KNOWYOURROLL(or anyone), GHB vs GBL

heads

Bluelighter
When I first started making GHB I got the GBL first. I tried, but couldn't find a co. that would send the NaOH unless it was through a business. Anyway, I got impatient and did the GBL. It is like dirty GHB, but still fun. It tastes like absolute shit, and is harder on your stomach. It's still cool though, but when you do the GHB you realize how much cleaner it feels. Also you only take a very, very, small amount of the GBL. If you can get the NaOH easily just make the GHB and do it. Also, NaOH is simple to get, go to any major grocery store and look for Red Devil Lye, it is a drain cleaner(I know they have it at Food Lion). It is 100% NaOH. NaOH is Lye, look it up on the web if you don't believe me. I have used this tons of times, and works perfectly. Also there are some bunk directions on the web, but the one at the lycaeum web site works.
Hope shit works out for you. I love my G.
peace, head

Dude, be careful using that Red Devil Lye. As far as I am aware, the sodium hydroxide should be labelled as pharma. grade. I think the assay should be 97.7% or higher. I can double check all that if you want.
Not totally sure of this, but I DO REMEMBER being told that you shouldn't use that kind of low grade product in the manufacture of GHB.
Peace out,
Jonesy

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely recommend using pure NaOH from a chemical co., but I can't get it. I called at least 10 different places in Va and they said it was a controlled substance and can't be mailed to an individual, has to be through a business. The Lye DOES work though, I was sketchy about it at first too, but it seems to work perfectly. It says 100% on the bottle(I'm sure it isn't, but is probably pretty close). I've had stuff made with NaOH too, and it's the same.
peace, head

Red Devil Lye is good to go for GHB sunthesis. I was very hesitant at first, but I, too, had difficulty obtaining so-called "pharmaceutical-grade NaOH."
My tesimony using Red Devil Lye: Just made 2 pounds of the stuff, and it's in white paste form (used too little distilled water, oops..) But still very nicely made G. No major differences with respect to physiological effects and all...

thanks, I am having trouble here getting reagent grade NaOH too. I will try that. (if my GBL ever gets here). The company said they ship next day two-day priority mail, and it has been a week and I havent seen it yet.

Hmmm NaOH and KOH have never been "controlled substances". They are selling them for cheap at chem suply stores. (9 bucks for NaOK and 12 bucks for KOH, per pound!, reagent grade: 99.7% pure) Any chem supply store would do.
Hello, both of these bases are beng used in virtually every single high school and first-year-college chem experiments... How the heck can they being "controlled"?
Only danger from base is its corrosive property! And that does not worth a "controlled substance" status.
Goofie,

Bad, bad BAD idea
frown.gif

Yes, the bottle says 100% lye, but since it is not being used for anything but dumping down a drain, they don't exactly go out of their way to make sure there are no impurities. Hell, it could be all the leftover stuff from the chem manufacturer that wasn't pure enough to be sold to labs/photo shops. A "100%" stamp on a bottle of drain cleaner is not an assay. PLEASE be safe, the last thing you want to be doing is loading up on heavy metals and who knows what else.
Search the web for chemical supply companies and order "purified sodium hydroxide pellets, ACS" online. Nobody to talk to, most are no questions asked. Order some dinky stuff like plastic beakers or something to go along with it if you think only ordering NaOH looks suspicous
wink.gif

only NaOH i can get at local supply stores is 50%rayon soln. or 50%regulare solution. I dont know why they dont carry it.

Hmmmm why would you bother with NaOH solution?
If you have any chem knowledge, pick up the pellets bottle.
sciencealliance.com does have it.

People concerned about using Red Devil Lye:
No one truly knows what contitute the so-called impurities of Red Devil Lye. Assay level, pharmaceutical grade, re-agent grade? I agree these terms are valid and should be taken literally in chem labs and among chem-speak people.
But as far as GHB synthesis is considered, these loosely-used terms carry little significance.
Consider these points:
1) Red Devil Lye does not contain heavy metals. (Only its factory quality control measures would invalidate this statement.)
2) Impurities people refer to, as far as GHB synthesis is considered, are so generally defined as to preclude a well-founded agreement among lay people. What is exactly an impurity to a chemist? A certain weight measurement of NaOH is not found to be 100% sodium hydroxide, at a molecular level? Or any other minute substances other than NaOH (consider just a sodium- variant that lost its ring attachment to a hydroxide) is in there to define it conclusively an impurity?
I'm confused as hell too...But my three college years of chemistry experience tells me that Red Devil Lye is safe to use...Science Alliance stuff and others of that quality are used as re-agent purposes (as someone mentioned) for high-quality lab-controlled NaOH-agent products involving quality multi-step lab procedures (you're looking at a combination of more than a dozen other chemicals)...Keep in mind that factories use the stuff and if then individuals, in most cases, for experiment purposes (as aforementioned by another).
Also keep in mind that assay and all these grade terms are of liability (possible lawsuits from contamination) and legal-related issues to be faced and recked with by and among companies using NaOH as a re-agent.
My point is this:
NaOH + GBL = GHB...Very simple procedure....What happends when you combine the two? Na of NaOH breaks apart with OH and becomes sodium...this is why it tastes salty......and the fallen OH rearranges itself (with distilled water as a solvent) and attaches to GBL. All the while GBL changes its molecular ring structures and combines with hydro to form gamma hydroxybutyrate....
The most-worse scenario using Red Devil is this, I think: You come up with less GHB than you expected, some unreacted GBL, and and some other inactive chemicals, if any, that were found in Red Devil Lye Container...How dangerous are these inactive chemicals, if they exist in that lye can? probably as dangerous if you were to drink tap water, i think...

NaOH is a controlled substance. I know it's used in tons of chem classes, but that doesn't make it not a controlled substance. I also know classes that you liquid nitrogen and study radioactive material, doesn't mean you can order that shit.. It might be just in Va, but I tried hard as shit to get it, trust me, and had no luck. As far as impure, it says 100%, which it obviously isn't, but I'm sure it's close. It's definitely hard as shit to get the NaOH, and Lye is NaOH, so why not use it. Like I said, do some research and you'll know what I'm talking about.
peace, head