• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom krazy.. insights on kratoms subjective effects

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
So I’ve been on Kratom for a few months now and I’ve noticed it is a very very odd drug. But I do like it and I’m addicted now anyways so unless I switch to another opiate I’m kinda smoked.

But some realizations I’ve had are:

Pros:

Helps provide a mood boost
Helps anxiety
Relaxation
Energy if needed

Cons:

Appetite is way down I’ve lost 10 pounds
I get dizzy and feel near fainting randomly especially in the morning
I’m noticeably weaker lifting weights and can’t operate at my full level which scares the crap out of me..

I don’t like the early morning lightheaded ness and I surely don’t like how it makes me weaker and move slower.

However it is a useful substance for being legal and helping keep me from harder drugs.. I guess. Probably gonna need to stop soon

So I’ve been on Kratom for a few months now and I’ve noticed it is a very very odd drug. But I do like it and I’m addicted now anyways so unless I switch to another opiate I’m kinda smoked.

But some realizations I’ve had are:

Pros:

Helps provide a mood boost
Helps anxiety
Relaxation
Energy if needed

Cons:

Appetite is way down I’ve lost 10 pounds
I get dizzy and feel near fainting randomly especially in the morning
I’m noticeably weaker lifting weights and can’t operate at my full level which scares the crap out of me..

I don’t like the early morning lightheaded ness and I surely don’t like how it makes me weaker and move slower.

However it is a useful substance for being legal and helping keep me from harder drugs.. I guess. Probably gonna need to stop soon
How many grams a day are you consuming and what do your doses look like? I have the same pros as you and none of the cons. The only con I have is it makes me sweat excessively about 15 minutes after ingestion and then subsides in maybe 15 more minutes. It actually increases my appetite ( I have gained weight since I have started, and have taken 20-27 grams per day for the last 26 months. And I am pretty addicted myself but that is all I take, like you. And a bit of weed here and there, not much. My morning dose of 4 grams gives me good energy and appetite. Then I re-dose 3, 4, or 5 grams a couple more times ( maybe noon and four ). Last dose of 7 grams is bedtime dose for sleep.

How many grams I take determines the effects. 3 or 4 is energetic. 5 is energy but a calm energy. 7 is nite nite.

Sucks that it makes you weak and lightheaded. And it has kept me off of everything else as well.

I know i have told you before but congrats, again, on the hard work you put in to get off of the drugs you were on.

Kratom makes me eat like crazy, I can crush 2 large sandwiches easily..but I only been taking a tbsp in the morning and one at night for the last week or so, I don’t think I’m on that high a dose compared to some, it’s a weird drug for sure, it does make me feel better and more friendly but I am always thinking about just taking a bunch and getting that buzz

I've been taking kratom for about a year now. Started on it to help get off my oxy/hydro habit which had been out of hand for several years. Helped a lot. I still dabble in opioids now&then, but nothing like the daily 120 to 200 mgs I was doing before.
I generally take 2--3 grams in the morning and then redose the same amount every 2 to 4 hours depending on whether I'm working that day. I'm a cook in a VERY BUSY restaurant and definitely use more on workdays. I stop about 3 hours before bedtime. I wind down with weed and beer.

Yeah, kratom is a weird drug. It can really boost my energy/mood, but not always. Sometimes I get the dizzy/faint feeling when I do a little too much. Sometimes it seems to decrease my appetite, other times increase it.

One odd side effect for me is that it temporarily decreases my need for nicotine. I'm a serious nic addict-- I smoke, vape, and dip, and have used tobacco for nearly 50 years. For the first hour after dosing (I mix powder in coffee), I find nicotine kind of repugnant. Every other drug I've ever done increases my desire for nicotine.

Go figure.

I find kratom helps with weight lifting endurance though reducing stength a bit.

Worst part about kratom is the short duration and the gastrointestinal stuff associated with all that powder. Sometimes ill have a wash and toss that sits wrong and ill feel awful. I think sometimes some powder gets stuck in the lower portion of the esophageal tract, doesn't feel good.

And of course the kratom irritability when it hits isnt fun. Kratom irritability is especially bad when combined with certain stimulants, the worst being kratom + isopropylphenidate or kratom + modafinil/adrafinil.

I actually find that kratom makes me feel more motivated to lift and gives me endurance. And has no negative effect on my appetite. it is a strange drug though. it also gets worse the more you dose in a day, it starts to produce withdrawals just hours after dosing when you get in too deep. I find it really hard not to slowly increase my usage until I get to that point, too. It's not much fun to be on it long-term.

Funny, I actually wrote a piece just a few weeks ago about "kratom and mental clarity" (particularly regarding meditation), cause I did an (unplanned) experiment with a 10 day sampling streak. The findings were not to my liking 😞, really twisted me and got me thinking. Thought about posting it here, but am not sure..

@OpiateKiller My subjective experience is pretty similar to yours. I would add constipation/indigestion to the cons, although this was just in the early years, now it kind of sorted itself out somehow, but this could easily be due to changed eating habits. Not good! Interesting that some folks report actually eating more while on kratom?!

Also, the longer I used, the more my mouth got dry while sleeping. This is not only unpleasant, I'm pretty sure this is soo not contributing to dental health! We have saliva for a reason. But I seem to have, or had 😉, a atypical use pattern of only one dose a day, which I think really makes a difference in terms of building up a tolerance; stuff like:
it starts to produce withdrawals just hours after dosing when you get in too deep.
must just be nasty! 😨 Thats kind of the definition of 'having a monkey on your back', not sure how I would handle that. But it's not like that one-dose-a-day doesn't get you hooked, ..just for the record.

EDIT: @jasperkent Do you want go come off nicotine? Do you think kratom would be of help with this, or is the nicotine craving suppression effect short-lived?

Last edited:
One odd side effect for me is that it temporarily decreases my need for nicotine. I'm a serious nic addict-- I smoke, vape, and dip, and have used tobacco for nearly 50 years. For the first hour after dosing (I mix powder in coffee), I find nicotine kind of repugnant. Every other drug I've ever done increases my desire for nicotine.
About five years ago, when I was on kratom and been smoking on and off, smoking was not even an option. Every time I took a puff I started feeling nauseating. Other things I could eat and drink quite well, but tobacco was messing with me. It seems like tobacco and kratom are not suited for marriage.

I’m a pack a day smoker and even on kratom typically go through 3/4 a pack, it’s crazy how differently it effects people, there needs to me more research done on this plant for sure

kratom reduces your appetite? kratom always used to give me the munchies like fuck but food would reduce the high, so it was a constant battle between hunger and highness, lol.

I'd quit, long term opioids fuck you physically, be it heroin or kratom or tramadol, for starters, your testosterone goes to zero

PS to BenzoBrain-- 100 grams?!?!?! You gotta be kidding! For real?
I don't think he's being hyperbolic. There's days when my dose throughout the day approache 100g. I don't get the weakness, nausea double vision or other negative effects others report. Constipation can be an issue, but it is easily ameliorated with diet and colace. I think my lack of appreciable side effects makes it so much harder to keep my doses in check.

To bongdong:
While I periodically think that I "should" quit nicotine, I know that I don't really want to. Like Mark Twain said: "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times."
I've overcome several other drug addictions and I know that the bottom line is that I have to truly WANT to quit.
As to kratom"s potential as a tool for cessation-- who knows? It may help some folks.
I am convinced that all the tools & support in the universe won't help an addict who wants to use more than s/he wants to not use.

To bongdong:
While I periodically think that I "should" quit nicotine, I know that I don't really want to. Like Mark Twain said: "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times."
I've overcome several other drug addictions and I know that the bottom line is that I have to truly WANT to quit.
As to kratom"s potential as a tool for cessation-- who knows? It may help some folks.
I am convinced that all the tools & support in the universe won't help an addict who wants to use more than s/he wants to not use.
I agree. And I suspect thats why I find it easier to quit meth than caffeine. I don't really have a good reason to quit caffeine, whereas I had plenty to quit meth. Also meth withdrawal doesn't have that fucking headache.

@jasperkent I see. Seems you got yourself some insight into the whole addiction thing, good for you! I totally agree. And yes, would be interesting to know if it could be of help with nicotine dependence, but my guess is, when the mindset it not there yet, it will probably just be a replacement of substances.

@Pickledlemons That makes sense. But I think the view on caffeine is pretty distorted nowadays, I mean e.g. we don't really question that many employers provide this drug 'for free' and even don't mind that people take time off work to indulge in it, a.k.a. coffee break, despite the fact that it usually says "no drugs on the job" in contracts. I used to work in a field where coffee consumption was pretty hefty, to the point where folks actually got health issues from it. Anyway.

A person I learned a lot from once said:
If you don't know the liability of something, you also don't know the benefits of giving it up.
That's why I deliberately try pay attention when in a withdrawal situation, ..I wrote about it somewhere.

Back to kratom: In the 'old day', I experienced a nice synergetic effect of kratom + cannabis, but that's not really the case anymore. This has probably less to do with kratom itself, but with me or my changed relationship to cannabis, now it's like: the kratom dulls the cannabis and the cannabis subverts the kratom turn and it feels like it's, neither nore, so I basically stopped doint it. Perhaps for the best anyway..