• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology Krokodil - actives and toxins

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic

AlsoTapered

Bluelighter
Above is a hotlink to what I consider to be the index paper i.e. it contains references to all of the papers that deal with the chemistry and toxicity of the street drug 'krokodil'.

For a start, their are 2 major actives - desoxymorphine-C and desoxymorphine-D as well as their N-desmethyl cointerparts. Now I've co-responded with a team in Italy and another in Argentina and we concluded that the 2 'unidentified' compounds descovered in GC-MS data is a result of N-PH2 derivatives i.e. phosphorous triiodide reacting with the N-desmethyl metabolites to form phosphoramides . This is VERY likely to be the impurity responsible for the serious tissue and bone damage. I even watched footage of someone making krokodil and while she had been smart enough to make HI beforehand, she did so using a vessel sat on a sandbath right next to her bed so she was breathing in PH3 all the time. She has no tissue damage but the PH3 rotted her bones.

So purely for the sake of HR, if anyone is consider doing something so dangerous, at least find out how to perform a base-acid extraction which will yield a white crystaline powder. You might not get much but you will not end up with any less ACTIVE drug by carrying out one extra step. It will remove anything non-phenolic and anything without a basic nitrogen moiety.

Last edited:
Of course it depends where you are, but codeine isn't hard to obtain in MANY nations, so don't presume EVERY post is specifically aimed at you.

It's the fact that isolated cases still keep turning up but people are still using the terrible Russian 'home bake' method. IF one is capable of searching for the route (I am presuming people do use internet search engines to find said synthesis) then they can also find this and since it actually provides for a pure product and a solid intermediate, it's actually MORE practical. Less solvent volume.

You can get 0.5g of desomorphine-C & desomorphine-D (and their N-desmethyl counterparts) from 1 gram of codeine or you can get almost 1g half of which is toxic, dangerous crap. Compounds that are not opioids but ARE toxic.

Last edited:
BTW it's worth noting that quantitative studies (in a reference of the paper I hotlink to), the yield of desoxymorphine-D & desoxymorphine-C can reach 72% which is pretty impressive. I am almost certain that whoever it was who made it used HI without P so that no N-demethylation and so no formation of phosphoramides occurred.

Dihydrocodeine will only yield desoxymorphine-D but since DHC has never been used in Russia (to my knowledge), it's never been tested.

The alternative is to form a-chlorocodide or (I presume) a-chlorodihydrocodide.

The HI doesn't need P4 to carry out the steps goin from codeine to desoxymorphine?

BTW it's worth noting that quantitative studies (in a reference of the paper I hotlink to), the yield of desoxymorphine-D & desoxymorphine-C can reach 72% which is pretty impressive. I am almost certain that whoever it was who made it used HI without P so that no N-demethylation and so no formation of phosphoramides occurred.

Dihydrocodeine will only yield desoxymorphine-D but since DHC has never been used in Russia (to my knowledge), it's never been tested.

The alternative is to form a-chlorocodide or (I presume) a-chlorodihydrocodide.
I was under the impression that grooming the a-chlorcodide was the main route of preparation. It makes sense that rp/I is the main route due to ease of access compared to SOCl2.

For the commercial production of pharmaceutical gate desomorphine, yes, but SOCl2 is actually a CWC list II item and catalytic hydrogenation isn't something one can readily do in the kitchen.

Krokodil is most certainly NOT desomorphine, it's a mixture. I simply seek to demonstrate that JUST the actives can be isolated.

I haven't listed the route but their IS a simple alternative to RP/I which can be found on the internet, Both the materials and the method are there for anyone with 5 minutes to search.

Last edited:
Can you explain the differences between Desomorphine-C and Desomorphine-D? I cant find anything easily online and if there are any pharmacological differences.

Desoxymorphine-C and desoxymorphine-D, the latter is more commonly known as desophine BUT since I listed 2 compounds, I thought maintaining the same terminology easier. Also tiny amounts of methyldesorphine were found in one sample but I don't trust the paper as their were in. Not when it comes to identify stuff present in low concentrations. IF it's formed, cleaning won't remove it and it's even more potent.

Desoxymorphine-C and desoxymorphine-D, the latter is more commonly known as desophine BUT since I listed 2 compounds, I thought maintaining the same terminology easier. Also tiny amounts of methyldesorphine were found in one sample but I don't trust the paper as their were in. Not when it comes to identify stuff present in low concentrations. IF it's formed, cleaning won't remove it and it's even more potent.

Ah thank you!

I see where I got confused now.

Life is a learning experience.

The actives in Krokodil appear to be about equal parts of both (over 96% of actives) although as I said, small amounts of methyldesorphine appeared in one sample. That would suggest methyl iodide was being formed (which is BAD) and yet another reason not to use RP.

You can at least JUST get the 2 main items at about 75% yield if you just use HI premade... I saw footage of someone smart enough to do this but as I said, not smart enough to place the HI production (which was I + P4) next to their bed and PH3 was wafting into her lungs as she slept.

She so nearly got things right...