• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom and Opioid Tolerance

elstongunn39

Bluelighter
So I've been on a sort of opioid binge this week which is sort of new for me and I've been trying to avoid withdrawals. I've been doing a schedule of two days on opioids, then kratom on my day off of opioid, then two days on opioids, then two days on kratom. I thought this would be good because kratom withdrawal is different than standard opioid withdrawal but I'm kinda fiending/experiencing mild withdrawal symptoms tbh. Please let me ( a complete noob) know about the interaction between kratom tolerance and opioids and also good chipping schedules

Kratom can have very noticeable withdrawal symptoms. Happened to me plenty of times. I get cold, irritable, and cant sleep. Should go away with a week or so of not using either. Its surprising that you are feeling that after only 1 week though. What opioids have you been using?

How long has this been going on?

kratom is an opioid and has high affinity for mu receptor. opiates are strictly derived from papaver somniferum. It has cross tolerance and the routine you describe will most certainly lead to physiological dependence. That's a choice you've got to make. Opioid addiction is quickly all consuming.

Regardless of opioid ingested, you are still activating mu receptors daily and they will become habituated to this.

I have used red veins for 2 years daily to control chronic pain. I typically take 10-15 grams twice daily.

It definitely helps relieve the pain but it's no Rx opioid.

Kratom has somewhat of a ceiling effect, meaning once you've ingested and the effects present, ingesting more will not necessarily lead to more pain relief. in my experience it does extend the duration.

I have also found that kratom has interfered significantly with my ability to benefit from weaker Rx opioids like hydrocodone. 20mg is needed to even register an effect. About 40mg needed to actually relieve pain. 20mg used to be sufficient in a single dose.

There are purported alkaloids with opioid antagonist properties. I've noticed that Rx opioids have become less effective steadily over time as daily kratom consumption continued.

Also, even if I do take 20-30mg hydrocodone I still feel I am missing something. So clearly there are other alkaloids present with addictive properties.

Kratom works well and is currently legal. It has been a true life saver for me. In a world where getting legitimate pain management is near impossible, kratom has proven invaluable. I pray that it remains legal. My pain has become much more manageable since I began ingesting kratom regularly. Just be aware that it does not come without wanted and unwanted secondary effects typical to all opioids.

I do feel the need to say that, IMO at least, kratom is fairly physiologically addictive. If I skip a dose of experience withdrawl akin to Rx opioid withdrawl, though not as bad. I kicked a 5 year heroin habit about a decade ago so I'm familiar with withdrawl

There is plenty of information online about the alkaloids in kratom and their effects. I encourage you to do some research. Red veins tend to produce the most opioid like effects - Bali, Indo etc

Kratom can feel rather serotonergic, especially in the first 60-90 mins post ingestion. I find it similar to tramadol. This feeling used to alarm me and was more pronounced with higher doses of course. The feeling tails off into a sedation with opioid effects. I've found redosing a worth while endeavor anywhere 4 hours post initial dose.

elston- what other opioids are you using? What dosage? What is your kratom dosage?

Last edited:
Kratom withdrawals are almost exactly like opiates withdrawals for me. Just a tad more bearable. I used to put the stem of the plant with the leaf when i would taper off kratom.

I would honestly just taper your full agonist opiates as low as you can and then switch to kratom only. With the kratom I would take as much as you need to feel well for the first week without pharmaceuticals. (Maybe 5g every 4-6 hours?)

Then taper the kratom slowly week by week. The great thing with kratom withdrawal is its short duration. For me it is about 2-3 days max.