• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Klonopin questions.

brycewise

Greenlighter
Is Klonopin similar to SSRIs in that it requires a daily "maintenance". In the past I had been prescribed both Alprazolam and Lexapro for insomnia and anxiety. The Alprazolam worked when I wanted its effect and stopped having the effect when I didn't want the tranquilizer effect. Lexapro didn't help with anxiety but created a continuous dull feeling that was the worst of both worlds... nothing feels exciting anymore but Its not strong enough and I still have the insomnia and anxiety.

Does Klonopin work in an "as needed" fashion similar to Alprazolam or is it where you have to take two a day and experience a constant dulling/ tranquilizer effect similar to Lexapro?

This is piggy backing off a previous question I asked.... here is the link to that http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/794839-Benzo-comparrison-questions-from-new-user

Been prescribed to both Xanax and klonopin, even together at one point.
Alprazolam works relatively fast in comparison to clonazepam, however, clonazepam is longer acting.
I've personally found that unless you're a daily user, clonazepam works as needed, it just takes longer to kick in, and it doesn't feel at all like the immediate effects of Xanax.
Also, the longer I've been on one or the other the less relief I feel from any sort of anxiety because of rebound anxiety/obsessive thinking coupled with irritability and an increased inability to sleep.
If there is something to be gained from this post, efficacy is lost with everyday use or overuse.

kpins work better as needed for me, though they aren't nearly as effective as xanax. i take them daily and as needed, though so that might be why.

Yea...Would allowing it to dissolve sublingually create an "instant" effect similar to Xanax? I used Xanax before for about 6 months and stopped abruptly without a withdrawal problem. Having said that, If I can find one that provides a similar effect, that's effects lasts a bit longer reducing the frequency It would be taken, and has been shown to produce less severe withdrawal symptoms that would be great. I guess its more of a "pick your poison" situation.

Haha the beauty of benzos is that they ALL have a similar effect with duration and potency being the main that differences people tend to obsess over.

It should work similarly to Xanax with very slight differences.

Clonazepam (Klonopin) as well as all other Benzodiazepines are not like SSRI's in this way. The effects from Benzodiazepines, including Clonazepam are more or less instantaneous, meaning, that once you consume the pill the full effects will be felt in a matter of minutes-hours (depending upon the Benzo), closer to hours due to Clonazepam's long duration of action.

In fact, taking Benzodiazepines occasionally is probably the best way of taking them. By only taking them as needed, you can avoid tolerance and dependence much easier.

I am not well versed in Aplrzolam (Xnax use).

But I am in Diazepam and Clonazepam use. I recently changed my prescription from Diazeoam to Clonazepam as they simply works much better for me. They give you a long, stable feeling of relaxation. Where as shorter acting benzo's hit me hard right after I took them but then a little later they hit me has hard again increasing to anxiety tenfold.

Benzodiazepines works VERY differently from person to person, So different that it is hard tuse use other people recommendations. You will have go get your own experiences with benzo's and see which one is the best for you. But Clonazepam is definitely a good place to start.

Be very careful of your use of benzo's. DO NOT GET ADDICTED To THEM. It is a night mare and is isn't something I would wish even my worst enemy to go through. So be careful with your use okay?

But use right, benzo's can increas the quality of life very much. So find the balance where you take benzo's when you need them but hopefully not each day. If you suffer from anxiety you should get an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist as they can give you methods that will help you handle your issues.

In fact, taking Benzodiazepines occasionally is probably the best way of taking them. By only taking them as needed, you can avoid tolerance and dependence much easier.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. The concern I had was I dint want the effect to be constant like it was with an SSRI.

There are times when the calming effect useful, and that the only time I want that effect. If it was continuous that would be counter productive for me, and I did hear of a Klonopin user describe it as being similar to "having the effects of a Xanax all the time" .

Be very careful of your use of benzo's. DO NOT GET ADDICTED To THEM. It is a night mare and is isn't something I would wish even my worst enemy to go through. So be careful with your use okay?

But use right, benzo's can increas the quality of life very much. So find the balance where you take benzo's when you need them but hopefully not each day. If you suffer from anxiety you should get an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist as they can give you methods that will help you handle your issues.[/QUOTE]

Its really anxiety of having insomnia... either one causes the other. I have tried all of the "mind tricks" like thinking about beaches or deep breathing. That's just a self defeating exercise of futility to me. I know why I'm thinking about a beach, Its to avoid thinking about my insomnia. Is all thinking about a beach does is remind me of the same problem that thinking about a beach to distract me from thinking about

The risks associated with benzos are a big part of my questions on the site... I have used them before and didn't have a problem with withdrawal symptoms, actually SSRIs were far worse in that regard... except with none of benefits. But I don't think that not having a problem in the past means that I am immune to the risks associated with benzos... I'm trying to determine if the benefits that it has provided in the past are worth the risks I could potentially encounter in the future.

While I would consult with a doctor to help me with that decision, what ever treatment a doctor thinks would work the best is less important to me then what I think will work best. They may be an expert in medicine but I'm an expert in me.

Last edited:
^ There's an "edit" button you can click, to fix your fuck up.

Yes klonopin is perfect for "as needed". Onset of action is quite fast.

- Hopeless

^ There's an "edit" button you can click, to fix your fuck up.

Yes klonopin is perfect for "as needed". Onset of action is quite fast.

- Hopeless
What are you talking about? I didn't see where I "fucked up" as you put it. Also, if you understood what I meant, then I guess its understandable without any editing.... So Save the sharpshooting for someone else.

- No one likes a self appointed Elitist.

Last edited:
^ Your qoute brackets were off.. see your last post where you qouted me, how it showed up nicely? Now look at your post before, where you attempted to qoute someone..

I wasn't trying to be condescending, just throwing a little information your way, but it's up to you how youd like to interpret it..

- SS373dOH Soul

I've popped K-Pins under my tongue (I think 5 of them) and doing it sublingually like you would with those tiny lorazepams. I found those tiny 1mgs perfect and they actually taste sweet. Compare that to the taste of a Xanax lol. As far as the "high", it hit quicker and more powerfully but not in a xanax way. This felt uplifting, almost euphoric effect compared to swallowing so if you like it - do it up that way. But be warned it reduces the amount of time you will actively feel the substance. So do you want to get quick and really high but be good for dinner? Put them under your tongue. If you want that float like happy feeling for hours - take them orally. This is how it works with me anyways.

The only benefit over xanax that klonopin has is it will have the anxiolytic effects for a longer period of time. If you experience anxiety/panic attacks multiple times throughout the day klonpin has the benefit of only needing to take one dose maybe two for an entire day (in my experience). I had panic attacks multiple times a day every day so I always woke up and took one and took one again 8-10 hours later if I felt I would need it. The xanax is better if your anxiety/panic attacks are spread further apart so that way your not popping pills throughout the day. So in my case, yes it was a "maintenance" med since without it I suffered 3-4 panic attacks a day.