Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Leaping Lizards! Crouching Prequel!

L2R

Bluelight Crew
Ang Lee Preps "Crouching" Prequel
Ang Lee will start making a prequel to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" this summer in Yunnan Province of southwestern China reports news outlet China View.

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", which was based on part four of Crane-Iron Pentalogy, is China's first blockbuster to win 4 Oscars in 2001, including Best Cinematography, Best Foreign Film, Best Art Direction and Best Song.

The prequel is about the story of young Li Mubai and young Yu Xiulian, played by Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh in Crouching "Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

This excites me. They've been talking about making more of the 5 part series since CTHD was released. I have no idea how the other 4 parts can have stories anywhere near as good as the brilliant CTHD.

it will be cool with the effects again... but with some many other movies following suit with the spacial jumping and so on will it survive and be interesting through all 5 parts of the story? i dont think theres a good chance of it going on that long. perhaps they will combind some of the parts into one sequal or something to keep it moving along swiftly within the three second attention span of audiences (mainly speaking of american audiences here). i dont think many movies/book based movies could go on much longer than the harry potter series or lord of the rings has

see you en tee 's

Burn Hollywood Burn I smell a riot going on....

According to a report by Beijing Youth Daily, producer Bill Kong has already given up the idea of making a prequel to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", Ang Lee's worldwide smash hit fantasy epic.

Kong spent the past few months talking to several Hollywood studios, including Sony Pictures the co-financer of the original film, and failed to bring any one of them into the prequel project.

The prequel would tell the story of the early years of Li Mu Bai and Yui Hsui Lien, played by Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Zhang Ziyi's character would not be in the prequel and some say this was probably the major factor kept Hollywood studios away from the project.

Hmmmm, if it's as good or better then house of flying daggers I will definitly be there. That said, something about the love story of CTHD just rubbed me the wrong way. I just didn't enjoy the film all that much (other then the first time I saw it, perhaps the second as well but due solely to the amazing martial arts and not the plot.)

However, I absolutly *LOVED* the story of The House of Flying Daggers. It was heartwrenching and most of all, I could empathize with the characters, for me, that is a KEY ingredient in character development and really made the movie all that much better then CTHD. They both had amazing martial arts and plot, but the characters are what really set them apart.

So... I'll give it a shot...

Last edited:
CTHD was far better than HOFD. A much more heartfelt story, and superior performances, especially from Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh. Zhang Ziyi is a pretty face, and not quite as credible an actress as the more mature leads.

CTHD also had a brilliant ending, HOFD did not resolve itself with as much grace and poignancy.

Bring on a prequel, but not from Hollywood, 'they' manage to screw up most everthing 'they' touch. :)

it's moving ahead again! :D
The sequel to Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" continues moving forward at The Weinstein Company with news today of a returning star.

Zhang Ziyi is reportedly in talks to return as Jen Yu in flashback sequences for the next film in which the story centers on Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh). Donnie Yen is also onboard as Silent Wolf.

Entitled "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon — The Green Destiny," the script is by John Fusco ("The Forbidden Kingdom," "Hidalgo") based on "Silver Vase, Iron Knight," the fifth book in the Crane Iron Pentalogy".

Wo Ping Yuen has taken over the director's chair on the project which begins filming next March.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/28274/zhang-ziyi-returns-for-crouching-tiger-2