• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ketone/Ester bioisostere

clubcard

Bluelighter
In the late 1960s a German group studied ethylsulfonyl groups as potential bioisosteres for both esters and ketones. The ethylsulfonyl replaced the esters in pethidine & prodine but more interesting to me is that it also replaced the ketone in ketobemidone - sulfonylbemidone, I suppose. I'm fairly confident that this isn't going to lead to people rushing out to make them - it's quite a lot of effort. I note from 3,3-dimethyl pethidine & 3,3-dimethyl prodine are as potent as the trans isomers of the monomethyl analogues. Likewise, a 3,3 dimethyl moiety on the piperidine ring of propiram also provided the most active (except for adding a 4-phenyl - that overlays fentanyl). Even non-rigid analogues like Dimethylaminopivalophenone (which overlays 3,3-dimethyl pethidine) was the only active member of the class. Adding a S=O spacer to the metofoline's 4-chlorophenylethyl to produce a [(chlorophenyl)sulfinyl]ethyl increases activity by at least an order of magnitude.

Bioisosteres are an interesting concept and without doubt provide potential alternatives. About the most interesting fact was that the sulfonylethyl and sulfonyl-N-propyl are equipotent but the latter is more toxic. If you throw all of those into Reaxys, you will get a whole heap of refs. On a cautionary note, none of them have been trialled in humans and luckily, the low potency (compared with the fentanyl class) does not make them targets of gray markets (well, maybe the 3,3-dimethyl-4-phenyl derivative of metopholine will be some x120 morphine but no WAY is that a simple target.

I'm not listed refs but it is ALL on the Eunoia disc so the people with that 4.7 Gb DVD (almost full) have all of the papers. I'm kind of concerned that dubious people are just looking to make millions in 1 deal. Carfentanil is NOT a good option. It's killed people I know. Interestingly, sufentanil has a truly VAST TI and is inherently a very safe options and the 2-thienyl can be swapped with a 2-furanyl so the product is a)unlisted (but in 1970s ICI patents) & b)novel c)not currently looked out for - apparently x1500 M isn't enough!

So it seems a good move to look at the current situation and wonder why such awful agents represent most of the market. We all know that replacing the N-methyl of levorphanol with an N-phenyl ethyl, an N-(2-thienyl)-ethyl, N-(2-furanyl)-ethyl exist with the latter being x8 (levorphanol) x30 (2-thienyl) & 2-(2-furanyl) x60 have truly VAST TIs. Adding a beta-hydroxy (like the beta-hydroxy fentanyls) also doubles potency.

So, I just posted this with a view to pointing out that the people ordering the stuff have no idea of medicinal chemistry and the Chinese producers aren't very imaginative. Butorphanol can have the -CH3 swapped for an N-2-(2-furanyl)-ethyl in 2 simple steps... but does this reduce the damages opioids are causing or do people simply keep upping the dose to push that TI?

I don't know - I just know that 95% of compounds aren't on the web but they are on the Eunoia Disc so people looking through that will see the massive number of papers and patents... but I presume people who have it are NOT clandestine drug designers - it's just a comprehensive list (2 years of Reaxys research) of everything known (until 2016).

Can we influence the market to push safer alternatives? Should we be producing exhaustive lists with TI data? I don't know - but the data is ALL in 1 place and available to all (well, dozens of discs were produced and so the data isn't controlled).

Butorphanol analogs might well be a big and rather nasty failure on the grey market. Butorphanol is a partial MOR agonist and a KOR agonist. If someone is already dependent physically on opioids then it'll turn ugly quickly.

Butorphanol analogs might well be a big and rather nasty failure on the grey market. Butorphanol is a partial MOR agonist and a KOR agonist. If someone is already dependent physically on opioids then it'll turn ugly quickly.

The affinity is because of the N-methylcyclobutyl moiety. 'Opioids' by R.Lenz et al lists the N-methyl homologue as being a pure μ agonist with the same potency as levorphanol. The N-dealkylation which has been reported by a group in Vienna. It's just a practical example of tertiary amine->tertiary amine oxide -> secondary amine. That is still more complex that is required. Formation of a quaternary amine followed by dequaternization is more convenient. There is a simple rule on dequaternization - the most stable ionic intermediate will be lost so methyl iodide followed by dequternization yields 100% N-methyl. Although closer in energy, adding a phenylethyl iodide likewise results in cyclobutylmethyl iodide being lost. Likewise the 2-(2-thienyl)ethyl and 2-(2-furanyl)ethyl. Allyl groups can be directly removed but need a rather costly catalyst. Naloxone is the cheapest source of noroxymorphone so that has also been published. Parr Hydrogenation units are pretty costly.

In the end, phenylethyl iodide & sodium thiophenolate represents to most convenient 2-step route although I would contend that going for the methyl is simpler and adding a 14-phenylpropoxy (as Schmidhammer did) leads to products in the range of x thousands with the important difference that it doesn't suppress respiration much and has a huge TI.

The whole set is on the Eunoia Disc so just sit through that; I did. A lot of papers but since it's free, it's useful to everyone.

BTW LC - empty your mail-box. I'm not going to be sending de facto data that contravines site rules but long, complex discussions get derailed on here.

The whole set is on the Eunoia Disc

I'd like a .torrent if you don't mind... google seems to turn up nothing but Oulipo type literary works!

Parr Hydrogenation units are pretty costly.

Transfer H2?

Yeah same, I keep hearing about the eunoia disc, as something that sounds tasty but not sure where to get it.

And do you mean my PM inbox? I have cleared out some space.

Isomer Design is tasked with the distribution. It's more or less down to them who receives it. Erowid also have a copy and the entire Erowid database is on it, just to give you some idea of scale. I don't know who else has it but I'm given to believe only a dozen copies exist. It IS free - nobody is allowed to sell it but likewise, if someone wants it, I'm afraid it has to go via the Canadian Guy (ID).

I believe the ID guy is here somewhere so your names should be familiar. Sorry I cannot just sent but I did make a promise.