• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Klonopin and lime juice? Synergistic?

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
Have been prescribed Klonopin for over a year now and have experimented with Grapefruits and their juice in the past as it's actually my favorite fruit but have never had much luck with it potentiating. Maybe has something to do with my meals or very possibly insulin.

But today while looking in my fridge I found a bottle of pure lime juice and was wondering if this would have any effect. Tried looking it up and apparently it has even more potent effects on the p450 enzymes than grapefruit juice but could anyone with some knowledge on this tell me if that really means anything big for the combo? I can't find any information on lime juice with Klonopin at all.

I decided to put two pills under my tongue and drip some lime juice onto them so I guess I'll know soon if there's any change but I also don't know if you need to swallow them for it to work.

That's actually really neat. Supposedly lime juice is way more potent than grapejuice for inhibiting CYP3A4. I guess it could have an effect, but I have no idea how much of that stuff you would have to drink.

It wouldn't surprise me if this worked, but I'm not positive on it. Compounds known as Furanocoumarins and to a lesser extent, Flavanoids found within grapefruit are believed to be responsible for the "Grapefruit Effect" in regards to medication. Grapefruits are actually a hyrbid of two fruits, one being a Sweet Orange and the other being a Pomelo, a citrus fruit native to East/Southeast Asia. Pomelo and its genetic descendants are generally rich in Furanocoumarins like Bergamottin, which among others, is responsible for the medication mediating effects of the fruit.

Limes, certain lime relatives and other citrus fruits of all varieties have varying levels of these compounds and it would be hard to perform an experiment with any sort of control considering we're dealing with whole fruits. Why not acquire a few different fruits and try some though? Sadly, however, I doubt that if an actual grapefruit didn't really serve your purposes that lime will. The potentiation from grapefruit has never been anything stronger than 10% for myself and I'm being generous with that figure. It would be irresponsible to say that it did absolutely nothing.

Well, it may have been a coincidence but i think it might have worked. Normally when I'm mad or anxious or in pain I'll take one 1mg pill sublingually and leave it till it melts and it always works great to just keep me relaxed. Last night I put two .5mg pills under my tongue and dropped probably an ounce of lime juice onto them which made the pills melt way faster and kept it in my mouth for like 10 minutes.

About 35 minutes later I was hardly able to walk, eyes were small, I remember getting some food and changing clothes but then must have blacked out until waking up about 4 hours later on my bed on top of the blankets (which the weird part is I must have made my bed before laying on top of them) and the tv was still on with all the lights.

Basically the exact thing an Ambien does to me. i can try it again in a couple days once my tolerance goes down but I think the lime juice may have worked.

And to anyone who doesn't want to try it how I did cause lime juice is so sour. If the pills are still in your mouth the sour is overtaken by the mint of the klonopin in like 5 seconds.

Xanax would probably be HORRIBLE though.

interesting.. I have lime juice, and klonopins might have to give this a go.. my tolerance is stupid high to kpin or just benzos in general because I have been on them daily for like over 5 years now.. klonopin does taste AWESOME though! its literally like eating a piece of candy! I chew them, solely for the awesome taste and quicker onset as well, but I loooove the taste of kpin.. Xanax tastes like vomit to me lol.. it is the WORST tasting benzo I have ever tried, or actually the worst tasting ANY DRUG I have taken... and that is saying something.. couldn't do it sublingually, I would throw up and lose it all..

interesting.. I have lime juice, and klonopins might have to give this a go.. my tolerance is stupid high to kpin or just benzos in general because I have been on them daily for like over 5 years now.. klonopin does taste AWESOME though! its literally like eating a piece of candy! I chew them, solely for the awesome taste and quicker onset as well, but I loooove the taste of kpin.. Xanax tastes like vomit to me lol.. it is the WORST tasting benzo I have ever tried, or actually the worst tasting ANY DRUG I have taken... and that is saying something.. couldn't do it sublingually, I would throw up and lose it all..

Oddly enough I can't think of a pill I don't think tastes good. I used to sub whatever Xanax I got ahold of back in high school. I even take my Ambien sublingually and that's slightly worse. But the lime added in, now that would be baaaaaaad.

You should try the lime juice thing though. I want to know if I just placebo'd myself or if it really did work better. I haven't ever blacked out on Klonopin before and I've gone up to 3.5mg before but this 1mg did it for me this time. Not sure whether you want to take less and see if you get the same effects as normal though or add it onto your normal dose and see how much better it is. But don't swallow the lime juice though, keep it with the klonopin in your mouth till they dissolve.

Interesting. I'm no expert, but I think for lime juice to have any potentiation via enzyme inhibition you would need to consume more lime juice, and you would need to consume it awhile before taking the Klonopin to have the maximum potentiation.

It takes awhile for the enzymes to be properly inhibited. This is why people generally say to drink grapefruit juice like 30-45 minutes prior to ingestion of the drug.

But who knows, I'm no expert. Maybe both the lime juice and Klonopin being absorbed sublingual is doing the trick. Atleast it seems to be the case for you.

Or possibly the addition of the lime juice in your mouth is just aiding the absorption of the Klonopin sublingually. So maybe no (or very little) actual enzyme inhibition is occurring, maybe the drug is just absorbing faster? Or a little of both? Dunno.

Interesting. I'm no expert, but I think for lime juice to have any potentiation via enzyme inhibition you would need to consume more lime juice, and you would need to consume it awhile before taking the Klonopin to have the maximum potentiation.

It takes awhile for the enzymes to be properly inhibited. This is why people generally say to drink grapefruit juice like 30-45 minutes prior to ingestion of the drug.

But who knows, I'm no expert. Maybe both the lime juice and Klonopin being absorbed sublingual is doing the trick. Atleast it seems to be the case for you.

Or possibly the addition of the lime juice in your mouth is just aiding the absorption of the Klonopin sublingually. So maybe no (or very little) actual enzyme inhibition is occurring, maybe the drug is just absorbing faster? Or a little of both? Dunno.
That's what I had been wondering before I tried it as well but when it worked I wasn't sure. I'm guessing it probably either has to do with some of the lime juice being absorbed sublingually and getting it's effects throughout the body a bit quicker than if I had drunken. My other hypothesis was that there's a possibility the chemicals in the lime were just kinda fusing with the molecules in the klonopin and they were being absorbed together in a stronger form but that's probably the less likely of the two and I have no way to test it.

Or I guess it still coulda been placebo.

Be aware though folks, that even optimum potentiation through the "Grapefruit Effect" are generally no stronger than maybe 10%. Sure, this can be meaningful for some people, but I just don't want people to be thinking that drinking grapefruit juice will somehow exponentially potentiate a substance. I've done most of them with grapefruit in the form of juice from cocentrate, whole grapefruits and everything in between. Most of my experimentation was with Methadone, but I've experimented with Benzodiazepines and the effect as well.

After doing it dozens of times, I just feel that it's not a truly significant potentiation. I would never have been able to differentiate between placebo.

Worked again for me last night. Completely blacked out while watching a movie and I have no idea what movie it was anymore. Woke up sleeping on top of my phone still wearing my watch.

Just two .5mg pills and 1/2 oz lime juice. All sublingually.

Not thinking it's placebo anymore.

Been meaning to try this, except, heres the thing... as much as I love klonopin, and how great it tastes, I have taken them sublingually before, and I just don't like to take them that way! I don't much like taking anything that way, because I always feel like I am losing some of its effects, and that not all of it is properly being absorbed.. the klonopin I have at the moment, are rather "hard" too, and don't dissolve as quickly taken sublingual, as some of the others I have had.. I would like to try this, probably the next refill I get, so I will have a surplus of pills, and even if it doesn't work for me, it wont be a big deal, right now I am down to the last of em, until my next refill... so I have just been chewing them, into small pieces between my front teeth like I always have done, for the most part.. every now and then I will crush one, wrap in a rolling paper, and parachute it.. but usually 95% of the time I chew them, and they always work great, even with the tolerance I have accumulated over the years.. but I have a brand new bottle of lime juice in my fridge, unopened, so next refill, I will sub one with the lime juice and give this a try...

Been meaning to try this, except, heres the thing... as much as I love klonopin, and how great it tastes, I have taken them sublingually before, and I just don't like to take them that way! I don't much like taking anything that way, because I always feel like I am losing some of its effects, and that not all of it is properly being absorbed.. the klonopin I have at the moment, are rather "hard" too, and don't dissolve as quickly taken sublingual, as some of the others I have had.. I would like to try this, probably the next refill I get, so I will have a surplus of pills, and even if it doesn't work for me, it wont be a big deal, right now I am down to the last of em, until my next refill... so I have just been chewing them, into small pieces between my front teeth like I always have done, for the most part.. every now and then I will crush one, wrap in a rolling paper, and parachute it.. but usually 95% of the time I chew them, and they always work great, even with the tolerance I have accumulated over the years.. but I have a brand new bottle of lime juice in my fridge, unopened, so next refill, I will sub one with the lime juice and give this a try...
That's fine. But someone should try it someday cause I really want to know if it's just me so report back if you decide to try it.

And just curious, what brand do you have? I've been using Teva .5's and Accord 1's. Accords dissolve faster and taste better but Teva works better for me.

Well, it may have been a coincidence but i think it might have worked. Normally when I'm mad or anxious or in pain I'll take one 1mg pill sublingually and leave it till it melts and it always works great to just keep me relaxed. Last night I put two .5mg pills under my tongue and dropped probably an ounce of lime juice onto them which made the pills melt way faster and kept it in my mouth for like 10 minutes.

About 35 minutes later I was hardly able to walk, eyes were small, I remember getting some food and changing clothes but then must have blacked out until waking up about 4 hours later on my bed on top of the blankets (which the weird part is I must have made my bed before laying on top of them) and the tv was still on with all the lights.

Basically the exact thing an Ambien does to me. i can try it again in a couple days once my tolerance goes down but I think the lime juice may have worked.
I tried what you said with the lime thing and 2mg of generic clonazepam (no flavouring agent) so it was the most disgusting thing I have ever experienced. I'll report back on if I feel like it hit harder than usual.

4:38pm Sydney time is when I finally swallowed the lime juice

At 5:13 I will check in to see if I feel fucked up

Last edited:

Definitely just a coincidence. Are you recreated your experiment with my recreational dose and im not feeling fucked up at all

To separate two different scenarios, first we are talking about the syatemic/metabolic effects of consuming these fruits. Second, there is the question of how lime juice or an otherwise acidic substance might effect the process of osmosis i.e. does an acidic solution increase the efficiency of absorption, it wouldn't surprise me at all.