• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Led Zepp and the likes

Yeah i know where you're coming from. Led zep are amazing, pioneering legends. their music along with other bands inspired me to start playing the guitar

Just the beatles or chili peppers evey? Lol. are they the only bands you like

Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks

RHCP are fuckin awesome! I'd love to see them, I bet they were fantastic. When did you go?

[video=youtube_share;mi7EHa4DSro]http://youtu.be/mi7EHa4DSro[/video]
Someone should steal...i mean, "cover" this. ;)

C'mon man, its no secret that all the best rock bands were heavily influenced by the old blues men and started off doing covers or even blatent ripoffs of their stuff. Doesn't make their music any less valid though..

I saw RHCP at the Astoria in about '89. They we're touring the release of Mother's Milk. One of the greatest nights of my life. I've still got the T shirt.

I saw RHCP at the Astoria in about '89. They we're touring the release of Mother's Milk. One of the greatest nights of my life. I've still got the T shirt.

Saw them in 2004 in Phoenix Park, Dublin. It went on from 2 pm to 2 am with supporting acts like Groove Amarda, The Pixies, Hot House Flowers n The Thrills. Was absolutely ace; one of best days of my life - loved it sooooo much that when I came from Dublin I bought tickets from eBay from the following Friday at Manchester city stadium.

I must say its better watching a live band standing up than sitting down :)

Evey

C'mon man, its no secret that all the best rock bands were heavily influenced by the old blues men and started off doing covers or even blatent ripoffs of their stuff. Doesn't make their music any less valid though..
I'm aware of that, but the difference with led zep is that they took songwriting credits for these songs, and made lots of money from it (i'm sorry to come across like i'm shitting on this thread - but i find it interesting).

The stones, the animals, the yardbirds, the kinks, the beatles - whoever - played songs by american r'n'b acts, but they didnt claim to have written them, they gave the songwriters their fair dues (and royalties).

Which might sound be a bit "so what" - until you take into account that most of the blues artists in question worked their arses off touring the chitlin circuit or whatever, and never made money. Lots of them lived and died in abject poverty, or doing manual labour, while a bunch of white rock stars nicked their songs and became mega rich.

Influence is one thing - i'm not talking about "white people stealing black culture" or some cultural appropriation rant.
Frankly that's a whole different discussion, and not what i'm referring to.

The thing with led zeppelin though is that they literally plagiarised other people's work, and claimed it as their own.
Songwriting credits, royalties, etc etc.

Covers are a different story - you record them and disclose the songwriter's name(s). Then the songwrite(s) get royalties.
Look at a Beatles or Stones record and the Chuck Berry/Bo Diddley/Buddy Holly numbers are acknowledged as such.
Led Zeppelin managed to get away with a lot because they used obscure songs by people who didn't have the wealth or record industry backing to legally challenge them.

Or in the case of the intro to "Stairway to Heaven" well, i don't know how they got away with that, but it bears a striking resemblance to another song. Maybe i'm a pedant, but it has totally spoiled their music for me.
Sorry.
I'm a killjoy. I'll shut up now, and piss off back to NEMD. <3

Nah Spacejunk it's ok to give your opinion n if it's true then I agree that it's wrong. If a person / band wishes to copy another's work they should acknowledge this in the credits. I don't agree with plagerism especially as people work hard to write their work - a lot write from their own personal experiences like Kiedis did.

Evey

I'm aware of that, but the difference with led zep is that they took songwriting credits for these songs, and made lots of money from it (i'm sorry to come across like i'm shitting on this thread - but i find it interesting).

The stones, the animals, the yardbirds, the kinks, the beatles - whoever - played songs by american r'n'b acts, but they didnt claim to have written them, they gave the songwriters their fair dues (and royalties).

Which might sound be a bit "so what" - until you take into account that most of the blues artists in question worked their arses off touring the chitlin circuit or whatever, and never made money. Lots of them lived and died in abject poverty, or doing manual labour, while a bunch of white rock stars nicked their songs and became mega rich.

Influence is one thing - i'm not talking about "white people stealing black culture" or some cultural appropriation rant.
Frankly that's a whole different discussion, and not what i'm referring to.

The thing with led zeppelin though is that they literally plagiarised other people's work, and claimed it as their own.
Songwriting credits, royalties, etc etc.

Covers are a different story - you record them and disclose the songwriter's name(s). Then the songwrite(s) get royalties.
Look at a Beatles or Stones record and the Chuck Berry/Bo Diddley/Buddy Holly numbers are acknowledged as such.
Led Zeppelin managed to get away with a lot because they used obscure songs by people who didn't have the wealth or record industry backing to legally challenge them.

Or in the case of the intro to "Stairway to Heaven" well, i don't know how they got away with that, but it bears a striking resemblance to another song. Maybe i'm a pedant, but it has totally spoiled their music for me.
Sorry.
I'm a killjoy. I'll shut up now, and piss off back to NEMD. <3

No, you've a totally valid point and I agree. But they did do some bloody good shit (as well as some bloody shit).

Bit more complex than that tho spacejunk - blues musicians themselves robbed and plagarised tunes and lyrics in practically everything they did. So when Willie Dixon said "Squeeze my lemon" he was ripping it off Robert Johnson who ripped it off Son House who ripped it off Charley Patton who ripped it off Blind Lemon Jefferson.

Who gets the money when the tune can be traced back through a dozen different eras?

I suppose Willie Dixon was sharp enough to register all the songs he ripped off as his so maybe he should get some money.

Anyway, I have came to the conclusion that if somebody doesn't like the music of Led Zeppelin there must be something actually wrong with their brain.
absolutely. screw anybody who has a different preference to you. imagine! the idea that somebody might not like something you like! the nerve.

:\

alasdair

Aye, I'm wasted in Tenerife. But aye, FUBAR is correct, all the cunts were plagiarising the blues. Led Zeppelin did it well. Go at listen to 'friends' and I bet you spunk in your kegs.

On another note, any cunt like a VangeliS?

I was going to start another thread called 'drunk tattoos' but couldn't work out how to do it in the phone while drunk. How do you add a pic, I have one of an anchor.