• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom/liver issues?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Read from a couple of users that kratom has caused liver problems for them on BL. This is pretty terrifying because I've been on it for roughly a year daily now. Would I have had side effects by now? My use is 8-10 grams a day, sometimes more and sometimes less. I don't know what to believe at this point because the substances is so understudied. Please post if you've had any issues like this or other terrible side effects. And are you sure it wasn't other substances if you've been using too besides kratom?

I've seen some people say online, which you may have seen as well, that they went and got tested and everything was fine. There may be a lot of factors at play. Is it being combined with anything? You touched on this in your post.

I think the most important thing is to get it from a reputable source. For example, the place that uses the animal which causes the most deaths in Africa put the test results on its site. And to be bluntly honest, there are some trace amounts of stuff in there- but you have to remember that this is normal, and that fruits and vegetables that you get from the grocery store can have the similar trace amounts. Like, rice has trace amounts of aresenic or something.

In any case, best thing you can do is go get tested and get back to us! Maybe up your water intake. In any case, I know my post wasn't much help. Just wanted to reply and offer my 2 cents. But I think if liver damage was a real concern, you would be seeing waaaay more reports of it. So you can take some solace in that.

From the reports ive seen the effects on the liver are usually seen shortly after the first use. We don't know the long term effects of kratom but people in southeast asia have been using it for a long time, although probably not at the doses we use since they mostly chewed the whole leaves.

I've been using consistently and at higher doses than you for the past 2 years, I haven't enjoyed it, but I don't feel any worse off physically. The satisfaction of kratom drops off rapidly at higher doses and negative mental side effects sneak up on you. I'd recommend getting off kratom unless you absolutely need it for pain.

Like falsified said, the cases of liver problems seem vwery rare, and they develop quickly within a short period of time. Kratom does not seem to cause liver problems dfor the vast majority of people. I did it every day, eventually up to 50 grams a day, for 6 years, and never felt any negative effects (except constipation and addiction).

Kratom is physically addictive as you probably know. Daily use leads to bad things... can't get high anymore from it, just taking it to not feel like shit. It's not a fun life.

I have hep c and was eating kratom everyday for a little over a year at dosages ranging from 4g-7g 1x-3x a day. Never had any issues at all.

If I drink especially if I drink multiple nights in a row the area where my liver is will be throbbing, painful, bloated, and hot.

So for me it was safe. 2 days of drinking felt way worse than 1 year of kratom

Read from a couple of users that kratom has caused liver problems for them on BL. This is pretty terrifying because I've been on it for roughly a year daily now. Would I have had side effects by now? My use is 8-10 grams a day, sometimes more and sometimes less. I don't know what to believe at this point because the substances is so understudied. Please post if you've had any issues like this or other terrible side effects. And are you sure it wasn't other substances if you've been using too besides kratom?

I have read reports just recently on here from people having brown urine from using Kratom.
They were saying that some people lack some kind of enzyme that allows the liver and kidneys to process it.
Be very careful guys! Watch for these signs-

I have had Liver Failure and let me tell you, I DO NOT EVER want any of you to experience it.
If your urine starts going dark or off color and you notice it smells funky/bad, you have an odor coming off you, and are sweating bad,
your right side is throbbing, burning, stinging, itching, hot, swollen. You are loosing mental functioning. Confusion. Itchy skin. Yellow skin, yellow or orange for advanced , whites of the eyes. A jaundice look. Pale and yellow. you can especially see the yellow in the fingernails as well as the eyes. The color of your fingernails tells you what shape your Liver is in.
GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM! Do not hesitate for one second.
(same thing for kidney failure but you will feel it in your lower back on both sides. Other symptoms are the same)

The emergency room has medication that can reverse the effects or try. It can save your life. This is painful, painful stuff too.
liver failure- woah! You will be forced to go there from pain.
You won’t ever be the same again.

Watch for signs always and if you start to notice dark urine or yellow fingernails or swollen abdomen on the right side.
Drink tons of water. Water! Flush out your body. Stop taking any medication. De-toxify. Sit in a hot sauna shower and sweat out toxins.
Eat a healthy, clean diet.

Take care of your Livers my friends. It is Life and Energy and Digestion that is located there.
Take care!

Last edited:
Used heavily on and off since 2005. 50 + grams a day most of that time. (yeah I always needed way more than most and I get good kratom). I just had a physical and my liver is about perfect. I will say I also take milk thistle at times though. But my liver function enzymes were the lowest they can be.

I think at this point the kratom/liver issue for some people is as mysterious as some of the vaping issues. Not as bad as only a few people I read of can not tolerate kratom. Vaping legitimately killed a few people so I consider that serious. But with liver issues whether it is the kratom itself, adulterant, genetics or anything else it would be nice to get to the bottom of it. So I appreciate when people tell their story (genuinely)

There are some posts here, but a few of them were the same guy rejoining bluelight with different names to trash kratom. I suspect his girlfriend ran off with a kratom vendor. :) But stuff like that does not help us zero in on real issues. Thankfully for most kratom is not an issue.