View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Knock, Knock. Who's There? Cop Posing As Postman With Ecstasy Delivery

FunctionalOlfactio

Bluelighter
By R. Scott Moxley Thu., May 22 2014 at 8:45 AM

Four days before his 23rd birthday in 2013, Minh Phu Tran walked away from his bedroom computer and an Internet chat with a pal about good party drugs, answered the doorbell at his Placentia home and accepted what appeared to be a U.S. Postal Service delivery of a package he'd been expecting.

The sender in the Netherlands had labeled the contents of the package as "documents."

In reality, it contained an aluminum enclosure hiding more than 500 grams of the designer, party drug Ecstasy.

Whatever high Tran experienced when he opened the package didn't last long.

The delivery person was a Department of Homeland Security agent dressed like a postman.

Agents quickly raided Tran's Lee Place house, recovered the illegal narcotics as well as drug dealer props: packaging, drug purity test kit, cash and scales.

Unbeknownst to Tran, he'd been under surveillance by members of a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement task force for receiving numerous other international packages containing Ecstasy pills and powder.

This week inside Orange County's Ronald Reagan Federal Courthouse, prosecutors sought a punishment of nearly two years in prison, but U.S. District Court Judge Cormac J. Carney decided the appropriate term matched the recommendation by Tustin-based defense attorney Brian N. Gurwitz: 12 months and one day.

Tran, who is presently free from custody on bail, has until noon on June 30 to self surrender to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

Source: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/05/ecstasy_orange_county.php

thats one good thing living in the sticks same postie every day if that changed i just wouldn't sign for it simple as

Im glad homeland security is chasing down small time drug dealers8)

I don't agree with jail time of course.. but 12 months for importing multiple shipments for sale seems like a nice lite sentence.

I'm not saying he or anybody should go to prison for mdma, but considering he was ordering 500 grams I'm sure he knew the risks of what he was getting into. He wasn't just some kid selling small amounts to support his habit and share with his friends. He's pretty lucky he just got 12 months. Lots of poor souls have done way more time for way less weight.

What a waste of police time.
Go find some rapists and killers.

This.

But the kid was kind of an idiot. Ordering half a kilo from the Netherlands (along with other packages) to his front door, signing it with his own name? Not sure what he expected, he was just asking to get busted.

12 months is a long time for some kid who's never been locked up before, and by the sounds of it never personally associated with any major criminal culture. I guess it depends on where he ends up, are we talking Orange is the New Black or are we talking Oz?

But the kid was kind of an idiot. Ordering half a kilo from the Netherlands (along with other packages) to his front door, signing it with his own name? Not sure what he expected, he was just asking to get busted.

That sums it up nicely.

By R. Scott Moxley Thu., May 22 2014 at 8:45 AM

Agents quickly raided Tran's Lee Place house, recovered the illegal narcotics as well as drug dealer props: packaging, drug purity test kit, cash and scales.

The next guy probably won't bother bother to test it. This kid sounds like he actually cares about his customers.