• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom for opiate withdrawl

Britt_bratt

Bluelighter
So I have been using kratom for the past 4 days to help elivate my opiate withdrawls and WOW it works tremendously. I usually take 1 spoonful when I get up (about 4-5grams) and do the same in the evening. Literally takes almost all of my withdrawls away.. so taking about 10grams daily. Anyways here's my question, if I stop using kratom after 5 days will I experience any WDs from the kratom?! And does the kratom just prolong the initial opiate withdraws so when I stop taking it will I go back to feeling like complete shit again?! Please help!!! Much love and HAPPY CANADA DAY 150!!! <3

Great topic, Britt I'd love to have more info as well.
BTW I see your wishes for Canada, I'm in Montreal, South shore. Where you at if you don't mind telling? I was under the idea that you were in UK with the name chosen
Cheers and my best wishes of peaceful moods.

Lama

In my experience you won't have any physical withdrawals from Kratom, unless you use it for at least a month or so. So you should be fine hopping off if you haven't been using Kratom for a long time. You may get a mental craving or feeling of boredom, but that's just the start of Kratom addiction, you shouldn't have any physical symptoms, except maybe diarrhea. You could get withdrawals if you keep using so be careful. Depending on the size of your habit, I would suggest stopping Kratom after day 4.

I would taper. It's the best way. You may have only used kratom for 4 days but you were hitting opioid receptors before that for however long you were using. So if you quit cold turkey you will most likely feel withdrawals. Probably not near as bad as if you stayed on stronger opioids, but a taper will minimize discomfort.

Great topic, Britt I'd love to have more info as well.
BTW I see your wishes for Canada, I'm in Montreal, South shore. Where you at if you don't mind telling? I was under the idea that you were in UK with the name chosen
Cheers and my best wishes of peaceful moods.

Lama
I'm living just outside of Toronto!

I would taper. It's the best way. You may have only used kratom for 4 days but you were hitting opioid receptors before that for however long you were using. So if you quit cold turkey you will most likely feel withdrawals. Probably not near as bad as if you stayed on stronger opioids, but a taper will minimize discomfort.
How would I do a taper off kratom? I went back out and used opiates for another month and now I'm trying to clean up again. Today is day 6 and I have been using kratom all day for these withdrawals. I take about 5grqms in the morning, another 5 or so in the afternoon and about the same at night before bed. And a lil extra throughout the day if needed. So now I'm scared I will be dependent on it so I need to know how and when to start tapering I'm so sick of being confined to a substance to get through my day.

If it is really a struggle, I wouldn't worry about becoming "dependent" to kratom. Obviously, dependency isn't good, but kratom is the lesser of the two evils. I would worry about finding the proper dose of kratom to curb your w/d and just stick to that dose for a month or so.
Let your body adjust to that consistent dose, and rid the opiate "toxins". Kratom w/d really aren't nearly as terrible as any other opioid/opiate. When ever you want to come off kratom, just reduce the dosage by a 1.0g - 0.5g every few days; subtle. Since it is legal and fairly cheap, I would personally suggest a long taper since there is no reason to discomfort yourself. But hey, it just depends on what works for you, this is just what I would do for myself and what I think could work for others. In the end, I wish the best of luck to you, pal.

If it is really a struggle, I wouldn't worry about becoming "dependent" to kratom. Obviously, dependency isn't good, but kratom is the lesser of the two evils. I would worry about finding the proper dose of kratom to curb your w/d and just stick to that dose for a month or so.
Let your body adjust to that consistent dose, and rid the opiate "toxins". Kratom w/d really aren't nearly as terrible as any other opioid/opiate. When ever you want to come off kratom, just reduce the dosage by a 1.0g - 0.5g every few days; subtle. Since it is legal and fairly cheap, I would personally suggest a long taper since there is no reason to discomfort yourself. But hey, it just depends on what works for you, this is just what I would do for myself and what I think could work for others. In the end, I wish the best of luck to you, pal.
Thanks for the reply!!
I was almost thinking the same as you! Rather stay on kratom for a while than be railing high doses of oxy and smoking fent./h.
Thanks for the taper advice! I will deff be trying it out sometime.. what would your thoughts be on one dosing once daily in the morning for the rest of their lives or for a long while anyways? It's cheap and easy to obtain(so far, unless canada tries to make it illegal) my boyfriend plans on going this route, where as im still weary of it because I will still be "dependent" but maybe it's not terrible cause it's keeping me away from the harder drugs. And clearly better than any maintenance drugs that are out there... I dose quite frequently now 3-4 times daily about 5g each time and I would like to start tapering soon but am thinking maybe just eventually keep it at a dose in the morning for a while. Thoughts? Thanks for all your advice!!! ☺️

While I do agree that Kratom is the lesser of 2 evils, I wouldn't recommend taking it more than 2 weeks, let alone the rest of your life. You can become dependent and even addicted to Kratom that will have you experiencing WDs (just search this site). Two weeks of Kratom should be enough to get past the acute stage.

While I do agree that Kratom is the lesser of 2 evils, I wouldn't recommend taking it more than 2 weeks, let alone the rest of your life. You can become dependent and even addicted to Kratom that will have you experiencing WDs (just search this site). Two weeks of Kratom should be enough to get past the acute stage.
Yes I am quite aware of this and that's why I'm so concerned about continuing to take it. I'm going to try my best to taper off now since I have been using it for the past 7 days. Time to start decreasing dosing and I hope to god i won't endure any more withdrawal .. thanks for the advice!!

Took a dose of kratom before bed lastnight around 1030, smoked a bit of weed and took a Valium to sleep. Slept great!!! Wokeup this morning around 845..and didn't feel my usually skin crawly "antsy" anxiety I have been meeting everyday I get out of bed since I stared my withdrawal a week ago. So I have decided to not take any kratom (which is usually the very first thing I do before I get out of bed) instead I felt great enough to just get out of my bed and finally make a "real" coffee!!! (Haven't had a "real" coffee with any caffeine in it all week since I know it can make anxiety from withdrawal worse) so I'm gona just relax and see how long I can go without dosing any kratom. Hoping I can go all day/night! That would be a miricale then I would just not take anymore ever again and be done with all!!.. hopefully! ..I'll keep everyone posted!

It's not a miracle, it's a benzo. Of course you're feeling less anxiety if you took a long acting anxiety medication. Not that it's a bad thing that you took it, I am not opposed to doing everything it takes to lessen withdrawal, I'm just saying I wouldn't count on that being the end of it.

my apology, I head in my head that you were coming off of suboxone. If you're coming off shorter acting opiates, then you're right, you feeling better this morning is likely to be the light at the end of the tunnel. Good for you!

It's not a miracle, it's a benzo. Of course you're feeling less anxiety if you took a long acting anxiety medication. Not that it's a bad thing that you took it, I am not opposed to doing everything it takes to lessen withdrawal, I'm just saying I wouldn't count on that being the end of it.

my apology, I head in my head that you were coming off of suboxone. If you're coming off shorter acting opiates, then you're right, you feeling better this morning is likely to be the light at the end of the tunnel. Good for you!
Yes I was thinking the benzo helped also but today had been much different. Took a benzo the other night as well and still wokeup with bad anxiety and that skin crawly, rls feeling. Today is much diff I haven't dosed with kratom either and I'm still feeling pretty "normal" I guess I have finally turned the corner and I guess I wasn't "dependent" on the kratom yet. I just hope this continues and I don't need the kratom or benzo anymore!! But yes I was coming off of oxy, fentynal powder and h. I will keep everyone posted how the rest of the day/few days go. I hope I'm out of the woods and no longer need the kratom to curb the withdrawals. I was so terrified to become dependent on the kratom...