Legalise it?

Harry Redknapp

Bluelighter
I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on legalising MDMA.
Would it bring regulation to a potentially dangerous activity, or would it "take all the fun out of it"
------------------
Don't judge me

I don't think it should be! To do so would imply that it was safe and approved and since the long-term effects are still unknown.....
Also, I'm sure if it was the government would slap a huge tax on it and it'd end up more expensive!
------------------
Everything begins with an "E"!

yeah, i agreee with you on the long term effects but the way i feel is that:
People are going to take ecstacy - legal or not. Ecstacy, despite all the great things, can be dangerous. People need to get information, and OK, there's plenty on the net, but a lot is rumours and stories, and besides, if it was legal then safe use could be actively promoted, which i think would be the overiding factor.
Despite the negaive's, the whole safety issue would be my primary concern.
Then again, isn't scoring half the fun of it.....
------------------
Don't judge me

Ah.. but in my view,... people are becoming more used to the fact that a massive drug culture exsists and that its not going away! You'll find that more and more help is becoming availible and that although there are no legally approved places to drop, more and more places are catering for the needs of us lot!!! I think its just dandy the way it is... !!!
------------------
Everything begins with an "E"!

Having read Liquidocean's posts on legalization of drugs in general, I think I second one of the points he and others emphasized--the WOD equals bread and butter to a lot of government employees. Face it--in an age with few serious enemies, Americans need something to pour billions into.
Also, I'm convinced now that the illegalization of drugs is less an issue of promoting public health than a program meant to keep the populace more manageable. Dozens of drugs have been made illegal without any research being done into their effects, positive or otherwise. This is looking more and more like a pissing contest with the "unsavory element" in society, native and foreign. To those in power, drug use is a pox on society, and druggies are the roaches in the kitchen--offensive to enlightened sensibility. So I don't think the WOD is really about drugs at all--it's about the struggle of perceived reason against "lowly" animal passions--like the human quest for pleasure. Western Civilization has spent the last 400 years striving for the conquest of reason over matter. This hasn't always been successful, but it's persistent, and it's going nowhere fast.
However, I'm not sure legalizing MDMA or other drugs would make everything better.
To get the effects Liquid talks about, we'd need a "reverse" WOD perhaps no less radical than the current one--re above paragraph.
I think that many, people have addictive personalities. That is, they can be easily hooked by certain experiences or substances.
If you think that you're not one of these, you probably just haven't hit the right button. Anyways--widespread availability of drugs would exacerbate this condition. Most people simply don't have the maturity and willpower to resist, or if they do, it's been beat down by a lifetime of indoctrination.
Who's to say that the responsible drug users wouldn't eventually look down on "mere junkies?" They do it now. If you dislike the slot of society labeled "alcoholics", just imagine two dozen more of those regarded with the same disdain. Not pretty.
Even if the drugs were legalized, it might not make much difference at all. I doubt drug use would ever become widespread in America given legality--it's radical nature
(the alteration of perception with powerful substances) would forever limit it to subculture status. There will just always be a small segment of society attracted by the lifestyle. End of story.
Any comments?

Hey, I'll go for legalized, standardised, high milligram, consitantly MDMA or MDMA/MDEA mix everytime...yu can say what you like, I'd love to have a corner store down the street selling something I could identify. Preferably 24 hours a day. Raving isnt in the parties, or the illegality, its in US.
------------------
"For goodness sakes, would you look at those cakes?"

I agree with Beli. This whole country is run by money, not "what's right". There's way more money in keeping illicit drugs illegal than in making them legal.
Although, obviously people are going to keep doing the drugs either way. I mean, really, should Pot be illegal??? Gimme a break. Alcohol and cigarettes are so much more damaging and they're legal?
Why? The government can actually *see* the money. Ohhhh ... don't get me started. Next thing you know I'll be telling you about the goverment funded nuclear testing that occurred without American citizens' knowledge (on those very citizens). Oh, shit! See there ... I just told ya'll about it. Sorry.
TimeTwister

Well, i'll tell you what i saw the other day while i was surfing round the net:
the criteria for a schedule 1 drug in USA is
1) It has a high potential for abuse
2) No medical or research value
3) something else i can't remember
smile.gif

Is it just me, or does alcohol fit this bill perfectly? Yet it is singularly unrestricted to the 18+ (21 someplaces) age group. To me this seems a thoroughly inconsistent approach! If they say that the reason they ban e is cause it may or may not be neurotoxic there are analogues of it that don't. IMO they just don't want a populace that's happy - then the government wouldn't have any power coz noone would give a shit about all the "big issues" coz they'd be more friendly to each other (hopefully
smile.gif

I do agree though that legalisation would be a bloody nightmare, but just like alcohol, people would become more responsible, especially with more exposure and a reliable product
smile.gif

------------------
-------------------------
Awareness is a state of mind that most people choose not to be aware of

I'm suprised that nobody addressed this issue: Shouldn't we have the right to decide what goes into OUR bodies. As long as it effects no one else, I think so.

I say legalise as then I could know what I am buying. I am getting a little sick of paying $35 - $40 for speed and shit instead of MDMA! I just want the real thing! Can't see it's any different than drinking booze.

Remove the tabo? never...
I can't even begin to imagine what would happen were e legalised... WOD aside...
I hate to sound like an eletest (sp) snob (oh who am I kidding, I AM one) but doing e is what sets US (the people who do e) apart from "them" (the people who don't)... frankly, I don't WANT many of "them" discovering this thing, this beautiful and wonderful experience that is e.
it's not for everyone... it's not a pack of cigarettes, it's not a Gin and Tonic (mmmm gin....). E is something VERY different, and special. To legalize it would be like... for once I can't even come up with a metaphore that even seems apropriate...
suffice it to say, that I like things the way they are now. Sure, more controls, or precautions co9uld be take in the "manufacture" of this stuff... but it's all part and parcel of the whole genie gig... (whoops, I slipped)
I'll curtail my endless ramblings now...
------------------
"Like a shooting star,
Accross the midnight sky!
Wherever you are,
Yer gunna see me FLY!!"
-BANG!
PaRaDoX -and PLUR for all!

Legalize it and make it standardized and safe(r) for consumtion?
That would be considered an intelligent, productive, logical thing to do - a concept that the government simply does not have the capacity to understand.
Money runs the world? sure. That doesn't mean that they can't find other, better ways of spending govenment money. All they need to do is think a little and a better solution will come up. But they are used to the way things are and they are afraid of change.
Oh, well...
------------------
P L U R