• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Legal nightmare for man as drug driving test returns positive for drug he's never use

poledriver

Bluelighter
Legal nightmare for man as drug driving test returns positive for drug he's never used

I have no trust whatsoever in the police any more.

When Steve Hunt was pulled over for a routine roadside drug test on his way home from work, he thought everything would be fine.
He was wrong.

That one test triggered a nightmare scenario in which he was repeatedly misdiagnosed as having methamphetamine - a drug he has never touched - in his system by police and NSW Health tests.
The case triggered NSW Health to begin double-testing samples, but that was too late for Mr Hunt, who was forced to pull $5000 out of his home loan to fight for his innocence. Losing his licence would mean he couldn't work.
Advertisement

The state government is planning a massive roll-out of the same drug-driving tests that misdiagnosed Mr Hunt, with 100,000 NSW drivers expected to be tested - and it's not to identify those under the influence of drugs (a different offence) but simply whether they have the "presence" of drugs in their systems.
Police admit there is no lower limit used for the amount of drugs detected.

"The first moment I realised something was wrong was when the policeman came back to me and said 'I think we are going to have a problem here'," Mr Hunt said.
The test had detected methamphetamine in his saliva. He was arrested and taken to a portable testing station, where a second test was negative. A further sample was sent to NSW Health pathology. Two weeks later he got the result: positive.
"I had been sitting there going to my wife 'no, no, no, this won't come back positive'," he said. "I have never taken drugs in my life."

Mr Hunt's lawyers demanded the sample be retested. The same NSW Health lab, testing the same sample, got a negative result. A further test was also negative, and in court police did not present evidence, and the case was dismissed.
"I have no trust whatsoever in the police any more," Mr Hunt said. "If it can go wrong once, it can go wrong again, and I don't want to lose another five grand."

Fairfax Media has also spoken to a woman, who did not want to be named, who had marijuana detected despite never having used the drug. She also had a positive, then negative, then positive result, but was never told she could get it retested.
Greens MP and justice spokesman David Shoebridge said the roadside drug testing was a "lottery".

"The problem is the police are testing for tiny trace elements of drugs and this makes the results inherently unreliable," Mr Shoebridge said. "Steve was just minding his own business … and he had his life turned upside down by a plainly stupid law. It's awful what has happened to him, how much it has cost, and we know he is not alone."

Mr Shoebridge said it was extremely difficult to get legal costs back from the government, but he had written to the Police Minister to suggest Mr Hunt be given an ex-gratia payment.
"It's time to scrap the failed roadside testing regime and put in place a rational program that tests for impairment, and tests for every drug, not just a handful of illegal drugs," Mr Shoebridge said.
NSW Police maintain the tests are an important deterrence tool in preventing road accidents caused by impaired drivers, which are implicated in 14 per cent of road fatalities. One in 10 tests this year returned a positive result, compared with one in 300 alcohol tests.

Sharon Neville, the acting director of the NSW Health Forensic and Analytical Science Service (FASS), said that since roadside drug testing was introduced in 2007 it had tested more than 14,000 samples, and Mr Hunt's case was the only error it was aware of.

"The initial incorrect result reported by FASS was due to a manual handling error," she said. "Additional measures and quality control steps were implemented as a result of this case, with all samples now being analysed twice before reporting. These steps ensure tighter controls on manual handling and all other parts of the process."
She said the screening tests conducted by NSW Police had different sensitivities to the "comprehensive" testing equipment used by FASS.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/h...-for-drug-hes-never-used-20151111-gkww9b.html

IIRC they considered and scrapped this idea in Canada because of the cost and unreliability of the test. I bet Aussie taxpayers are footing a fat bill for all this testing.

Drug tests have just gone mad. Here in Europe they'll take you the driving license away when you have traces of THC metabolic products in your bloodstream or urine from smoking some joints weeks ago.

In Germany they use now 'pupillometer' devices that measure the reaction of your pupil to light. Even professors said this doesn't work that way, and certainly things like antidepressants / stress / anxiety cause distortions in pupil reaction too. Nevertheless they use these devices now. Each one costs more than 10.000$!!

They also have swipe devices now to check whether the sweat on your steerwheel contains some traces of psychoactives. 8)
I really don't condone driving while high, every accident is one too much. But every ruined life counts too.

I never made any accident by the way, despite the endless wisdom of youth combined with dissociatives. They took my license away because of prescriptions and possibility of personality traits.

Yeah, its becoming a fucking witch-hunt to arbitrarily search your saliva/perspiration etc - or test your pupil size (i'd not heard of that, sounds very medically unsound).
The war on drugs is absolutely insane.
While i don't have a problem with laws stopping people from driving whilst impaired, the immediate adoption of new technology by police to determine what chemicals our bodies have metabolised needs to be reigned in; but as few people are prepared to stand up against the prevailing anti-drug user othodoxies, we are probably just going to watch this get worse.
It seems that these technologies are still experiencing a lot of teething problems, and are really unreliable.
We are hearing of false positives in the press, and i've heard anecdotal evidence of false negatives as well.

These 'teething problems' are having major impacts on people's lives. They shouldn't be testing these things on the public, without knowing what the implications are.
We are getting into territory like some of the more obsessively anti-drug-user countries, where people can be drug tested at random and charged with 'possession' or 'internal possession' for simply testing postive to something illegal.

Yet people in positions of influence aren't prepared to stick their necks out in support of drug users' civil rights, because people with drugs in their systems are considered fair game by the state. Criminals.
Question this, and run the risk of being negatively associated with drugs forever more. How many times to we hear politicians labelled "soft on drugs"? Or championinf their credentials at being "tough on drugs"?

The war on drugs never was - and never will be - what it claims to be.
One cannot wage war on an inanimate object.
The war on drugs is a war on people. Ostensibly, drug using people, but realistically - people that don't use drugs within the strict confines of what has become politically, socially and economically acceptable.
Booze, tobacco and prescribed pharmaceuticals are ok. Anything else and you're liable to be persecuted by any means the establishment had at their disposal.

What a fucked-up, dystopian situation we now find ourselves in.

Drug tests have just gone mad. Here in Europe they'll take you the driving license away when you have traces of THC metabolic products in your bloodstream or urine from smoking some joints weeks ago.

In Germany they use now 'pupillometer' devices that measure the reaction of your pupil to light. Even professors said this doesn't work that way, and certainly things like antidepressants / stress / anxiety cause distortions in pupil reaction too. Nevertheless they use these devices now. Each one costs more than 10.000$!!

They also have swipe devices now to check whether the sweat on your steerwheel contains some traces of psychoactives. 8)
I really don't condone driving while high, every accident is one too much. But every ruined life counts too.

I never made any accident by the way, despite the endless wisdom of youth combined with dissociatives. They took my license away because of prescriptions and possibility of personality traits.
pupillometer, for real? oh deutschland...

Well it does look pretty cool, like super glasses from the future's future... Wonder how much they weight...

This is so disheartening. Being in the legal system in any manner sucks. It is expensive and once your reputation is tarnished (charged, not prosecuted or convicted) it is damn near impossible to get a fair shake if you end up in the media.