• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Kratom for Suboxone withdrawal

MyrandaK

Bluelighter
To anyone looking to use kratom for SUBOXONE WITHDRAWAL or wd from any other opioid, please allow me to share my experience; in hopes of saving you grief. First off, if you are a chronic sub user, you’ve taken it daily for months or years, and it does not provide you any high or abnormal feeling... kratom is not strong enough to relieve your wds enough for you to spend a lot of money on it.
I had to learn this after spending probably $200 on it, trying various strains. Red or green maeng da was the best. But I had to take 20-30 capsules at a time and after a short period of relief, suffered a bad headache. A headache is a sign of too much kratom.
I had read so much about kratom for sub wds in here that I was excited to try it. But it’s not worth it. In an extreme emergency, try the strain I mentioned. Wasting money on diff strains is a waste of time also.

Don't buy capsules of kratom. You need powder. Some capsules are labelled 500mg, but that is the gross weight including the capsule itself, and only contain 300mg. Thus it's not surprising you'd need 20-30, and as a result spend a lot of money in the process. Buying the powder allows you to take the same amount for a fraction of that cost. That is the real lesson here.

As far as kratom for buprenorphine withdrawal, it should work ok for low to moderate levels of withdrawal. Ive never used it for buprenorphine withdrawal but it has worked like a dream for other opioid withdrawal syndromes. But use powder cause you'll need alot, and you'll need it often.

Kratom relieves 70-90% of low to moderate level withdrawal symptoms and can take the edge off of somewhat severe withdrawal. It doesn't work well for treating very severe withdrawal, like methadone or IV heroin. I've tried it for heroin withdrawal and it was actually more trouble than it was worth. For everything else it's very useful. Kratom has the most mild withdrawal of any opioid known to man. This is because it is a short acting partial agonist, and more importantly, a g-protein biased partial agonist.

I've said this many times.

Kratom is not a good drug to directly withdrawal on and depend on. IT WILL HELP, but only so much. If you go directly from strong opioids to kratom expecting it to save you and get you just as high you are only bound to be disappointed.

Kratom is best used for PAWS. Try going cold turkey for a few days then tell me kratom doesn't help. Kratom is not and shouldn't be used as a stepping stone direct from subs -> kratom.

Used correctly it has, in my case, helped me from relapsing on opioids and is heaven sent if used for that purpose.

There is no magic cure to get off opioids/subs, only hard work and will.

I have kicked morphine, oxycodone, buprenorphine and kratom. Obviously I had relapses but at the moment I am clean for a year after kicking 3 years of buprenorphine. In the past have used kratom to detox from oxycodone and my overall experience is that kratom can help you up to certain level.

If one is taking, for example, 300mg of oxycodone and then goes straight to kratom, kratom will not help sufficiently. I would say that same goes for buprenorphine if daily dose is high and one is taking buprenorphine for longer time (more than 6 months). Simply kratom is not so potent and can not cover fully large tolerances. But if one is taking 100mg of oxycodone or less than kratom, first in higher doses than tapering down, can really help with detoxing from oxycodone.

I have replaced 80-120mg oxycodone daily with kratom and while I still had insomnia, sweating, feeling cold and other symptoms - the withdrawal was very manageable. I had to kick kratom by tapering and a week of kratom withdrawal but that was also very manageable. The trick us to taper opioid one uses to levels that are below 100mg oxycodone. Then take kratom in high doses (like 10 grams of bali or thai every 6 hours) and taper down kratom after one is stable enough. For some opioids one will have to use kratom longer for other shorter, as duration of withdrawal differ from opioi to opioid. But do not expect that you can jump from
even only 50mg oxycodone daily to kratom and have no symptoms of withdrawal. Again, kratom is not that potent and it is partial agonist.

Regarding quiting buprenorphine the best thing would be to taper down to 1mg daily and then switch to kratom. I tapered to 0.5mg and had a very difficult and long withdrawal. Not as violent as oxycodone or morphine withdrawal but so long that insomnia, anxiety and other symptoms were really hard to cope with. I have not used kratom for buprenorphine withdrawal as I was determined to stop opioids all together. But the principle regarding kratom is same - taper as low as you can and then jump to kratom.

I firmly believe that if one tapers buprenorphine to 1mg daily (but really taper to that dose and be stable on it) that kratom will help him greatly. If one is taking 4mg or more of buprenorphine and stops, kratom will help, but the intensity and duration of withdrawal will make it look that it is not helping at all.

It all boils down to tolerance, but kratom can definitely help.