• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Questions

Psychedalienation

Bluelighter
Used the searchbar and could not find what I was looking for. I could not find a megathread anywhere even though I swear I've seen one before! Just wanted to create a post with all my specific questions that can be answered at once, specifically. Please close thread and redirect me if there is one that can help me and please accept my apologies, mods.

So Kratom.
It isn't an opiate but acts like one? I've had experience with hydrocodone and codeine, how does this drug compare effects/potency-wise?
I keep reading that it has "undesirable effects" yet the hype over it seems overwhelming on this forum recreationally. What is this about?
Also, it's legality makes me question if it's just a new substance to the market or if it isn't worth ingesting?
Since it's a leaf, I'm assuming it can be smoked the same way cannabis can, so does anyone have any THC/Kratom combination experiences?
Is it an addictive drug/dangerous drug to consume?
Is it dangerous to consume if on aminoketone antidepressants such as bupropion and/or amphetamines like methylphenidate?
Good, SAFE, recreational starting dose for someone who is 6'2, 145 lbs?
Are there any other medicinal effects of it besides pain management?

I've read that Kratom is in the same family as the coffee tree (Rubiaceae). The leaves of kratom have been used as an herbal drug. Kratom can produce lots of opiate-like effects, but it's not an opiate. The active ingredients in Kratom are called alkaloids (mitragynine) which is a stimulant, while the primary alkaloid 7-hydroximitragyine has a sedative and as a light analgesic. These alkaloids impact the brain's opioid μ-opioid receptors, the same ones affected by opiates.

There's used to be threads about kratom potency but mostly it comes to people experimenting great amounts of Kratom and never getting a not or not finding it comparable to regular painkillers. I the following thread it says How strong is kratom compared to hydro/oxy..

I shouldn't even say good mood. It allows me to get through my day and complete menial tasks without sweating profusely and aching like a UFC fighter.

I think it tends to lead one person to search for a stronger opiates more than being called addictive.
Dangerousness depends of how much you use, for how long. Everyone is different and it's not like you can place inffo about your weight, etc and ask how does this affect you.

Even with known drugs this would be difficult to say because it depends on too many variables. Tolerance to name one.

It's widely used to help with withdrawals.

Yeah, its not an opiate, but acts on some of the same receptors. The effects do not compare to real opiate pain killers, but they can seem similar. I would say that the feeling kratom gives you is very very similar to the first initial come-up feeling when using opiates, but it ends there. You don't nod, or get high or anything (still feels nice in my opinion).

This shit has been around for a long time too, its not a new substance. Apparently people in southeast Asia have consumed kratom tea for thousands of years.

A lot of people take it as a tea. You can also use the "toss-and-wash" method. This is where you simply toss the kratom powder into your mouth and wash it down. Its hard to do at first, some people gag and puke. You cannot smoke kratom.

Kratom also defnintely has some addictive properties and so far we haven't really seen any negative effects when mixing with anything else. I've heard some people feel kinda sick if they mix it with alcohol, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of kratom, its supposed to be a nice light mood booster, that also kills pain. It just makes you a little happier in my experience.

A starting does (for anyone) would be around 2 grams. If you're uncomfortable with that, just try 1 gram. Also, i've talked to a lot of people that say they get nauseous and "spinny" (and sometimes vomit) when first trying kratom. This didnt happen to me, so im really not sure why this happens. These odd effects turn people off kratom sometimes, but i've also heard that some of the same people often come back and try a second or third dose and end up not having the negative effects and then loving the substance after all.

Edit: I've only been using kratom for about a year and a half, so if any of this info is wrong i hope someone will correct me.

So Kratom.
It isn't an opiate but acts like one? I've had experience with hydrocodone and codeine, how does this drug compare effects/potency-wise?
I keep reading that it has "undesirable effects" yet the hype over it seems overwhelming on this forum recreationally. What is this about?
Also, it's legality makes me question if it's just a new substance to the market or if it isn't worth ingesting?
Since it's a leaf, I'm assuming it can be smoked the same way cannabis can, so does anyone have any THC/Kratom combination experiences?
Is it an addictive drug/dangerous drug to consume?
Is it dangerous to consume if on aminoketone antidepressants such as bupropion and/or amphetamines like methylphenidate?
Good, SAFE, recreational starting dose for someone who is 6'2, 145 lbs?
Are there any other medicinal effects of it besides pain management?

I've been using it off and on for a few years. I was on Suboxone for a long time after years of a cycle of heroin-kick and stay clean-relapse-methadone clinic-detox and then drink-sober up and stay clean-relapse on pain pills-Suboxone for many years. I had to quit the Sub as my doctor was retiring and they didn't have any other doctors here in my small town. Being afraid of going completely off everything--I tapered the Sub down to zero and took up kratom as a way to get over that wall I kept getting stuck at with long-term withdrawals from the sub.

I've been on it off and on for most of a year--currently off but waiting for a shipment. Let me try to answer your questions if I can. I'd say it's comparable, both painkilling and opiate feeling, to a low dose of codeine, maybe a T3 or so. But different. You can't really compare it to anything else, because it's just a little different.

Some people hate it, some love it, and most are in the middle. It's great for withdrawals, especially long-acting ones that just go on and on, like methadone and Suboxone. I haven't found it hard to go off for a few days at a time, but it has a high tolerance curve and if you get a buzz in the beginning, remember it, because it probably won't happen again, at least not until you get clean off all opioids for at least weeks. Increasing the dose, beyond a small bump, won't make the feeling come back, either, though it will still keep you from getting sick.

The hype has to do with our overreaching government hating for us to use anything they aren't making a profit from. The same people who got America hooked on Oxycontin by lying about it to doctors and patients and make BILLIONS now are manufacturing generic Suboxone. Nice, tidy way to profit off addicts and pain patients. So when we can get a plant Big Pharma can't make bank on they ban it. The only reason pot is now OK in some states--like mine--is for the tax benefits. The state is making a fortune. The feds will legalize it because they're jealous of the money we're making and they want some too.

You can't get high smoking it, just because of the volume, and most people buy it in powder anyway. It's easier to mix and measure. But I've used kratom and pot together and really like it. I'm on Effexor and Trazodone, and an official, card-carrying crazy person, and it seems to interact just fine, so I assume it would with the other things you mentioned. In fact, it does act a little like maybe Buspar in leveling out mood swings. That's just MY opinion, it really does affect people differently.

I'd also advise starting with 1 gram or 2. If it's good kratom, you'll experience something, and you can go from there. Remember that it is an opioid, and if you do it every day, you will have withdrawals when you stop. Some people report terrible ones--mine were mild, at least so far, but I skip days when I can. It energizes me so if I have a lot to do, I take some in the morning. And it's great for restless legs--better than the prescription drugs they gave me. Best wishes!

All I will say about kratom here is that is was an option that replaced some poison and gave me my life back.
Not sure what I have yet but it's been a long time since I felt comfortable with life itself and my place in it in it in any given moment.
This place (BL) brought this option to my attention while browsing to get off good sh** and to be "somebody" again.
So far so good..........
Will update: LOL

I once read it has very little effects when it is smoked. I used it for some period last year but stopped because it gave me a nausea feeling. Also its a hassle that you can only take it on an empty stomach, also re-dosing had very little effect. I have that with these mushrooms also, like uneasy stomach and intestines.