Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

L-Theanine

Greenbeans

Bluelighter
Greetings,

Has anyone from Australia ever imported L-Theanine? Does anyone have any info on it's legal status for NSW?

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
I ordered it years ago and had no dramas.

Cool. The site i was considering ordering it from say it requires prescription information - was this your experience? If so, what did you do? Please note i am not asking for a source.

Also, what state did you order it to?

Last edited:
Can the TGA ban individual substances in everyday food items without banning the food itself from consumption? Could they ban L-theanine without banning tea?

Yes, but unless there's been reports of abuse or the substance is known to be dangerous, I'd doubt very much they'd have cause to.

So, for example if they were to schedule L-theanine as a drug yet let tea remain legal for consumption, surely this logic would open the floodgates for the legal consumption of other non-extracted drug carriers such as DMT or ephedrine containing plants ;)

So, for example if they were to schedule L-theanine as a drug yet let tea remain legal for consumption, surely this logic would open the floodgates for the legal consumption of other non-extracted drug carriers such as DMT or ephedrine containing plants

You jest, but there are examples......

As I said, it's unlikely, but they could ban it if it proved to be dangerous.

After all, L-tryptophan was removed from the OTC market and later became unavailable via prescription, but there's probably around 10 or more grams in a litre of milk (page 7 on the below link)

CMEC 28
Complementary Medicines Evaluation Committee

In New Zealand they have scheduled GABA as a class B controlled drug. Yet it is in many things commonly consumed. Also, many every day items such as cheese, oranges and chocolate are carriers of controlled substance analogues. Perhaps these examples could be useful to the defense in certain cases, especially if the charge was relating to natural substances.

I'd tend to think the actual process of extraction and concentration could constitute an infringement, but then again, I'm no lawyer.

You can get this supp from any good health food store in Aus. Don't bother importing it. Look harder...

A reputable brand that I have used starts with a 'M' and ends in an 'I' and sounds a little like mushie.

A reputable brand that I have used starts with a 'M' and ends in an 'I' and sounds a little like mushie.

Don't buy that brand, all of their products are massively overpriced. I would have told people what brand to get and where to get it earlier but it is against the rules.

You can get this supp from any good health food store in Aus. Don't bother importing it. Look harder...

Are you a resident of QLD? I'm in NSW and all the health food shops near me have never heard of it, and can't find it in their little catalogs... I also read on a .pdf somewhere online that it's schedule 2 in NSW, but i can't find the document. Also, one site i found seems to insist on having prescription details before sending theanine to anyone?

Phase_dancer: Didn't realise that was an option for some reason lol i'll give it a try.

I would have told people what brand to get and where to get it earlier but it is against the rules.

I understand, but that sucks. It's not like it's an RC or something.

Not if you buy in bulk powder form...

You must be confused. The brand you mentioned doesn't even sell L-Theanine.

Buying bulk powders from them is just as crazy as buying your supps from the big name supplement store. There are much cheaper ways to get supps.

Ummm why would australia ban it . It's in so many foods.

For chrissake it's in green tea lol .

Some amazing stuff if I must say !!! I find it just makes me
feel great , happy and motivated.
Drink 3cups if green tea with added matcha .

Able to cross the blood-brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties.[6] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress,[7] and improves cognition[8] and mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine.[9][10]

While structurally related to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, theanine only has weak affinity for the glutamate receptor on postsynaptic cells.[11] Rather, its primary effect seems to increase the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA. Theanine also increases brain dopamine levels and has a low affinity for AMPA, kainate and NMDA receptors.[12] Its effect on serotonin is still a matter of debate in the scientific community, with studies showing increases and decreases in brain serotonin levels using similar experimental protocols.[13][14] It has also been found that injecting spontaneously hypertensive mice with theanine significantly lowered levels of 5-hydroxyindoles in the brain.[15] Researchers also speculate it may inhibit glutamic acid excitotoxicity.[12] Theanine also promotes alpha wave production in the brain.[6]