• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Klonopin causing insomnia???

JayJolie

Bluelighter
So, I had gone off my Klonopin for 3 weeks...just to see if I could do it. It was hard, but not as bad as previous experiences. I'm doing one more month of the taper before I quit forever. Anyway, I started taking my Klonopin again 2 days ago and I have barely slept since. I've never had trouble sleeping while on Klonopin so I don't understand. So the last 2 nights were exactly the same. Never felt sleepy, but knew it was time to go to bed. Had moderate problems falling asleep. Wake up every 45minutes-1 or 2 hours. Having really lucid dreams. Grinding my teeth in the night to the point where my jaw hurts. Sleeping a total of maybe 4-5 hours over an 8-9 hour period of time. Finally giving in and just getting up at 4 or 5am. My whole body feels sore, my muscles feel tense, my teeth and jaws hurt. I don't feel particularly sleepy. Does anyone know anything about this? Gone through this? This side effect totally goes against everything I'm used to and I've been on Klonopin for over 5 years. I'm so confused.

Have you tried taking an OTC sleep med with it? There are some good ones out there! I have been taking klonopin for over 5 years now and some nights it just doesn't cut it on its own and I usually have to take something like melatonin or diphenhydramine (sleepinal capsules) along with it. Insomnia is a royal bitch to deal with, trust me I know!

I took Tylenol PM one night and Valarian Root last night. All for naught. I've only ever experienced insomnia when I withdraw from Klonopin so this is confusing me. And, as I stated earlier, I had put myself through a 3 week detox where I didn't sleep at all. So I would've thought my body would be so exhausted that I would sleep like a rock. I do go through spells of insomnia every so often. My Dr gave me Belsomra, but I don't like to take it. Although, if I don't sleep again tonight, I may have to.

Damn, that is rough. hope you figure out a way to get some sleep. there are tons of great sleep meds out there both OTC and prescription. I was prescribed to ambien at one point while also being on suboxone and 4mg of kpin a day but I had heard lots of bad shit about it and just tossed the script and stuck with my normal meds and sometimes melatonin or sleepinal and it ended working out. Good luck though.

I took clonazepam for the better part of a decade and while three weeks seems like a good break for benzos IMO it isn't. It may be that five years of use has built up a sturdy tolerance to where your typical dose even with 3 weeks off just isn't cutting it anymore. I don't know your dose but have personally taken way over my limit before. Maybe consider asking your prescriber if an extra 0.5-1mg at bedtime is ok and see if it resolves the issue.

Oh, I can't up my dose. I already take 2 2mgs a day. And 3 weeks of withdrawals was hell. Not as bad as other times so I think my tapering off method is working. The plan is to, hopefully, be off it by end of September.

What about taking the same amount in a day but a smaller dose in the AM and the rest at night?

I did that yesterday and I slept great! Did it again today, hopefully the sleep continues! Thanks all!