Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Laying my own 5-meo-mipt blotters

Kaasje

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I recently obtained some 5-meo-mipt, which I had a lot of fun with already. :)
My problem is the dosage. The last few times I just scaled it, but that isn't accurate enough for me. (I usually dose between 5-15mg) Normally, I would do liquid measurement, because that's just the most accurate way to dose chemicals like this, but always carrying the liquid isn't that handy when I go somewhere.

So, now I'm going to make my own 5-meo-mipt blotters. I know it sounds difficult, but I like to do it and it's only for myself so there isn't much danger. I already made my own blotterpaper from watercolorpaper (300g/m) with very clearly "5-meo-mipt" printed on every square, so nobody can think it's acid or something else. The squares are also slightly bigger (1,5X1,5cm) than normal blotters, because I want 5mg to fit on one blotter.

I calculated that a square of 9X9cm (36 blotters) could hold approximately 3ml of methanol. So If I dissolve 180mg in 3ml, I should have exactly 5mg on one blotter, that would be perfect. But, now comes the problem, I read somewhere online that the maximal solubility of 5-meo-mipt in methanol is only around 30mg/ml.
If that's true, I could make only a solution of max 90mg/3ml, so my blotters would only contain 2,5mg each.
I haven't tested the solubility yet because I wanted to hear your opinions first. Does anybody know something about the max solubility of 5-meo-mipt in methanol?

If I only could lay 2,5mg on a blotter, would it be possible to lay it once, dry, and then just lay it a second time in another solution of 90mg/3ml? Would I get a blotter of 5mg then?

Please give your opinion! :)

It's been a long time since I tried putting 5-meo-mipt into a solution more concentrated than the beverage in in my hand... but I do remember solubility being a pain with that one. First of all, make sure to grind it up ahead of time--if you see little hard clump, be aware that they'll stay around in solution as well (though IME 4-aco-MET has been the worst clumper, with allylescaline falling behind it... though all of this is just as likely to be due to differences in deterioraration/strorage condition as they are to inherent differences between the molecules.

Why, exactly, did you choose methanol as your solvent? Is it just because it's what you have on hand? The fumarate salt is bulky and weakly polar, so you're never going to get the kind of concentrations with a fumarate as you would with a hydrochloride.
FYI: N,N-DMT fumarate is only soluble to 5mg/ml in methanol (though it's a substantially different molecule, I know). There's no solubility data on 5-meo-mipt fumarate, but the freebase is insoluble in polar solvents, and the hydrochloride is supposedly soluble to 30mg/ml in methanol--though I've only seen stock solution sold at 1mg/ml--either way it's a far cry from the concentration you were aiming for.

IMO, given the doses you're intending on taking, blotter would be fairly impractical anyways. I know it's a pain to individually weigh and cap each dose, but you could, for example, dissolve your material in a (much larger) volume of solvent, then pipette the solution onto individual substrates (ie. if you use blotter this way, you must cut it in advance and dose each tab separately, otherwise, you risk uneven distribution)---to pack into capsules. Or you could use portions of this more dilute solution to lay several weak sheets of blotter, and then pack the tabs into capsules, according to whatever dosing scheme you prefer.

You could also bulk it out with a cut (so long as you find one with similar molecular weight), by adding solution dropwise to a thin (but sufficiently thick to absorb without saturation) layer of your chosen cut, as if you were (unsafely) pipetting onto blotter, then mixing very throughly, folding an equal amount of fresh cut, mixing again, etc. I would never feel totally comfortable with the consistency of this method, but it's worked for people before using it to dilute NBOMES for snorting.

Spreading it over 2 times should work, but before you try that have you attempted getting an exact volume of solvent / liquid (plain methanol in this case) to be absorbed by the paper so that it is applied evenly?

Because that is very challenging, normally multiple stacks of paper are used to avoid this problem because it acts way better as a sponge. With just one layer it is much too easy to soak one part and leave other corners dry etc. Even if it looks good it should be tested properly by weighing squares from the middle and the corners to see if the same weight is absorbed.

Other professional solutions could be a pipetting array that can apply drops of solution over a 'grid', and one can also separate the squares and apply a drop by GCMS micropipet but even that is a little messy.

For these reasons it is recommended that you don't lay your own blotter.

I agree that you would have to customize the process to for example fit a carrier of a dose into capsules each.

Also surely there must be better solvents? Acetone for the freebase or a much more non-polar solvent?

The above suggestion to apply NBOMe's to solid carrier for easy weighing and snorting is unsafe unless you make a batch so small (say <10 doses) that you can afford pretty big "hotpockets" i.e. afford very bad mixing. You need to have that guarantee because solid substances don't always mix that well especially if you have to "dilute" such a potent powder in another powder.

Last edited:
Spreading it over 2 times should work, but before you try that have you attempted getting an exact volume of solvent / liquid (plain methanol in this case) to be absorbed by the paper so that it is applied evenly?

Because that is very challenging, normally multiple stacks of paper are used to avoid this problem because it acts way better as a sponge. With just one layer it is much too easy to soak one part and leave other corners dry etc. Even if it looks good it should be tested properly by weighing squares from the middle and the corners to see if the same weight is absorbed.

Other professional solutions could be a pipetting array that can apply drops of solution over a 'grid', and one can also separate the squares and apply a drop by GCMS micropipet but even that is a little messy.

For these reasons it is recommended that you don't lay your own blotter.

I agree that you would have to customize the process to for example fit a carrier of a dose into capsules each.

Also surely there must be better solvents? Acetone for the freebase or a much more non-polar solvent?

The above suggestion to apply NBOMe's to solid carrier for easy weighing and snorting is unsafe unless you make a batch so small (say <10 doses) that you can afford pretty big "hotpockets" i.e. afford very bad mixing. You need to have that guarantee because solid substances don't always mix that well especially if you have to "dilute" such a potent powder in another powder.
Acetone or another nonpolar solvent will work fine, if you free base it.

But then you have a freebase, so that's a no-go for distributing on a substrate. The freebase will degrade much more rapidly.

I also agree that the risk of hotspots makes cutting an unsafe strategy--atleast with something as potent as an NBOMe. It also wouldnt help him much in this situation, except to make measurement easier/faster.

The main problem with a pipetting array, or with manual pipetting onto individual squares, is that the drug likely won't be distributed equally across the entire square, and that makes using half of a tab more unpredictable.

Make geltabs instead, it's quite easy actually. The dose of moxy is rather too high to fit on blotter.

That's a pretty good idea :)

I wonder though where you would get the mold for the convex panes (3D-print it?! =D ), and I would suggest looking into a recipe that yields gummy geltabs which IIRC involves glycerin. Otherwise you get brittle flakey stuff.

Don't fuck yourself over just because you already have the printed watercolor paper (which was a bit premature anyway since you clearly haven't figured it all out - and frankly it IS a terrible challenge without a lab). Like I said earlier the only successes I had were not laying actual blotter, but just with approximations involving error margins that could be seen with the eye (or calculated to be very insignificant) and substances that are not bad to double dose on like melatonin.

fwiw geltabs are at least as nice! I would almost try to find an excuse to tab some on my chems up..

Last edited:
The old school way of molding gel tabs is to use the plastic plate that goes under fluorescent light fixtures I'm the ceiling, if you know what I'm talking about...it has a regular pattern of indentation to, I guess, diffuse the light, and certain brands or whatever happen to work handily as a geltab mold, just cut it down to an appropriate size, make a little box that will fit snugly around, and you have a gel tab mold. Purpose made molds also exist, probably these days 3d printed, I am sure you can find them online.

I have some 1 mg/.1 ml etizolam/glycerin that i've been dropping on paper when i take it out of the house. It works well, i just use brown paper bags with no ink to lay it on, it takes a square inch to soak all of it up. Laying blotter accurately sounds hard, even more difficult if you want consistency. Easier to just dump some single dose premeasured liquid on some paper, same effect just not as pretty