• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Kidney damage is possibly linked to "synthetic marijuana" use

The Network

Bluelighter
http://www.uab.edu/news/latest/item/3133-uab-doctors-synthetic-marijuana-dangerous-for-kidneys

University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) nephrologists have reported for the first time in medical literature cases of acute kidney injury directly linked with synthetic marijuana use. The case studies are reported online in the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology and will appear in the March 2013 print edition of the journal.

The authors report that nephrotoxicity — the poisonous effect of a substance on the kidneys — from designer drugs such as SPICE or K2, which mimic the effects of marijuana but are man-made and cannot be detected in routine drug tests, should be considered when a patient presents with acute kidney injury and no other evident cause. This is especially true for young adults with negative urine drug screens, said the paper’s senior author Denyse Thornley-Brown, M.D., associate professor in the UAB Division of Nephrology.

Don't know. Don't care.

Seems like it's completely possible that these people didn't drink enough water or had a contaminated product, both articles look like isolated cases, which most likely means all from one source/batch.

I'm certainly not saying that it's safe though. Just that no one has irrefutable proof that the cannabinoids are dangerous.

A question for anybody: It's often said in this forum that it's easier for US minors to buy cannabis than to buy alcohol, and that therefore the illegality of cannabis does nothing to deter teenage use. So then why are these synthetics so popular? If people can readily buy the superior cannabis, why does anybody even bother with these synthetics? Might it not be that prohibition bears at least a little fruit?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. It amazes me that anyone buys synthetics.

So then why are these synthetics so popular? If people can readily buy the superior cannabis, why does anybody even bother with these synthetics?

Personally, I find that JWH-018 is less debilitating or mind-clouding than cannabis. It produces less paranoia, fewer auditory hallucinations, is more stimulating, is short-acting (I can count on the high subsiding soon if I overshoot the mark), and simply feels healthier for my state of mental well-being. Since I mix up my own stuff I can make it as weak as I want, and I know I can achieve more standardized doses than what you'd get with Spice or other pre-made blends. I rarely have any "accidents."

I still like good-old cannabis, but it's a different high, really. Somebody once described real weed as being a full orchestra, and any given synthetic cannabinoid as only one instrument. I fully agree. Sometimes it's easier to listen to one instrument, especially when you're in no mood for a cacophonous onslaught :\

A question for anybody: It's often said in this forum that it's easier for US minors to buy cannabis than to buy alcohol, and that therefore the illegality of cannabis does nothing to deter teenage use. So then why are these synthetics so popular? If people can readily buy the superior cannabis, why does anybody even bother with these synthetics? Might it not be that prohibition bears at least a little fruit?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. It amazes me that anyone buys synthetics.
im on mh phone so no spelling and grammar.

But i think itsbecause they think if they do get caught (school parents cops whatever) they thibk they cant get introuble and wont be punished.

Seems like it's completely possible that these people didn't drink enough water

It's a lot more than that, you don't damage your kidneys from dehydration.

More likely is either one of these neo-cannabinoids is not good for your kidneys, or there is some adulterant in the herbs (c.f. cadmium in URB)

Synthetic marijuana linked to kidney damage

Michelle Castillo said:
February 14, 2013, 12:33 PM

Some people may consider smoking synthetic marijuana be a more harmless alternative, but researchers are warning that it may take a toll on their kidneys.

Four case studies have linked the marijuana-alternative drug to kidney damage. The findings appeared in the March 2013 print edition of the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

"Cases of acute coronary syndrome associated with synthetic marijuana use have been reported, but our publication is the first to associate use with acute kidney injury," study co-author Dr. Gaurav Jain, assistant professor in the Division of Nephrology, said in a press release.

Synthetic marijuana is a designer drug that mimics the effects of pot. Study authors pointed out that its low price of about $20 a gram makes it appealing. It is sold under a variety of names including K2 and Spice. Usually made from a blend of different herbs, it is often sprayed with synthetic cannabinoid compounds.

Though first sold legally in gas stations starting in 2008 -- and labeled "not for human consumption" -- most of the active chemicals are now a DEA Schedule I drug. Synthetic marijuana is currently banned in 38 states, and the Food and Drug Administration has banned wholesale purchases as of 2012.

A December 2012 report by the Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), a part of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), revealed that 11,406 people went to the emergency room because of synthetic pot in 2010. Fifty-nine percent of the patients only had synthetic marijuana in their system, and 36 percent had consumed another substance as well. One-third of the patients were between the ages of 12 to 17, and another 35 percent were between 18 and 24. Seventy-eight percent were men.

Study: Most teens think occasional weed use OK
Synthetic marijuana sent more than 11,400 people to ER in 2010
Many synthetic drugs still legal after "bath salts" ban

Fitting the demographic of the typical synthetic marijuana user, the researchers looked at four different cases of previously healthy young men. They all went to a hospital within a nine-week period and had symptoms of nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain after using the drug. Three of the men had abnormally low urine levels, and a fourth had lower blood flow to the kidney. In addition, the biopsies of three of the subjects showed that they had kidney cell death, which can lead to kidney failure. However, the men were able to regain their kidney function and did not need dialysis.

Because the men were in the same area and had the same symptoms around the same time, doctors believe the synthetic marijuana was linked to the health episodes.

They do point out that because there was only four cases and they were unable to get a sample of the synthetic marijuana as well as the patients' serum and urine samples, they cannot claim that synthetic marijuana caused the acute kidney injury. Because there are many additives in the drug, it could be one of the particular chemicals not the cannabinoid that caused the damage.

"There is very little information regarding the ingredients in synthetic cannabinoids that are sold on the streets, although it is known that additional compounds are added to the preparations," Jain added. "It is very likely that a possible nephrotoxin adulterated the preparation used by our patients."

But, another study published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on Feb. 14 showed that 16 cases of synthetic marijuana-related acute kidney injury were recorded in 2012, suggesting that there may be more links to the designer drug and kidney damage.

Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency medicine physician at Lenox Hill Hopsital in New York who was not involved in the study, told CBSNews.com that he thought the study brought awareness to an important issue: Synthetic marijuana is dangerous.

"We know that products like K2 and Spice are dangerous and can cause agitation, acute psychosis, acute elevations in blood pressure leading to acute coronary syndromes -- however this study points out another significant risk of this dangerous synthetic compound," he said.

The authors recommended that medical professionals ask about designer drug use when looking at patients who may have potential kidney injuries, especially if the cause is unknown and a urine screen turns up negative for drugs. They also warn young people that synthetic marijuana -- even though it's not a "real" drug -- can have real consequences.

"If they don't get to a physician in time, the damage to their kidneys could be permanent, and they could end up on dialysis," Jain added.

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57569416/synthetic-marijuana-linked-to-kidney-damage/

[Note: I haven't actually read this article, yet, so if it's bullshit propaganda, please forgive me, although don't take that to mean I don't think highlighting propaganda is a band thing either...]

It's a lot more than that, you don't damage your kidneys from dehydration.

More likely is either one of these neo-cannabinoids is not good for your kidneys, or there is some adulterant in the herbs (c.f. cadmium in URB)

I wasn't saying that just not drinking water will kill your kidneys. Although it will cause kidney failure in extreme cases. It could have been that this is just like any other drug you should watch your water intake with. E and alcohol will both fuck your kidneys up if you don't drink enough water. But that doesn't mean they're not safe.

mods: to whomever, thanks for merging it :)

people buy 'em, or used to buy 'em, because testing for them in the early days was very very very uncommon, if ever at all (and I'm talking lab testing, forget the home kits). bottom line though, money...

fwiw sythetic cannibinoids, even after federal and state bans, whether in products like spice knockoffs or the straight chem(s), well they've muuuuuuuuuch cheaper (doesn't apply to my city, but to other large metro areas north of me too I visit) than anything but the worse nug (worst being the "cannabis" that looks like cow pies which you can be 1/4lb for 25-50$ usd).

and, well, my experience might not count for that much, because most kids around seems to have a hard time buying spice-like products (irl, not off the net - off the net I'm sure they'd have no problems, then and probably still now) until they turn 18. 99% of head/smoke shops around here are strict ass motherfuckers about carding and ids. so the 'unger ones will get a slightly older friend or schoolmate or one of their brothers to get it form em. but in that case it's the same as booze, getting someone else older to buy it for em they know, but in that case it's more so older siblings/black sheep family members

i used to love the stuff, actually was very impressed with most - not all but most - of the synthetic cannabinoids, but that was after I hadn't smoked weed in a long time. since smoking a good L again I've more or less lost interest in 'em

Last edited by a moderator:
So then why are these synthetics so popular? If people can readily buy the superior cannabis, why does anybody even bother with these synthetics? Might it not be that prohibition bears at least a little fruit?

I have the answer for my usage: Probation. I knew that I could use almost any 'noids while on juvenile as well as adult probation without failing a urinalysis. I also got hooked on 'noids as a juvenile. Literally the day I got off of juvenile probation, I switched to weed.