• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Kief stuck in grinder teeth

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
Out of the 3 grinders I’ve had, every single one has had the kief get stuck in the teeth despite having a kief catching compartment. I used to think it was the grinder’s fault, but now that I have a High-end Santa Cruz Shredder I’m assuming that it’s something else causing this. I’ve read that you can put a coin in the grinder, or put it in the fridge/freezer but I wasn’t sure if that would actually do anything or not. Anybody else have this issue?

I’m not really sure what to tell you as I have had a Santa Cruz shredder and so has my girl and mine faired amazing with the keif collection but it could be your screen. Because here’s does the same. Another thing you may need to do is when you get done grinding and have no flower left over place a nickel in there and shake it around. Also do it with you your flower to get some of the excess trichomes off. Might make your weed a little less potent but if you get it cleaned to a good deal it should help you get a fair amount of keif
Out of the 3 grinders I’ve had, every single one has had the kief get stuck in the teeth despite having a kief catching compartment. I used to think it was the grinder’s fault, but now that I have a High-end Santa Cruz Shredder I’m assuming that it’s something else causing this. I’ve read that you can put a coin in the grinder, or put it in the fridge/freezer but I wasn’t sure if that would actually do anything or not. Anybody else have this issue?

iso wash is great for cleaning, but I always had trouble reclaiming the leftover goods.

when I go to salvage my kief and clean my grinders (before the occasional iso wash to get rid of the smell) I always use a grinder brush. It's just like the ones that come with electric razors, looks something like

Black-Clearn-Brush-for-Tobacco-Weed-Herb-Grinder-Crusher-Brush.jpg

it'll hold onto a TINY bit of your kief, but it can salvage 99.9% of it if you're smart about the order in which you brush each compartment. You want to go from the top down, so that the kief constantly falls to a lower compartment, until it's finally all in the bottom chamber, ready for you to scrape into a ~1g-sized pile.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure even a clean paint brush would work. You know, one of the tiny watercolor ones.

As a final thought, if your grinder's been so caked up for so long that the kief's turned to low-grade hash, a brush is not going to help. In that case your only options are to handscrape the grinder, which is a pain in the ass I've gone through before, or to just go through the iso wash once or twice. My problem was always using too much iso and too broad of a drying dish, so it was almost pointless to scrape by the time it was done drying.

That's what turned me off from iso-wash to reclaim, but don't repeat my mistakes and you should be fine.

*Just saw your last question. Yeah, you could submerge it in a jar, but that would use a lot of iso. I liked to put mine in a ziplock bag, and try to just fill the interior as much as I could before closing it all tight (still in the bag). Seal the bag, make sure it stays that way and give it an occasion light shake. Try to keep it upright and any iso from leaking through. You can do this for as long as you like with the occasional shake, and your results will vary per wash depending on how dirty your grinder is. You might get it clean in one go, it might take two or three tries to salvage everything.

When you're done, find a shallow dish to dump the iso in and let evaporate. This'll take a while, but once done all your dried up leftovers should remain, ready to be scraped up.

When I did it the end result was more of a golden stain on a plate, though, so get a little more info before attempting everything the way I did. I'm pretty sure I just overestimated the amount of kief in my grinders and used much too large of "cooking utensils" to end up with my disappointing final product. I'll have to try again one of these days... but honestly, I always had great results using a handheld kief-press and a heatlamp to make lowgrade hash pucks. Those are fuckiing wonderful, just a pain in the ass to make. Slow process all-around, from gathering enough kief to make several quarter-sized pucks to actually making the pucks. Low heat and a constant re-tightening of the press over several hours. I just got tired of doing it, tbh.

Last edited:
Ima try that with my girls just put the whole thing in a jar of iso?

I’ve put my grinders in a shallow glass dish and just cover them with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and cap the dish. You can swirl or agitate it every now and then. I’d usually put my grinders through at least 2, sometimes 3 washes. Combine all the iso and *safely* evaporate. Meaning not indoors and not near a flame/heat source. Sometimes I put the open dish of iso in a bigger dish and slowly add hot water to the outer dish, replacing the hot water as necessary. It can be done indoors but unlrss you have the proper equipment it’s not worth the risk in my opinion.

Tom

Exactly. I have a large pyrex dish that I solely use to evaporate 91% iso full of trichome goodies. I then scrape up the goods with a razor (like a paint scraping type you'd get at the hardware store) and smoke them after at least 24, if not 48 hours of drying.

No kief is lost, your screen is cleaner and lets kief through, and your grinder will return to it's original cleanliness.

Make sure you use at least 91%, anything less won't do. 70% is garbage and barely pulls anything.

Also remember, the more liquid volume you use to clean it, the more you have to evaporate. Less is more in this case unless you have a particularly gummed up spot.

If you're like me, you ran out of isopropyl due to the pandemic.

In the meantime, you can try a couple other options such as drying it out in the sun as well as putting it in the freezer and then either gently brushing off the kief with a brush (as Jibult described) or banging it against the ground. I imagine a coin could also help but I wouldn't put a dirty one in there.

Another option is to break up the buds with your fingers. Sure you miss out on the kief rewards, but you also don't have to deal with reclaiming lost kief as well. It helps to reduce finger hash build up if you have clean, dry hands when using fingers to get the job done. You could go as far as wearing latex gloves but that's only for really big jobs.

Alcohol evaporate has never posed an issue for me with any sort of decent ventilation.
Butane you need to be extremely careful with. My friend was making honey oil outside on his porch.
A vapor trail found its way through their kitchen window and found their stove.
Explosively ignited the whole trail. It just so happened they were leaving me a voice mail when it ignited.
All I could hear was chaos and screaming. Luckily they weren't near it enough to be burned, the girlfriend just lost her shit.

Alcohol evaporate has never posed an issue for me with any sort of decent ventilation.
Butane you need to be extremely careful with. My friend was making honey oil outside on his porch.
A vapor trail found its way through their kitchen window and found their stove.
Explosively ignited the whole trail. It just so happened they were leaving me a voice mail when it ignited.
All I could hear was chaos and screaming. Luckily they weren't near it enough to be burned, the girlfriend just lost her shit.
Damn, that sounds crazy! I'm going to be using iso alcohol though, got a bunch and my grinder could use some cleaning after over 10 years of service.

Get 190 proof and you don’t have to worry about iso Evap plus you’ll be drunk enough to drag race a redneck on a lawnmower when your done

Long-term marijuana use may increase the risk of periodontal disease, but it does not pose a higher risk for other physical health problems. The periodontal disease initially appears in gingivitis, and if left untreated, it turns into periodontitis. At this stage, the bone is affected, which eventually results in tooth loss. Marijuana smokers tend to brush their teeth less often than non-drug smokers, and they are also more prone to alcohol abuse. At TheHealthySmile, you can get quality dental treatment and receive valuable information on how to take care of your teeth.
Sticky brown stuff spammer.