• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Late budding ?..

Gardening
I thought I hit a homerun when I found a seed ( Chrome Cake”) in my medical weed I started it in April and when it was big enough I took a cutting so I can have two buckets growing on my fire escape and luckily it was a female and even though it showed it’s sex by June it was so slow forming any buds and seeing that it’s mid October it seems this years plants won’t finish before the freeze hits nj ,I started organic fertilizer 3-9-4 I July to help it along but even with that things don’t look good unless the warm weather holds out till December,,

Could it be something with the single seed I found or more likely the strain itself ,,,

Just curious

When did you take the cutting? The act of taking a cutting likely stunted the plant it was taken from, and the cutting itself takes awhile to establish.

-GC

When did you take the cutting? The act of taking a cutting likely stunted the plant it was taken from, and the cutting itself takes awhile to establish.

-GC
When it was about a ft high , clones form roots in about a week with good light..they reacted great to the cloning , no issues with it forming roots
They’re both equal height now it’s just that they should be finishing by the end of the month but they way they look they need to go at least till the end of November if not longer,I’m thinking it has more to do with the strain ,I’ve been doing then auto flowering seeds the last couple yrs which starts forming buds as early as June but the yield isn’t as much as normal seeds,,,,I’m not sure but this may be the reason I switched to auto flowering seeds but I don’t remember

Yea I’ve had issues with taking cuttings or trying to sex the plants.. Where I live any thing that slows down grow time is too much with such a short grow season here.

Personally I wouldn’t take cuttings from anything but a full grown well established plant. Taking one or more when it’s only a foot high is too soon IMO.

-GC

Yea I’ve had issues with taking cuttings or trying to sex the plants.. Where I live any thing that slows down grow time is too much with such a short grow season here.

Personally I wouldn’t take cuttings from anything but a full grown well established plant. Taking one or more when it’s only a foot high is too soon IMO.

-GC
Have you ever tried the auto-flowering strains, their guaranteed females and they start budding right from the start , regardless of the hrs of light ,they just dont get as dense as normal plants.. Auto-flowering plants once they start forming buds are not good cutting candidates,you gotta take cuttings from them while young or forget it
I’m not sure how you take cutting but I use rock wool cubes that work great,just cut your growing tip of the plant and stick it in a freshly made hole in the cube and your set, keep them wet and place them in something that you can Saran Wrap the top of ( pop some holes in it)and a week later you’ll have roots coming out the bottom of the cubes , I uncover them once a day just to let fresh air in ..

I never had a problem taking a cutting from a motherplant that was a ft high,I actually do it every year and it works out great,both buckets are equal height and the motherplant is just fatter cause it’s got four main branches instead of the one that’s on the cutting, I can’t have a 5’ plant on my fire escape🤣,im oneflight up off the street

Last edited:
Any plant gets 12/12 will start to flower.

I dont know what schedule your on outdoors but you might have missed your window to cover them earlier and induce flowering.

Remember, when you buy seeds and it says "58-65 days", that doesnt include veg time, its purely the flowering schedule.

Autoflowers flip automatically because they are bred using rudaralis which comes from areas with long winters and very little sunlight, this the need to flower quicker, be much smaller and produce less buds and less thc/cannabinoids.

In the city, without grow tents, that's probably your best solution to grow decent plants

Oh yeah, I'd highly suggest not taking cuts from plants in early veg, it will almost certainly stunt regular cannabis plants. Take cuts mature about a week before flipping to 12/12

Have you ever tried the auto-flowering strains, their guaranteed females and they start budding right from the start , regardless of the hrs of light ,they just dont get as dense as normal plants.. Auto-flowering plants once they start forming buds are not good cutting candidates,you gotta take cuttings from them while young or forget it
I’m not sure how you take cutting but I use rock wool cubes that work great,just cut your growing tip of the plant and stick it in a freshly made hole in the cube and your set, keep them wet and place them in something that you can Saran Wrap the top of ( pop some holes in it)and a week later you’ll have roots coming out the bottom of the cubes , I uncover them once a day just to let fresh air in ..

I never had a problem taking a cutting from a motherplant that was a ft high,I actually do it every year and it works out great,both buckets are equal height and the motherplant is just fatter cause it’s got four main branches instead of the one that’s on the cutting, I can’t have a 5’ plant on my fire escape🤣,im oneflight up off the street

Taking from a ft high mother plant is a worlds difference from taking from a ft high plant that just got going…. The mother plant is well established in comparison.

I have tried auto-flowers. IMO they aren’t worth it. Too much hassle for too little yield. The only way I see them worth it, is if you have a clandestine grow where you need short plants. (Even then, one can stake down taller plants and make them grow like vines along the ground.)

-GC

Any plant gets 12/12 will start to flower.
Agreed ,but outdoors things happen with the light cycle after the summer solstice which is when they’ll sex ,,this strain sexed way earlier than that and I got lucky considering I only had one seed
I dont know what schedule your on outdoors but you might have missed your window to cover them earlier and induce flowering.
Your blurring the lines a little with using indoor methods while these are outdoors and that step would be unnecessary,and impractical for my situation
Remember, when you buy seeds and it says "58-65 days", that doesnt include veg time, its purely the flowering schedule.
Correct ,again this is more related to growing indoors when your in total control of the hrs their getting ,outdoors them guesstimates mean nothing ,their done when their done..
Autoflowers flip automatically because they are bred using rudaralis which comes from areas with long winters and very little sunlight, this the need to flower quicker, be much smaller and produce less buds and less thc/cannabinoids.

In the city, without grow tents, that's probably your best solution to grow decent plants
Agreed I never thought to much of the autoflowering plants but I think I switched to them a few yrs ago because it got cold early one yr and lost everything before it was done,they produce but I bet it’s only about 1/4 of what you’d get from normal seeds,if that..

In a breeder.

Solstice has little to do with flowering, it's all light cycles.

I grow outdoors, I'm licensed for alot of outdoor plants.

I breed indoors, because I dont like open pollination.

I also run a seperate grow, its 17,500sq ft.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but I know what I'm talking about here.

Stick to feminized autoflowers, they will work best in your situation

Taking from a ft high mother plant is a worlds difference from taking from a ft high plant that just got going…. The mother plant is well established in comparison.

I have tried auto-flowers. IMO they aren’t worth it. Too much hassle for too little yield. The only way I see them worth it, is if you have a clandestine grow where you need short plants. (Even then, one can stake down taller plants and make them grow like vines along the ground.)

-GC
The auto flower ones last year were just as tall as these but they were just light in weight when finished,they’d be good if you just wanted to plant them somewhere and just forget about them till the end of the season and you see what you get from them without worrying about males popping up,, I never tried them indoors either

In a breeder.

Solstice has little to do with flowering, it's all light cycles.
Days start getting shorter at the solistice so it has everything to do with the light cycle, no?
I grow outdoors, I'm licensed for alot of outdoor plants.

I breed indoors, because I dont like open pollination.
What do you do selective pollination with a bag or paintbrush ?
I also run a seperate grow, its 17,500sq ft.
That’s impressive,my biggest grow was a 4’x8’ area with two 400 watts 🤣
I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but I know what I'm talking about here.
Your not sounding like a dick at all,we chatting
Stick to feminized autoflowers, they will work best in your situation
This is my last grow on the fire escape , next year outdoors in Florida somewhere

The solstice is a factor, but depending on where you live, this becomes and issue, especially in colder climates with sativas, most people are forcing the light patterns on plants even outdoors(using tarps, garbage bags, you name it growers will find a way.

I do not breed with a paintbrush/bag, we call those "pollen chuckers". I have my strains planned up to two years in advance and use one male that is selected, to fully pollinate other strains that are selected from a long process of stress testing, regrowing, testing again, etc. So I'm creating an entire line of seeds at once. It takes alot of patience and skill, oh and planning, but it's fun as fuck and I just love what I do.

Glad you just view it as discussion! That's how it should be(but i know feelings can get hurt online because txt doesnt translate tone)

You'll have so much fun growing in Florida! Waaay bigger plants and just a great environment, but look for strains that are mildew resistant because Florida is pretty damn humid lol(so budrot can be an issue if you dont stay on top of it)

If ya have other questions dood, fire away!

I doubt that, cannabis is very resilient, but...if they did flip to flower on their own yes, not enough light(little to no veg time)

Also, for the future, since I'd assume your just growing for yourself, you can download an app that is pretty darn good for amateur growers.

Just look up lux meter.

This will show you of you have enough light and light dispersion.

It measure in lux, you want par #s, but that's easily convertible. 60,000 lux is 600 par.

You want between 600-1000 par inside, outdoors will be higher, which is fine. Because 1000 is the limit indoors before you then have to add c02, outdoors that's already there.

Will you be in northern Florida or south?

Since your moving to a much better growing environment, I'd take back my autoflower comment and say regular gems might be perfect for ya, and if you enjoy the first grow (structure/pest resistant/size/ etc) you can clone those plants(but I no longer work gems personally, but I get it when one is with limited room/plants and/or finances)

I'm stoked for you!

The solstice is a factor, but depending on where you live, this becomes and issue, especially in colder climates with sativas, most people are forcing the light patterns on plants even outdoors(using tarps, garbage bags, you name it growers will find a way.

I do not breed with a paintbrush/bag, we call those "pollen chuckers". I have my strains planned up to two years in advance and use one male that is selected, to fully pollinate other strains that are selected from a long process of stress testing, regrowing, testing again, etc. So I'm creating an entire line of seeds at once. It takes alot of patience and skill, oh and planning, but it's fun as fuck and I just love what I do.

yeah I totally

Glad you just view it as discussion! That's how it should be(but i know feelings can get hurt online because txt doesnt translate tone)

You'll have so much fun growing in Florida! Waaay bigger plants and just a great environment, but look for strains that are mildew resistant because Florida is pretty damn humid lol(so budrot can be an issue if you dont stay on top of it)

If ya have other questions
I’m pretty much squared away with it for now but I’ll dig this thread up if something happens with it either way, 👍👍