• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Kratom taking 3-4 hours to take effect?

SuperPsych

Bluelighter
I have been on opioids on and off (mostly on) for 10 years. Went from Morphine to kratom to sober to kratom to heroin to sober to kratom to buprenorphine back to kratom where I currently stand.

Kratom has ALWAYS kicked in for me within 20-40 minutes, with the peak around the 60 minute mark. This past week or so I haven't been reaching the peak until the 3 or 4 hour mark. I am physically dependent and do notice that my withdrawal symptoms improve about 30-60 minutes after dosing, but the actual "high" doesn't kick in until hour 3 or 4. My last dose I took was 2 hours ago and I'm feeling the euphoric part which is quicker than it has been kicking in. I've been using 20-30 GPD, 5g doses throughout the day until I reach my max. I've been using the same brand as always and use Green and/or White during the day and Red at night. Has this happened to anyone? Is it likely to be tolerance and I just need to increase my dose to get high again? I'm on day two of keeping precise track of my dosages. After a few days I'm gonna take my average for the week and try a slow taper. Like reducing half a gram every 2 or 3 days. I've tried quick tapers in the past with no luck and have tried tapering buprenorphine but can never get lower than 1mg without being in withdrawal all day.

Another theory I have is my body is having a hard time processing it. About 2 weeks ago I had a meth binge and the last dose I took I would call and accidental OD. I had a full bladder but was completely unable to pee. It would take 40 minutes of concentrating on the toilet to get a dribble out. After about 4 hours I was able to mostly empty my bladder, so I think my kidneys were taking quite a beating. Hopefully I didn't trash my kidneys permanently. Got some blood work done the other day and my results look good, though I'm not sure what test would indicate kidney issues.

Has anyone every noticed kratom taking significantly longer to kick in that is typical before or have any theories?

Only if I did it in capsules. Do not worry I know a bit about kidney damage. I am on lithium more than a decade had kidney stone aswell. Blood + Urine analizys can determine one’s kidney function. Kratom won’t hurt them on the long run. I am not a doctor I want to be clear about that just someone with monthly kidney test. About meth and morphine… unless You are binge on them every day mostly meth. And do not have the requrement water intake. Well You may damage the kidneys but not chronically damage fo them to become scarred for life. Anyway I hope You are allright

When I was taking a lot of kratom daily I noticed it and anything I took orally sometimes took a long time to work. I found a benefit from magnesium citrate. It's sold in drug stores with laxatives. Don't drink the whole bottle unless you want to prep for a colonoscopy, drink maybe a shot glass or two a couple times a day.
I also found benefit of eating something with my dose, like a couple celery stalks or an apple because I imagined the toss and wash doses forming a kratom-y cement otherwise

I think it's just the tolerance making you feel well fast but not high until later. Kratom has this slowly building effect because of stronger active metabolites (7-oh mitragynine and possibly mitragynine pseudoindoxyl). With tolerance or very low dose it may take a while to pass the threshold to euphoria.

To me it presents almost like a biphasic effect, first a light energetic state (like what coffee should be like) and then more of a sedated state as the effect increases. There may also be some weird dissociation at high doses well into the timeline.

My idea is to limit intake to two days per week. This way no tolerance is formed and there's little need to worry about other concerns such as indigestible plant matter, toxic minor alkaloids and constipation.

Last edited: