View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Legal Prescription Psychedelics?

ParappaTheRapper

Ex-Bluelighter
What do you think the year will be when prescription psycs are available? Why? How would it work, need a license?

I'm not sure when prescription psychs will be available, but I wish it'd be soon lol. In my opinion, once marijuana is finally legal on a federal level, the government will slowly start to be more lenient towards other drugs. I'm sure the interest with prescription psychedelics will also start picking up once more studies are available concerning the effects of psychs and their value in therapeutic environments. For it to work, I think one would need a mental evaluation from a doctor to make sure they don't have any latent psychological issues or any problems with psychedelics use. If one happens to pass the evaluation, they'd receive a license to be able to buy a multitude of different pharmaceutical grade psychedelics. For potentially dangerous psychs such as 25i, one would have to sign a waiver releasing the vendor from any potential issues regarding its use. I'm just stoned and thinking idealistically so take that as you will

I agree completely. The push to legalise cannabis has gained such momentum in recent years that there is already some focus towards legalising Psychedelics.

http://www.psychedelicsociety.org.uk/arguments-for-legalisation

As for a law change, I fail to see why Psychedelics could not be sold alongside alcohol, readily available to pretty much anyone who wants them. But I would prefer we restricted the legal recreational drugs further before adding any more subtsances to the list of available products. As such I see the Road, & the clear-web RC scene as an excellent blue-print for legalised drugs sales. A decade or so ago I envisaged a future "Psychonaut Passport", you would apply to "travel" in the head as you do to travel on earth at present. Now however I envisage a government website where you would register your interest, perhaps fill in a questionaire & pay with a credit card. Then you would recieve your product through the mail just as many of us do now.

The thread title made me chuckle out loud, respectfully. The answer is, not soon enough. Realistically speaking, I would be surprised if it happened within 50 years. Probably 100 is more like it.

If they were to have psychedelics for perscription, it would probably be MDMA/MMDA (not sure difference besides potency, but I thought i read MMDA was non neurotoxic) for PTSD or a psychedelic along the lines of LSD or Psilocin for end of life anxiety and psychedelic therapy (although a 12 hours therapy sesh is a bit long).

I think that the way in which psychedelics will first become legitimate for medical use is not by prescription but for use under guided therapy as a one-off or short series of experiences. I can't see them prescribing LSD to take as-needed, but I do believe that it's not as far off as it might feel where professionals will be dosing people with LSD for guided therapy purposes.

Prescription drugs are the most abused drugs on the planet. As if this site, probably the most reasonable drug forum on the net, wasn't evidence enough that people aren't ready for psychedelic use (using multiple times a week, combining recklessly, etc.), prescription psychedelics would lead to another disaster. What would they be prescribed for, and, furthermore, who would decide their applicability? The results of psychonautical research are not yet far enough along to support prescription for any given condition, particularly in view of the psychological dangers inherent in their use. I used to believe that access to psychedelic drugs was something of a right, like being able to buy alcohol when you're of age, but no longer. It is a privilege that even many or most on this site do not deserve, quite frankly.

Psychedelics should be available only to serious psychonautical researchers and their use in recreational activities should be more or less abolished. The psychonaut must demonstrate a proficiency in the relevant areas of chemistry, neuroscience, phenomenology, philosophy, psychology, theology, cognitive science, and one or more mystical traditions. Even this does not guarantee a mind subtle enough to make the relevant distinctions and slowly draw supported conclusions on the basis of originarily intuitable metastabilities and the symbolic codifications that are correlated with these.

The idea of big business psychedelics signifies the final loss of the originary meaning of the discovery and history of the healing and mind-expanding powers of entheogenic compounds. This movement has already been initiated in the one-sided methods of studying psychedelics in an "official" capacity as the business of isolated sciences, each with its own methods, goals, and assumptions.

EDIT: sorry, I should have made clear that I meant psychedelics should only be made available in an official/legal capacity to said researchers. i still think there is value in a countercultural presence of festivals celebrating psychedelic drug use, much in the tradition of the Eleusinian mysteries and the shamanic traditions. These, too, have the capacity to help us return back and inquire into the originary meaning of the psychedelic experience.

Last edited:
While I agree that many people are not ready for psychedelic use, I think your qualifications are almost ridiculously strict. Psychedelics are tools like anything else. I think it's a mistake to force them into a specific idea, for example, that you must follow a mystical tradition with them. For some people they aren't even a mystical thing. For me they are, but that doesn't mean that if someone doesn't experience that, they're wrong. I will agree that there are some people (many people) who use them destructively, and I would call that the wrong way simply because using any drug destructively is the wrong way to use them due to the personal damage it causes, but there are also many "right ways" to use them, as many ways as there are individuals. Psychedelics are a personal experience and to try to force everyone to experience them in the same way is not only impossible, but I believe quite wrong.

Also are you saying that if someone doesn't have proficiency in the chemistry of psychedelics and the neuroscience behind them, they are unable to use them responsibly and derive meaning from the experience? I have taught myself a crash course in these topics as a result of my years of participation in discussions on Bluelight, but my first trip I took when I was 18, before I knew anything about any of this and was starkly atheist and nihilistic. My first trip blew my mind wide open and changed my life forever; it led me to a path of spirituality and love. You'd be hard-pressed to tell me I was using those mushrooms the wrong way, even though I didn't know anything about the topics you listed as qualifications, because the result of 100% life-changing in a positive direction. And I just ate them in a dorm room with friends who were all just looking to get fucked up. I was looking to just see what would happen myself. You can't quantify the psychedelic experience like that, it's different for everyone, and so are the proper circumstances to take them.

Prohibition isn't the way, it never is. I strongly disagree with the idea that recreational use should be abolished, as you said earlier in your post. I can't tell if your later edit contradicts your earlier post, or I am just having trouble understanding your point in it. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to eliminate irresponsible and destructive use of drugs, but further prohibition is not going to help this matter. The best we can do is educate people, and remove the illegality mystique that often causes people too young to be using to use them out of rebellion.

Last edited:
Prescription drugs are the most abused drugs on the planet. As if this site, probably the most reasonable drug forum on the net, wasn't evidence enough that people aren't ready for psychedelic use (using multiple times a week, combining recklessly, etc.), prescription psychedelics would lead to another disaster. What would they be prescribed for, and, furthermore, who would decide their applicability? The results of psychonautical research are not yet far enough along to support prescription for any given condition, particularly in view of the psychological dangers inherent in their use. I used to believe that access to psychedelic drugs was something of a right, like being able to buy alcohol when you're of age, but no longer. It is a privilege that even many or most on this site do not deserve, quite frankly.

Psychedelics should be available only to serious psychonautical researchers and their use in recreational activities should be more or less abolished. The psychonaut must demonstrate a proficiency in the relevant areas of chemistry, neuroscience, phenomenology, philosophy, psychology, theology, cognitive science, and one or more mystical traditions. Even this does not guarantee a mind subtle enough to make the relevant distinctions and slowly draw supported conclusions on the basis of originarily intuitable metastabilities and the symbolic codifications that are correlated with these.

The idea of big business psychedelics signifies the final loss of the originary meaning of the discovery and history of the healing and mind-expanding powers of entheogenic compounds. This movement has already been initiated in the one-sided methods of studying psychedelics in an "official" capacity as the business of isolated sciences, each with its own methods, goals, and assumptions.

EDIT: sorry, I should have made clear that I meant psychedelics should only be made available in an official/legal capacity to said researchers. i still think there is value in a countercultural presence of festivals celebrating psychedelic drug use, much in the tradition of the Eleusinian mysteries and the shamanic traditions. These, too, have the capacity to help us return back and inquire into the originary meaning of the psychedelic experience.

I also disagree, this would prevent many people from experiencing psychs and have it "show them the light" or point them in the right direction, these are the people that need them most, not really people that have 7 PhDs and have already transcended nirvana and become enlightened as you say.

I think that the way in which psychedelics will first become legitimate for medical use is not by prescription but for use under guided therapy as a one-off or short series of experiences. I can't see them prescribing LSD to take as-needed, but I do believe that it's not as far off as it might feel where professionals will be dosing people with LSD for guided therapy purposes.

This is more or less where psychedelics were at prior to prohibition. As an extension of this, it will get to a point where those who have had guided psychedelic therapy and are deemed fit for their use will be able to obtain psychedelics for themselves to do with as they please. Naturally it would be handed out in pre-prepared doses and in limited quantities at a time.

As for the topic at hand, the very notion of a prescription psychedelic does not make a whole lot of sense to me unless psychedelics have been proven to have a pharmacological use. While I think many believe that psychedelics can have medicinal purposes, nothing as of yet has been researched, primarily due to prohibition. It's kind of a chicken or the egg sort of thing. As such, part of me believes that psychedelics will have to be all or nothing. The trouble with psychedelics is that guided sessions are not always the most effective or even useful approach to their use. Sometimes you just have to dive right in not knowing what you are getting into, such is the nature of hallucinogens.