• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Klonopin and Seizures

Mr Dobalina

Ex-Bluelighter
How effective is Klonopin at preventing seizures?
I was given Klonopin in Hospital when I had my first seizure.
My second seizure I was given nothing.

I have seen a neurologist and am now on Lamictal.
I dont want to take Lamictal as it blocks the effects of most drugs.

How does Klonopin compare to Diazepam at preventing seizures?
Klonopin must be pretty good seeing as they gave me it in Hospital.

Last edited:
in preventing them clonazepam is quite effective thanks to their potency and the length of their duration, but in actively stopping a seizure in progress they come on a bit too slowly - perhaps a triazolam or xanax would be a more appropriate benzo for that job?

^He's trying to prevent them, not stop them.

Mr. Dobalina, you probably know as much as we do at this point. It is a very effective anticonvulsant, clearly. But it could still be a case of playing with fire if you're prone to seizures. The phrase that comes to mind is "what goes up, must come down". A simplistic interpretation of what you will be doing with regards to your seizure threshold; but an apt one.

Clonazepam is an especially powerful anticonvulsant benzo and is used in treatment of epilepsy (usually in combination with some other anti-epileptic drug). It has a long duration and half life.

Diazepam is also a powerful anticonvulsant and is used IV in treatment of acute seizures and status epilepticus. IV it has an extremely rapid onset, almost immediately. Orally it has a much faster onset than clonazepam.

Basically, both are very effective at preventing seizures. Diazepam is more suitable for acute seizures due to its rapid onset, and clonazepam is used more generally for epilepsy (taking it continuously, although there is debate whether continuous use leads to tolerance to the anticonvulsant effects). Since clonazepam has a slow onset, it is not usually used for acute seizures unless given IV (which is quite rare here, diazepam is the first line of choice).

Both clonazepam and diazepam are some of the most effective and powerful anticonvulsants in existance. So to answer your question, yes, clonazepam is very effective at preventing seizures.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'll stick with Diazepam as I have a script for it.
Klonopin I have to buy off the street at stupid prices.