• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Legal advice for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearcub97

Greenlighter
Need input for a close friend of my girlfriend’s, who’s in a pretty complicated bind. Under a throwaway account using a brand new email, she made a reddit post in a confesssions related subreddit about having purchased adderall without a prescription as an “all else fails” measure to control her narcolepsy which was jeopardizing her studies/employment, and law enforcement connected her to the post via tracking her IP address, and she’s being threatened with charges for it. Her IP is being tracked because a few months back she filed a rape report, and the detective assigned to look into her case was never took her seriously and after talking to her rapist was totally convinced by his version of events and refused to prosecute, and she thought the matter was concluded until she was notified about the IP track when they saw her post. Her doctor is pretty much certain that she is narcoleptic but the process required to officially diagnose narcolepsy is fairly extensive and due to the slow-turning gears of medical bureaucracy, she has been enduring her symptoms unmedicated for months while she waits to have the proper tests done. She also has had an ADD diagnosis for a long time but hadn’t been seeking medication for it, so she asked her psychiatrist if she could try medicating her ADD (hoping to kill two birds with one stone since there’s a great deal of overlap between common medications for ADD and Narcolepsy) only to have her psychiatrist say that since she’s in the process of being diagnosed with narcolepsy it would be simpler to get a stimulant for her narcolepsy and thereby address both issues. To help her get by in the meantime, she bought a pretty small quantity of adderall and her post about it is supposedly being used to prosecute her for a drug offense. What can she do from a legal standpoint to avoid a sentence, or minimize the sentence if it’s not avoidable? Specifically, could it be considered unlawful search and seizure to trace her computer without her knowledge or is an unprosecuted rape accusation sufficient probable cause to surveil the plaintiff? Is one reddit post likely to be enough evidence to convict her? And if she IS convicted, what sort of sentence might she end up with? (It would be a first offense). Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

We don't normally allow legal discussion.

But I'm feeling talkative, so here's some advice.
1. Posting that yoi bought drugs is stupid.
2. IP addresses are not people, the police would need to have conclusive proof that the person in questiom was the one posting. That'a hard to prove - maybe she let someone else post that?
3. You can post anything on reddit, it doesn't make for hard evidence. Claiming you buy/sell/posess drugs is not illegal, listen to modern rap music for proof.
3b. Unless they have probable cause and actually catch her in posession of the Adderall she can't be charged for anything.
4. If this was a serious imvestigation, the police would never notify the suspect. It just gives them advanced notice and the opportunity to destroy or conceal evidence. Even if they did contact her, it would be through official phone calls or registered mail. And you should be able to look up the number of the police in question (don't believe any numbers provided in e-mail or Reddit PM or whatever) and comfirm it with the detective who supposedly contacted you. I've heard of scams where people provide their own phones and claim to be police...) It sounds like aomeone'a trolling her rather than a real inveatigation.

My advice: deny everything, ditch the Adderall or have someone trusted take it off , and make sure to exercise your right to remain silent. There is no good reason to talk to cops unless you legally have to, after being detained.

Really sorry to hear about your friend's predicament Bearcub. As said we no longer permit legal advice/discussion at BL for a number of reasons, so I'll have to close this. But I do hope things turn out well. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.