168/335 seats in parliament).

I could see Liberals and NDP winning enough seats to form a majority coalition to legalize marijuana.

here in the US southeast, i don't foresee legalization any time soon. there is still a lot of stigma against it, largely unfounded, but it's there. not even up for discussion in most cases. the conservative majority is still in control, and the majority of them are vehemently against it.

let the christians die off or be converted by science and common sense, just another 2 or 3 generations from now should be good...fucking kentunky will legalize rec. pot by that point